Live-Action 'Society of Explorers and Adventurers' Film

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
"Disney has tapped Strange World filmmaker Qui Nguyen to pen a Society of Explorers and Adventurers film, based on its theme park activation of the same name, with Ryan Reynold’s Maximum Effort aboard to produce.

The Society of Explorers and Adventurers is an imaginary organization informing the backstory of numerous Disney park attractions. It was first introduced in 2001 as part of Tokyo DisneySea’s Fortress Explorations before going on to play a part in Hong Kong Disneyland’s Mystic Manor and other park attractions across the globe — oftentimes, through insignia or other kinds of subtle messaging that would only be picked up by Disney diehards.

Disney’s upcoming live-action theatrical feature, eyed as a franchise launcher, is billed as an adventure tying together the lore behind several of Disney’s most famous theme park attractions, with a modern twist. This new take on the SEA mythology will pursue alternative angles in present day by adding a new supernatural element to the history and following new characters not present in the original lore.

Society of Explorers and Adventurers is far from the first Disney film project to take inspiration from the studio’s parks, with Jungle Cruise, starring Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt, being just one recent example. The studio’s next film of the sort is Justin Simien’s take on Haunted Mansion, starring Rosario Dawson, LaKeith Stanfield, Owen Wilson, Tiffany Haddish, Winona Ryder, Dan Levy, Jared Leto, Danny DeVito and Jamie Lee Curtis, which is slated for release on August 11, 2023.

The new SEA film written by Nguyen is a wholly separate project from Disney+’s The Society of Explorers and Adventurers series first announced to be entering development last year. That potential series, from executive producer and writer Ron Moore, 20th Television and Disney Branded Television, is set in the Magic Kingdom Universe, where the themed lands and characters of the Disney Parks and classic films exist in another reality.

Nguyen is the writer and co-director of Disney’s forthcoming animated adventure pic Strange World, starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Dennis Quaid, Jaboukie Young-White, Gabrielle Union and Lucy Liu, which will bow in theaters on November 23. He previously co-wrote Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Raya and the Last Dragon, which was nominated for Best Animated Feature Film at the 94th Academy Awards, and also led the 49th Annie Awards with 10 noms, grossing over $130M worldwide."

Phroobar

You know what I would like to see is someone bring back Tales of the Gold Monkey.

iu

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This project confuses me because I don't really understand the intentions.

^ I was just thinking this makes my brain hurt trying to distinguish it from the Ron Moore project...

The D+ series will be in an alternate magical universe in which the theme park attractions and lands are their own magical realm in a "Magic Kingdom Cinematic Universe." So, SEA exists within those realms as their own thing separate from...

The SEA movie which will take place ostensibly in our real world, but one in which some magic exists (a la Indiana Jones). There will be tie-ins in the film to Disney theme park attractions (like we were thinking might have been the case with the Jungle Cruise movie). So, the movie will be just like the Jungle Cruise movie, but SEA is an explicit part of it.

Phroobar

So basically this setups the reason why the Tree House is being updated for SEA. It's kind of their base for all their Disney bounding adventures.

Ghost93

This seems like it could be a fun series if done right. I'm cautiously optimistic.

It may also make more people aware of SEA. I never knew what SEA was before visiting this forum.

MarvelCharacterNerd

The D+ series will be in an alternate magical universe in which the theme park attractions and lands are their own magical realm in a "Magic Kingdom Cinematic Universe." So, SEA exists within those realms as their own thing separate from...

The SEA movie which will take place ostensibly in our real world, but one in which some magic exists (a la Indiana Jones). There will be tie-ins in the film to Disney theme park attractions (like we were thinking might have been the case with the Jungle Cruise movie). So, the movie will be just like the Jungle Cruise movie, but SEA is an explicit part of it.

Still not distinguished enough. Expect at least one of these won't move forward. Too confusing for branding.

TsWade2

I’m so excited for that! And there’s also going be a tv show of S.E.A. For DisneyPlus in the works. That is, are they still in the works?

EPCOT-O.G.

I’m so excited for that! And there’s also going be a tv show of S.E.A. For DisneyPlus in the works. That is, are they still in the works?
We have scarcely heard anything about this since it was announced, so I’m worried it’s been languishing in development hell or, worse, cancelled altogether

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom