Length of stay?

Disfan44

Original Poster
Our first visit to WDW is in May and I'm wondering how many days it would take to see most of the attractions at a semi-leisurely pace. We've been to DL a number of times but WDW seems so huge and overwhelming. How many days have you stayed there and what would you suggest for a first timer?

Thanks for your help!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
On past experience Id say, two days to the Magic Kingdom the same for Epcot and a day a piece for the Studios and Animal Kingdom. A day each for the water parks, or spend the morning there and do Epcot or Fantasmic in the evening. Some people will tell you that you can do AK and MGM in half a day, thats only true if you stick to the big rides, fastpass like mad and dont really look at your surroundings.

madalex

If you really want to try to see or do "most" of the attractions, you would probably need about 8 - 10 full days. You could see an awful lot of stuff in less time than that, but to really experience it all at the "semi-leisurely" pace you mention would, I think, take at least that much time.

cherrynegra

My first trip there, I spent 14 days at WDW. This was back in '95. I was able to hit all the parks at the time, a couple of water parks, and Pleasure Island. However, at that time I got the impression that I hadn't seen everything. Part of the problem may have been that we were travelling with a group of nine people including three children. This slowed things down a little bit.

I recently went in Dec of last year for eight days, and that felt just right. The crowds were not crazy, Xmas decorations were up and we were able to ride everything and see everything to our hearts' content. Of course, I was in a party of two adults. My friend and I were able to hit everything without the worry of kids. And I kid you not, we rode everything in Magic Kingdom by 1:00 p.m. I couldn't believe it.

But I would suggest that you hit WDW in the off-season. This will be a lot better to handle because the crowds won't be crazy. Assign at least a day per park. If you don't plan on hitting the water parks, this will devote more time to the parks. I did two days per park and just alternated. MGM on Mon, AK on Tues, etc.

And whatever you do, please purchase Bob Sehlinger's The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World. I feel that after reading that book and taking some if its plans into consideration, I had a better grasp on the parks and they didn't seem so overwhelming.
Planning is everything.

iluvstitch

I agree that 8 to 10 days is ideal. You should probably just stay as many nights as you can afford. I'd rather stay more nights at a moderate or value than just a few nights at a deluxe. I'm staying in may at CBR for 8 days. Good Luck! -Stephanie

mrtoad

We usually stay for 8 or 9 nights. We just got back Saturday from an 8 night stay. You will not see everything there is to see. You might see all the rides and attractions but there is so much more to see if you just open you eyes and take it slow.

This was our first trip with a child and we saw things we never took time for before. We watched the Cinderella's Surprise Celebration in front of the castle which we never took time for before. My daughter loved it. She loved it so much we saw it at least 5 times I think.

Also, when you go will depend on how much you can see.

Zipadeedoodah

On a first visit, I would say you should be able to see mostly everything in 6 or 7 days, since you are going in May. If you were going during peak season, you might as well double your stay to see everything. You picked a beautiful time to visit the world....the temps are really nice...not a lot of rainfall usually, and the crowds are not bad at all either. I hope you find your first time at WDW to be real magical.

My best advice is to spend as much time as you can there. You won't get tired of it, so if you have the time, and the money....do it! Soak it all in...In my opinion, WDW is 10 times better than Disneyland.

ENJOY!!!

:wave:

Disfan44

Original Poster
Thanks for the help!

I really appreciate all of the feedback :)

We have tried the commando approach to DL, running from one attraction to another and criss-crossing all over the park but I don't think my 40+yr.old legs can handle it any more. :(

cherrynegra- We'll be there from the beginning of May which I've read is decent but not really off-season. I'd like to alternate parks since I've heard it takes a while to get from one park to another using Disney transportation. Oh and I bought the Unofficial Guide and am it is really informative.

iluvstitch- Hey, maybe I'll see you there! We've booked almost everything but I am wondering if I should cut back on Universal Studios (currently have a four night stay at Royal Pacific) and stay longer at WDW.

mrtoad- You read my mind! While we are looking forward to the major attractions, there is so much "magic" that is missed if you rush through and not take the time to notice the small things.

Zipadeedoodah- I knew that WDW was bigger than DL but after reading and learning from everyone I've come to the conclusion that there is really no comparison. I can't wait!

Thanks again,

Ron

iluvstitch

We're staying two nights at the HRH before we go to WDW. You can do the major attractions at each RTM and IOA in one day each, especially with the unlimited express from staying onsite. You should do two or three nights at Royal Pacific and add an extra day or so to your stay at WDW. Universal is great, but there's so much more to do at WDW. -Steph

spacemtnfanatic

Due to time, I have never had a stay longer than 5 nights with 4 and a half days in the parks. I have never left WDW feeling like I had truly experienced everything and had the "full" Disney experience. My trips always are beyond rushed, with 13 hour days in the parks, hitting 3 parks each day, Fastpassing everything possible whenever possible. I have never once seen a parade or firework show.

In fact, my first trip was 4 nights and only 3 days in the park, and then an hour the 4th day before having to leave.

I guess thats the hang up when you are 17 and go with the parental units who pay for everything and aren't super Disney-freaks who will stay longer. Hey...I guess I shouldn't complain though.

Point being, I have never done a waterpark, taken an afternoon to just hang at the resort and go in the pool, taken an afternoon to visit other resorts, or quite frankly, ever had a Disney day where we weren't up at 7:30 to get to the parks and then in at 10 completely trashed. We always spend a few hours one night at Downtown Disney (except one year we stayed at the Courtyard by Marriot right at DTD and then we went every night)

I would give anything for a full 7-10 days at WDW. I would love to have a day to tour and walk around other resorts, appreciate the resort I am in, hit a waterpark (I love waterslides), head to Downtown Disney for a trip that isn't running around because its so late and we are dead tired, and to see it in the daylight.

So, if time and money permits, stay for a long time. The "long weekend" approach just isn't enough time. But, as is the case for us, it's still better than nothing, and I would take it any day (or in my case every year...lol)

Have a great time!!!

Disfan44

Original Poster
LOL

Hey spacemtnfanatic,

I just had to laugh to myself when I read your post. I recently had a conversation with my sibling unit in which he extolled the many benefits of staying as long as we possibly could in WDW and Universal Studios. He even brought up the fact that "commando touring" would probably not be a good idea since I'm not as young as I used to be. :rolleyes:

I'm sure we'll have a great time and you do the same!

Aloha!

Dimaline312000

One time my family and I stayed at WDW for 20 days I'd say if you want to see most to all of the attractions at least once I'd suggest 10 to 15 days to do all the activites, see all the attractions and ride all the rides that is what I'd suggest. I just stayed 20 days because I love the atmosphere, I like riding certain rides, and it really does bring out the kind in you and it is a very magicl experience. I went last summer and every moment there still sticks with me. I love WDW!!

Dimaline31:)

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Originally posted by Disfan44
Our first visit to WDW is in May and I'm wondering how many days it would take to see most of the attractions at a semi-leisurely pace. We've been to DL a number of times but WDW seems so huge and overwhelming. How many days have you stayed there and what would you suggest for a first timer?

Thanks for your help!

I would suggest at least 7 days to see everything worth seeing. I have been there for as long as 10 days and as little as 4.

If you would like to go to Walt Disney World and not be overwhelmed, get in touch with me. I will create a personal itinerary for you free of charge if you book with me or if you would like just the itinerary including all priority seatings, etc. I do charge a small fee for getting an itinerary only.

I do have a testimonial page on my webiste that you are welcome to check out also.

Pam

P.S> Mr. Toad...how was the trip? I haven't heard from you. Did everything turn out ok?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom