Macy's Idea NOT New to Universal!

General Grizz

Original Poster
I just remembered - you know how Universal just did their Macy's parade? Well, didn't the Disney-MGM studios ALSO have a Macys-style parade when they opened back in the early 90s??? :animwink: :D

*Tsk tsk tsk*

Sketch105

Yes, its true. I remember years ago that Disney MGM had the Macy's stars, the Goofy (dressed santa claus with a wreath) balloon, and the Betty Boop balloon (as well as others) floating above the New York backlot. However, it wasn't a parade.

pheneix

I don't think this is proof of how un-original Universal is as it is proof of how Disney has ran off so many different companies from under it's wing this past decade.

I do remember some kind of Macy's event, but is was nothing like the Christmas parade that Universal has put on.

The_CEO

Its nothing to go see. Its not half the size of the real thing and the ballons look mini. It seemed they fill in the parade with floats and "CM's" to take your mind off the lack of ballons they have.:rolleyes:

WDWspider

Originally posted by the_ceo_at_wdw
Its nothing to go see. Its not half the size of the real thing and the ballons look mini. It seemed they fill in the parade with floats and "CM's" to take your mind off the lack of ballons they have.:rolleyes:

Sounds neat to me, most parks would never go through that much trouble. I can't wait to see it someday. The real thing is sponsered by all kinds of people, I think Universal is doing pretty good.

pheneix

>>>It seemed they fill in the parade with floats and "CM's" to take your mind off the lack of ballons they have.<<<

You did happen to go to the "Balloonopolis" section, didn't you? That is where they kept the largest balloons for display because they are too large for Universal's parade route.

General Grizz

Original Poster
Alas, here is a piece from a guidebook that I just found:

"MACY'S BALLOONS"

It may look like Manhattan, but it's the Disney/MGM Studios, where giant Goofy and Betty Boop inflatables, original from Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, floated above the backlot facades on New York Street - a once-in-a-lifetime re-creation of the famous parade scene."

There is also a picture. I'll scan it if anyone is interested.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom