Magic and Cast Members

disneyfromvermo

Original Poster
My wife and I were just talking about our experiences in Disney where cast members added to the magic. On our first trip to WDW we had dinner reservations and were about to line up for SSE. We asked a CM if we would have time to ride and make our dinner reservations. He asked us when our reservations were and took us in a side door so we were able to ride and make our dinner. Often it is just the little things like the attitude of a cast member when you are purchased a snack item from a vendor. Anyway, based on our experiences, we have seen the best CMs at Epcot. Conversely, the few negative experiences we have had (all rather minor) were at MGM. So, I am curious. Where have others had their best/worst CM interactions?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I only recall one sort of negative CM experience... At Sci-Fi Dine-In Theatre, on our last day at WDW we had one left-over Table Service each on the DDP. We went to Sci-Fi in hope of having lunch. At the outside check-in, the CM bluntly said there were no openings at all for the rest of the day. When I asked if he knew where we could find a Table-Service that could accommodate us, he rather gruffly suggested we could ask at the desk inside if they could check other restaurants' availability. Basically, he wasn't really trying to be helpful, it was more just trying to get rid of us.

We went in to see CM Shannon at the desk. I asked if she could find us a Table Service that could seat us within the next hour or so to finish off our DDP credits. She smiled and said "No problem! We can fit you in here right away!" I told her the CM outside had said there wasn't a chance and she just laughed and said "Oh, he never has a clue anyway!" :rolleyes: She took our names, filled out a card and we were seated within 15 minutes. Moments after she'd signed us in, she went on break and he moved to the inside desk and we heard him turning every walk-in away because there was no room at all :hammer:. Thank heaven our timing got us Shannon!:sohappy:

While we were in the restaurant, we saw a number of tables sit empty for the entire time we were there... There may be other reasons for that, but...

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
MontyMon said:
I only recall one sort of negative CM experience... At Sci-Fi Dine-In Theatre, on our last day at WDW we had one left-over Table Service each on the DDP. We went to Sci-Fi in hope of having lunch. At the outside check-in, the CM bluntly said there were no openings at all for the rest of the day. When I asked if he knew where we could find a Table-Service that could accommodate us, he rather gruffly suggested we could ask at the desk inside if they could check other restaurants' availability. Basically, he wasn't really trying to be helpful, it was more just trying to get rid of us.

We went in to see CM Shannon at the desk. I asked if she could find us a Table Service that could seat us within the next hour or so to finish off our DDP credits. She smiled and said "No problem! We can fit you in here right away!" I told her the CM outside had said there wasn't a chance and she just laughed and said "Oh, he never has a clue anyway!" :rolleyes: She took our names, filled out a card and we were seated within 15 minutes. Moments after she'd signed us in, she went on break and he moved to the inside desk and we heard him turning every walk-in away because there was no room at all :hammer:. Thank heaven our timing got us Shannon!:sohappy:

While we were in the restaurant, we saw a number of tables sit empty for the entire time we were there... There may be other reasons for that, but...
Too bad you don't know his name.

He needs to be gone if he can't do his job properly.
(He probably already is, since even his co-workers knew of his ineptness(is that a word?))

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
unkadug said:
Too bad you don't know his name.

He needs to be gone if he can't do his job properly.
(He probably already is, since even his co-workers knew of his ineptness(is that a word?))

His name was Mike, but it was in February... He's either gone or has learnt by now [I would hope]

tirian

I find that Epcot has many of the most genuine CMs; the majority of them truly believe in the park's purpose. Of course, the park's internal culture helps to promote a sense of meaning. For example, each week's Tell-A-Cast features an inspirational quote by Walt Disney, and the main cast building has both pictures of the park's construction/opening events and a hallway covered with murals painted by CMs from each of the pavilions (plus janitorial services).

The CMs at the other parks are good, too; but I find that those at the Studios tend to be the most relaxed.

As for bad experiences...

>>I've watched the same Fantasyland ride op goof off on the phone in three different attractions instead of taking care of Guests. I even purposely didn't pull down the safety bar on a ride and rolled right past her!

>>I've also had an experience with a decidedly drunk (and possibly drugged) CM at MK Guest Relations.

>>At the Polynesian, a grouchy CM told me that I needed to use my brain: I was returning an item for my parents, and I know that if she hadn't been so lazy, she could have given me store credit. (Unfortunately, she saw my ID and assumed she could be obnoxious.)

>>Finally, at Epcot, a stupid CM told me that I couldn't ride through an attraction again because there were people in line (the queue was absolutely empty).

But as long as I've been here, I consider a mere four bad experiences to be a great track record. The majority of CMs are thrilled to be employed at WDW, and they allow that enthusiasm to carry over into their Guest interactions. I truly believe that WDW has some of the most dedicated employees out of any company.

mhead

In contrast to what others have said our worst CM experiences have been at Epcot followed closely by MK. As I have said before in other threads though, the number of negative CM experiences has been on an upward trend for the last several years - I hope that changes soon.

tirian

As I have said before in other threads though, the number of negative CM experiences has been on an upward trend for the last several years - I hope that changes soon.

Unfortunately, that's true. As WDW expands, the casting service can't be as selective as it once was.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom