Living Seas reducing operating hours

Disney Maniac

Thedisneyfan, I agree with you. What reason could Disney possibly have for a reduction in hours if it has nothing to do with maintenance or the like? Sure, the attraction may not be operating at 100% capacity, but then, what rides do on a consistent, long-term basis?

The only new reason I can think of is that by reducing the hours, they push more people through per hour per day. This could serve for the bean counters at Disney as a means of determining how much funding for operation and maintenance the pavillion gets during the next fiscal year.

Therefore, what Disney might possibly be doing is attempting to get more money for The Living Seas in order to perform a rehab or expansion on it without having to seek out extra funds from a now-defunct sponsorship. I hope that made some sense...

bobaloo000

I know what the problem with Living Seas is...the gift shop is to small! They should get rid of all those smelly fish and make room for some more merchandise! One can only hope!;)

jay_london

Can anyone tell me what happened with the divers airlock in seabase alpha. Last time I was there the clear diving column above the air lock had been boarded over any idea why?
Do they still use the airlock?

jay

WDW-Imagineer

I can't imagine Disney getting rid of, or replacing, The Living Seas. The thing has like the biggest salt-water tank in the world and it would be just too much of a cost for them to get rid of it and they build something else in its place. Although Horizons kind of contradicts what I just said, Horizons didn't something unique in it, as LS has a big water tank.

Brett

Originally posted by WDW-Imagineer
I can't imagine Disney getting rid of, or replacing, The Living Seas. The thing has like the biggest salt-water tank in the world and it would be just too much of a cost for them to get rid of it and they build something else in its place. Although Horizons kind of contradicts what I just said, Horizons didn't something unique in it, as LS has a big water tank.

I imagine Disney is gonna try to build a new ride around the tank. This way they can save money and build a better, more entertaining ride (which is much needed)...

racoonze

Corporate Sponsors

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I recall reading in the big EPCOT book that the sponsors originally just paid an annual fee. It was a flat rate. I think in the beginning it was like $70,000 a year back in the early 80s. Thinking back that number might be alittle low maybe 70 million. But I digress, they paid a flat annual rate to keep their name on the front of it. Otherwise I would guess that Disney designed and managed the place completely with only some minor input from the sponsors.

rac

tigger1968

Living Seas is currently operating on reduced hours, just like the rumors said. It now closes at 7 pm. I was there about 5 pm, and the place was very busy. Not packed, but busier than I expected.

LaffnStock

Why is Disney doing it? Why does Disney do ANYTHING lately? To be cheap! Sure shutting it down two hours early only keeps them from paying CMs to work there for an extra two hours, but look at all the other cost-cutting measures they have done. How much are they actually saving by not running the Keelboats at MK? Or by shutting down a snack bar here and there?

I don't think LS will go away though. Too difficult getting rid of the inhabitants. Plus, if the hurricane simulator really does end up connecting LS to The Land, then there will be renewed interest.

They most likely WILL dump the pods and the hydrolators though. No one wants to bother with them on their subsequent visits. There have actually been rumors of Disney EXPANDING LS. So a different ride is a definite possibility.

I would imagine that the sponsor deals are different with every sponsor. Kodak and Coke probably pay a lot more just so they can sell their products only in all WDW properties. That is a lot of film and soda! The Land is sponsored by Kraft, right? That's a lot of food products there! GM's deal probably involves the Disney company cars. Compaq's with their computers. Exxon with their fuel needs. Maybe MetLife was their insurance carrier.

You'd think they could find SOME sponsor though for the remaining two. Hanes or something could sponsor one and they could take over the souvenir shirt portion of the shops! Or make McDonald's sponsor one and let them have restaurants in all the new Decades resorts. There are lots of opportunities out there, I just don't think they are trying. Or they are being too greedy (surprise, surprise!)

Speaking of the Wonders of Life, Disney is supposedly still going to retheme it with or without a sponsor. Rumor has it the whole thing can get some Toy Story additions (like The Land getting Lion King and Imagination supposedly getting Monsters Inc.) I wouldn't doubt it, since Disney is FINALLY figuring out how popular the TS characters are and having a pavilion full of them can sell more souvenirs (which aren't anything worth mentioning right now, but that will probably change soon.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom