Lord of the Rings: Return of the Rumor

some other guy

Who wants the rights to use Tolkien IP when anybody can appeal directly to the heirs to also exploit Tolkien IP? If the rights aren't exclusive, they're pretty much worthless (which is probably why these right are being dumped in the general market).

Disney already has plenty of family friendly and more easily digestible medieval fantasy properties, that they don't need something so hard core. A live action Black Cauldron and a Willow sequel are on the way...
>more easily digestible
>Black Cauldron
>Willow

more like easily indigestible
but yeah, The Mouse has plenty of sword and sorcery to go around if they really wanted, I can't see them just getting theme park rights

Uni already has Harry Potter but that's a lot more sorcery, way less sword, so maybe there could be room there?
tbh the best thing would be to just build out from the Shire sets in NZ

So Over It

I love the LOTR trilogy. Those three films will forever rank as some of the best in cinema for me.

With that being said, I don't see how this franchise easily translates to good theme park ride material. So much of the plot happens on foot, out in the open. Whereas with Potter, you have brooms, and Hogwarts itself, all of which make it easier to tell the stories through a ride experience. It could still work with LOTR, but it lends itself more to a movie adventure, imo.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I love the LOTR trilogy. Those three films will forever rank as some of the best in cinema for me.

With that being said, I don't see how this franchise easily translates to good theme park ride material. So much of the plot happens on foot, out in the open. Whereas with Potter, you have brooms, and Hogwarts itself, all of which make it easier to tell the stories through a ride experience. It could still work with LOTR, but it lends itself more to a movie adventure, imo.
A water ride. Everyone gets their own barrel.

So Over It

A water ride. Everyone gets their own barrel.
Outside of Smaug's character, I didn't really care much for the Hobbit trilogy. Maybe because I was always comparing it to LOTR, which are the biggest shoes you could attempt to fill.

If they were going to implement LOTR and Hobbit into a theme park land, the barrel idea could work.

GuyFawkes

Really, you like endless battle scenes? I liked the movies but endless battle scenes just don't do it for me.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Outside of Smaug's character, I didn't really care much for the Hobbit trilogy. Maybe because I was always comparing it to LOTR, which are the biggest shoes you could attempt to fill.

If they were going to implement LOTR and Hobbit into a theme park land, the barrel idea could work.
One thing to remember when comparing the two works is the Hobbit was for all intents and purposes a children's book. The Lord of the Rings was an adult tale. In short, LotR is simply a better, much more involved story.

some other guy

One thing to remember when comparing the two works is the Hobbit was for all intents and purposes a children's book. The Lord of the Rings was an adult tale. In short, LotR is simply a better, much more involved story.
also LotR was a lot to fit into three long movies, Hobbit is a lot shorter of a story. Probably would have worked better in the earlier plan of two movies with GdT doing it more as his own thing than Pete Jackson's Lord Of The Rings Year Zero
making a Hobbit story in the mold of LotR is like when people drop Mario 3 levels one-for-one into Mario World's engine, it doesn't make either thing bad, but they don't really fit each others' approach

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom