Longest training run for a half marathon?

Ariel484

Original Poster
So I know there was a similar thread concerning marathon training...

There was a post on the RunDisney Facebook page reminding folks that this weekend is the 12.5-mile long run on the Galloway plan for the Princess Half, which I am using. Quite a few people commented that this seems too long for half training...and the longest long run is 14 miles two weeks from tomorrow. I have looked at other plans that top out at 12 miles...

Any opinions on this? I am not sure if I want to change things up a bit or just stick to it at this point. :shrug:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
So I know there was a similar thread concerning marathon training...

There was a post on the RunDisney Facebook page reminding folks that this weekend is the 12.5-mile long run on the Galloway plan for the Princess Half, which I am using. Quite a few people commented that this seems too long for half training...and the longest long run is 14 miles two weeks from tomorrow. I have looked at other plans that top out at 12 miles...

Any opinions on this? I am not sure if I want to change things up a bit or just stick to it at this point. :shrug:
I have friends that ran in college for their universities and a lot of friends that run for fun (excluding this site) and they all say that for a half, make your long run a mile or two longer than 13.1. After a year and 3 halves of this running stuff, I think that it is very beneficial to run farther that 13.1 if you are doing a half. Once I took on the mileage of training for a full, 13.1 seemed routine like. Now, that doesnt mean I think you should go max out 26.2 if you are attempting a full.

There is something about it. I remember only running 12 miles (the furthest) the first time I did a half. Looking back on it, the next two I would run my longest 14 or 15. It always seemed like 13 wasnt so foreign in the race since I had done it already 2 or 3 weeks prior.

I think it is a mental thing. I think it provides much confidence. It is all up to the individual, but if you can do a long of 12, you can add 2 miles to say on race day, "I have done this mileage. I know I can do it because I have done it before. Now lets go kick butt."

Sorry so wordy. :lol:

I'm training to do a half marathon in October with the hopes of running the WDW half in January. I have my first ever 10K event in May which is the equivalent of 6.2 miles. I plan on training to be able to run 7-8 miles before that race day. That way I know that I'm able to comfortably run that 6.2 miles. The same goes for the half. I plan on being able to comfortably run anywhere from 14 - 16 miles before my half that way on race day I know that I will be able to complete that 13.1 miles without fear of hitting 12 miles and running out of gas.

bellissimo

I think it's best to do a run long than 13.1. Not multiple runs, but hitting that number one or two times, as long as you remain injury free, would probably be very much beneficial to your training. Of course, I'm just a seventeen year old, so maybe I'm not the best judge of this.

And, I happened to have run my first and only half marathon (this past January) at WDW. Prior to the race date, my longest consecutive run was.. 7.5 miles. I nearly doubled that during the half, and didn't even stop once. And ontop of this, I somehow managed to maintain an 8.35 mile pace throughout the entire thing- so I'm assuming it varies based on person, or the physical aptitude that the person at hand has for running, or if they're built for it, etc. I'm young, and currently injury free, so I'm sure that contributed greatly to it. Just do what you feel comfortable with- if a 12 mile run seems like too much, then don't worry about it. The last few miles may be tough during the actual race, but you'll be able to finish if you've gotten that far.

scorp111

Doing my first half on Super Bowl Sunday, my longest run before hand will be a couple of 12's. But an extra 10 minutes when you have already run for 2:15 (I am not that fast you see) isn't that much of a worry for me.

Ideally would I have done 13.1 prior to the half? Maybe. But I am have been nursing a little bit of ankle injury, and the extra mile just hasn't fit yet.

But I would say anything in the 12-14 range and you should be ready.

I just finished my first half and my longest run prior to the race was 10.7 miles. About this time of the 1/2 I felt dead and was wishing I had done one or two longer runs so that I would know what my legs would feel like at the end, as well as for the mental part of it.

Erin_Akey

My longest training run for the WDW Half was 11 miles. Guess where I began to get tired? YEP mile 11! For my next half in April, I am going to shoot for 13-15 for my long one.

Ariel484

Original Poster
Thanks for the opinions everyone. I am surprised everyone seems to think going longer than 13.1 is best since I haven't seen that in other plans (SmartCoach, Higdon, etc.).

At this point I think I am going to stick to the plan and see it through to the end...probably not a great idea to switch things up only a month out. :D

bethram

Good topic!

I'm training for the half next month too, but I missed out on my long run this morning because I'm coming down with bronchitis for the third time since I started training and was wheezing and had to stop at 2.5 miles.

I started following the Galloway program at the beginning of my training, but I've picked up my number of runs each week because I didn't feel like I was running enough and I've been taking long runs every weekend, not every other weekend. I'll try for 12.5 plus next weekend since I didn't do it today.

Ariel484

Original Poster
Good topic!

I'm training for the half next month too, but I missed out on my long run this morning because I'm coming down with bronchitis for the third time since I started training and was wheezing and had to stop at 2.5 miles.

I started following the Galloway program at the beginning of my training, but I've picked up my number of runs each week because I didn't feel like I was running enough and I've been taking long runs every weekend, not every other weekend. I'll try for 12.5 plus next weekend since I didn't do it today.

Bronchitis, yikes! I hope you feel better soon.

I completely agree with what you are saying about the Galloway plan...I stretch the 30 minute runs to 45 and have tried to add in a fourth day. I think I am going to try a Hal Higdon plan for my next half.

Texas84

I did the Galloway half plan for the January WDW half. I ran the 14 Christmas morning and I honestly got a little emotional when I finished. You talk about a feeling of accomplishment. Wow! I think it's a mental part of the training. Since then I've done two halfs. I want to do the full next year. If you are worried about 14, do NOT look at Galloway's marathon plan! Brutal. :D

Ariel484

Original Poster
I did the Galloway half plan for the January WDW half. I ran the 14 Christmas morning and I honestly got a little emotional when I finished. You talk about a feeling of accomplishment. Wow! I think it's a mental part of the training. Since then I've done two halfs. I want to do the full next year. If you are worried about 14, do NOT look at Galloway's marathon plan! Brutal. :D

I absolutely understand the mental aspect of it, and at this point I think I am just going to finish it out and do the 14-miler. I guess the people commenting on the Facebook post were worried about overtraining, and that made me nervous...but I felt pretty good finishing the 12.5-miler yesterday, just normal soreness today.

And I have seen his marathon plan...are you thinking of the one with a 21- and 24-miler? YIKES. :eek: I think for my first marathon (hopefully Disney 2012) I am going to use a plan that maxes out at 20. Are you going to use his marathon plan?

dreamfinder

Most 1/2 plans I have seen have you do at least a 12, if not a 14 or so. If for no other reason than to get it under your belt. Most fulls do tend to stop at 22 or so.

joel_maxwell

My longest training run for the WDW Half was 11 miles. Guess where I began to get tired? YEP mile 11! For my next half in April, I am going to shoot for 13-15 for my long one.
That is why I like to run over the required now. I tuckered out around 10-11 on my first too. Live and learn. Good luck next time. Im sure you will beat your PR.

Phonedave

I think the difference is that at 20-22 miles most people begin to get into the 'wall' range.

Your muscles may get tired if you are not used to running 13 -14 miles, but you are not going to hit that complete depeltion of energy that can happen at 20-22. So going the extra 2-3 miles on your long runs when training for a half is really not that big a deal.

Going to the mid to high 20's every week can set you back in your training if you are training for a full. You would really have to watch your diet and post run recovery otherwise.

-dave

joel_maxwell

I think the difference is that at 20-22 miles most people begin to get into the 'wall' range.

Your muscles may get tired if you are not used to running 13 -14 miles, but you are not going to hit that complete depeltion of energy that can happen at 20-22. So going the extra 2-3 miles on your long runs when training for a half is really not that big a deal.

Going to the mid to high 20's every week can set you back in your training if you are training for a full. You would really have to watch your diet and post run recovery otherwise.

-dave
I might disagree and say it isnt for energy consuption etc, but mentally, I think it is very important for newbie runners like I was last year and some others. It takes away the stress of "Can I do this" on race day and makes you focus on doing your best.

Phonedave

I might disagree and say it isnt for energy consuption etc, but mentally, I think it is very important for newbie runners like I was last year and some others. It takes away the stress of "Can I do this" on race day and makes you focus on doing your best.

I should have clarified.

Going the extra 2 or 3 miles is not a big deal ..... as far as damaging your training schedule or causing you to require extended rest.

That's really where I was going with that statement.

I agree, from the mental aspect it is a huge deal. I know it was a big deal to me when training for my first half that I knew I could complete it before I went into it.

-dave

JillC LI

I'd have to say it depends on what your goal is. Are you running the race with the notion that this is the only time you will run 13.1 miles and you just want to finish? If so, I'd say that a practice run of 12 miles will get you through the race, and you'll be able to jump up and down on race day knowing you completed your longest run ever. However, if you have any time goals, then I think it would behoove you to complete the full distance if not 1 or 2 miles more in practice. In any case, if you've been following a specific plan, I wouldn't shift gears at this point in the training anyway. :wave: Good luck!

Texas84

And I have seen his marathon plan...are you thinking of the one with a 21- and 24-miler? YIKES. :eek: I think for my first marathon (hopefully Disney 2012) I am going to use a plan that maxes out at 20. Are you going to use his marathon plan?
I really don't know. All I want to do is the WDW full and I know I can do lots of walking. If I can put in a 12-hour day at Epcot I can do 26 miles, right? :lol: But then I never thought I would be able to do the 12.5 and 14 and I have 2 halfs under my belt now. But I like your 20 mile idea.

WishIwasThere

Most 1/2 plans I have seen have you do at least a 12, if not a 14 or so. If for no other reason than to get it under your belt. Most fulls do tend to stop at 22 or so.

My thought was that if I can make it up to 13.1 in training, then the half would be no problem...which it really wasn't the past couple times I've run 1/2's.

They stop at 20-22 for the full which is why you hear about people hitting the wall at that point. My DW, who does full marathons, beleives that the training should go all the way to 26.2 that way you are prepared. The first marathon she did, she used a training program that had the longest run at 22 miles. Well you still have 4.2 miles to go after that....and she hit the wall at that point. After that she would do a long run of at least 25 to 26 miles prior to other marathons and it helped her out a ton...no more walls to go crashing into.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom