Lettuce, Tomato and Onion THAT EXPENSIVE?

MickeyMind

Original Poster
Something I noticed at the american adventure pavilion cafeteria. They used to have 2 bars full of lettuce, tomato, onion, and everything else you would want to put on your burger.

Then they resorted to stocking only 1 bar.

Then they completely removed all lettuce, tomato and onions all together and resorted to sticking just a piece of tomato and some lettuce on your burger.
Prices never went down, but they kept going up.

And now they have added barbecue sauce and some shreds of pork to your cheeseburger so you wouldnt need lettuce, tomatoes or onions at all.

Was the lettuce tomato and onion really costing the company that much that they had to completely remove it? Are other eateries around wdw going to follow this model sooner or later? The only other toppings bar that I know of is at mk, peco's bill, and maybe 1 or 2 resorts, I can see them cutting corners there too eventually and getting rid of their toppings.

Its not the end of the world, but when you charge almost $10 for a cheeseburger and 5 fries, it kinda seems like a slap in the face to take away the toppings too.

Sorry for the rant, just another "declining by degrees" situation I guess.

Timekeeper

Let not your heart be troubled...

...Richter's Burger Co. at Universal Studios still has an open bar with all of your favorite toppings. :sohappy:

day2_rict11.jpg

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Something I noticed at the american adventure pavilion cafeteria. They used to have 2 bars full of lettuce, tomato, onion, and everything else you would want to put on your burger.

Then they resorted to stocking only 1 bar.

Then they completely removed all lettuce, tomato and onions all together and resorted to sticking just a piece of tomato and some lettuce on your burger.
Prices never went down, but they kept going up.

And now they have added barbecue sauce and some shreds of pork to your cheeseburger so you wouldnt need lettuce, tomatoes or onions at all.

Was the lettuce tomato and onion really costing the company that much that they had to completely remove it? Are other eateries around wdw going to follow this model sooner or later? The only other toppings bar that I know of is at mk, peco's bill, and maybe 1 or 2 resorts, I can see them cutting corners there too eventually and getting rid of their toppings.

Its not the end of the world, but when you charge almost $10 for a cheeseburger and 5 fries, it kinda seems like a slap in the face to take away the toppings too.

Sorry for the rant, just another "declining by degrees" situation I guess.
So when you ordered extra lettuce tomato and onion on your burger what did they tell you?

Communicore

Well AA food is always crop nyway, but like the other person said if they get rid of the cheese and kraut at Casey's then I'm going to seriously complain...also they better not mess with Pecos!

AEfx

I'd assume it's more waste.

Lots of people are leery of bars like that to begin with (food that should be kept cold sitting out, germs and sneezes and dirty hands grabbing things, etc.), and then on top of that I'm sure there were plenty of people who ended up throwing out a tray of "salad" that they made out of it (which actually was a "tip" on a certain board).

That said, I did like them - but I see why they aren't kept going, 'cause I bet less people actually used it for it's purpose (to add a bit to a burger) than took too much and tossed it, or simply helped themselves to a "free" salad bar.

disney magic 06

Another case of a few people taking advantage and everyone losing out, unfortunately.

When we were there in May Cosmic Rays still had a decent toppings bar, I hope that is still there.

Crockett

Banned
Sorta off topic but still related.

I was at a Taco Bell last Monday for lunch. One of my favorite things about TB is the hot sauce selection to choose from: Mild, Hot, Fire, the new Green stuff...etc. I love TB sauce...LOTS of it.

Well, this particular TB had no sauce area to pick & choose what you wanted. You know, those giant metal bins full of sauces for the taking? I had already purchased my meal, and went to the counter asking where the sauce was. The girl behind the counter asked me which type I wanted. I told her I wanted some of the Fire sauce. She proceeds to reach under the counter and hand me 3 (three) packets of Fire sauce. Yes...3. :shrug:

Mind you, I had a combo #4 which comes with 2 taco supremes, and a Mexican pizza. 3 sauce packets. :mad:
I went back several times asking for more, and was handed 2-3 at the most each time.

As I was leaving, I asked her what happened to the famous "sauce bar" (as I call it) where customers can pick & choose however many, whatever many sauces they wanted.
Her response? TB upper mgmt is juggling the idea of removing those for cost-cutting measures, but guests will still be able to ask front counter for sauce if they want any. WHAT???? She told me that only a few TB's are doing this as an experiment, but eventually ALL TB's will remove tubs and hand out...okay, ending this rant.

But if this comes true for all locations...all that is good in the world will seem lost. :(

Okay, back to Disney.

Timekeeper

I had already purchased my meal, and went to the counter asking where the sauce was. The girl behind the counter asked me which type I wanted. I told her I wanted some of the Fire sauce. She proceeds to reach under the counter and hand me 3 (three) packets of Fire sauce. Yes...3. :shrug:

I usually find it best to be a bit more specific when dealing with fast food attendants and guide them with a polite request along the lines of, "May I please have about a dozen packets of Fire sauce?" :sohappy:

images

NWDMD

What about pickles... every time we go, fewer restaurants have pickles at them. ABC Commissary, Electric Umbrella, now it sounds like maybe American Adventure as well?

AEfx

What about pickles... every time we go, fewer restaurants have pickles at them. ABC Commissary, Electric Umbrella, now it sounds like maybe American Adventure as well?

I'm finding this a trend everywhere. I never liked them as a kid, but as an adult I just love a pickle spear or at least some chips on the side when I have a burger.

graphite1326

You can do the toppings bar if you want. I don't. Especially ever since the day a person came out of a stall in the restroom (at Disney), never washed there hands and left. Just think about it. This person probably went to Pecos Bill's for lunch and had a free salad. They seemed to be that type.

A bit mean getting rid of that toppings bar. We go to Cosmic Rays which has a toppings bar. We also found another one at a location near Splash Mountain-cant think of it`s name---it is near the parade exit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom