Lion King (2019) review

Tank Man

Original Poster
I was given the opportunity of watching the live-action remake of the Lion King at my local movie theater. There will be a section for spoilers are there are some (minor) new things and I will talk about them in the spoilers section. It was a great movie.
Lion King (2019) review
Spoiler-Free
The big thing is that I did not grow up with the original but I love it and there are a lot of great remade scenes. The music is great and sets the tone and atmosphere and yes I must say that the greatest thing was the CGI, they made the animals look amazing and they look like they are living and breathing. This easily is the best CGI I have seen in animals since Jurassic World and even though the whole movie is CGI, it feels real and has amazing atmosphere. I sadly lost hype as I could have watched the original but it lived up but (in my opinion) does not beet the OG, it gets close but it does get close but some things kind of ruined it. It was great and is enjoyable like the original and I did struggle with the new actors but it is better the Aladdin. It is the best live-action remake in a while and might be the best. The problem is that it feels awkward with how realistic it looks as the other ones did not have to worry. The jungle book looks like itself but this movie seems different but once you get used to the new models it will feel better. The movie is well paced and has great scenes with some new ones but one or two scenes which were my personal favorite were shortened and did not get the attention.
I give the movie a solid 9.1/10 with great feedback but the original would go into a 9.6/10.

Spoilers!!!!!!!!!!!!
You have been warned, stop reading if you want to see the movie and be surprised.
Right off the bat the remade scenes are amazing but it feels like Timon and Pimba lost some dialogue and were not as big but were still the humor duo that we all love. They do use a Beauty and the Beast reference instead of the weird huawaiin dance to lure the Hyenas. The film film uses Pumba a lot less but his fart jokes are more used. Some things were shortened and probably helped the pacing but I miss those scenes. I am sad that “Be Prepared” was shortened but I do see how using CGI and realism would not have worked to well. Scar is a bit more likable but does not feel like OG Scar but has the charm but not the iconic voice acting because of a new actor. Zazu is still himself, annoying but the usual. Mufasah feels like the OG as he is voiced by the same and still catches the acting in the perfect way. Simba is a bit annoying when he is at his final stage before fighting Scar as he feels different but I like it a bit more. I am kind of comparing it to the OG a bit to much though, I think it is Nostalgia. The new Lion King is amazing though as the other characters are done well. I like how the Hyenna pack feels bigger the second we see them and how Timon and Pumba live in a proper jungle as there are other animals which it uses the lines “I could eat a Zebra or Antelope” in a funny way with an Antelope next to them but they are not main characters and it makes it feel more alive. The grubs are still gross and sounds good but looks like real bugs. The added scene where Nala secretly leaves Pride Rock for help adds more and I think was not needed but worked. It is translated well into live action but does not live up to be original but has some unique parts and took away a few songs, they tried to use the idea of if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it as the OG has no problems besides it could have been a rip off of Kimba the White Lion.
This is a great film which I think was fun but with these remakes they sometimes don’t live up, the only one I think was better was the Jungle Book and Maleficent. One changed it a lot and I think helped and the other had a darker tone which Disney does not do often but was unique and was used well.

Well, those are my thoughts as it was a good movie but does not out live the original.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom