Las Vegas Sphere dazzles with Spaceship Earth-esque LED display

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
That’s pretty cool. Seen several videos of that online. My first thought, what would it take for spaceship earth to do that other than money they won’t spend to do it.

WorldExplorer

This looks nice, but as much as it's "Spaceship Earth-esque", I don't want this kind of thing on Spaceship Earth.

Spaceship Earth is cool already. It has an iconic look, it's distinctly Epcot, and it's extremely impressive just that it exists with a ride inside of it. It doesn't need to also look like the moon.

Not everything needs to be some form of constantly changing screen.

pdude81

If this rose out of WSL and had internal projections then it would be cool. SSE I think is great the way it is (at least on the outside).

Brian

Imagine you woke up in your hotel room in the middle of the night July 4, still a bit tipsy, to find this staring at you through the window:

sphere_eye_1-845x563.jpg

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
The MSG Sphere looks great at night (from a technical standpoint, I still think they need to hire someone better to develop the content being displayed on the sphere), but it loses a lot of its luster during the day (which is fine given how most of Las Vegas is designed to look its best at night). This is not a problem that SSE has as it still looks great even in the middle of the day.

MrPromey

The MSG Sphere looks great at night (from a technical standpoint, I still think they need to hire someone better to develop the content being displayed on the sphere), but it loses a lot of its luster during the day (which is fine given how most of Las Vegas is designed to look its best at night). This is not a problem that SSE has as it still looks great even in the middle of the day.
As for the content, it's only been up for two days. I'd say give 'em time. ;)

In seriousness, it's a little tricky developing stuff for nonstandard screens. I mean, look what they did with the tacos in the lagoon and those were just rectangles with pieces cut out - they ddidn't seamlessly wrap around most of their surface in 3 out of 4 directions.

With this, you've also got to consider a lot of people will be seeing it at ground or nearish ground level and closer so only a single chunk will be visible at one time - making stuff look good to those folks while also offering something for penthouse views at the same time that doesn't look overly-busy and overly-gaudy is challenging until you've had time to work it all out.

Then again, Vivavision down the road, while impressive from a technical standpoint, has never really moved on from a psychedelic Macromedia Flash phase as far as I can tell, so I guess we'll see. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

MichRX7

Premium Member
That’s pretty cool. Seen several videos of that online. My first thought, what would it take for spaceship earth to do that other than money they won’t spend to do it.
It's all about the density of the pixels and the distance from the audience. For instance, on the 4th I put a 4'x8' mesh on my pontoon that has standard 12mm addressable RGB pixels on it every two inches. If you are 10' away you will have no idea what I have on there and just see a bunch of pretty lights. From 50-100 feet away I had people asking me how I got those huge 4k tv's on the sides of my pontoon. So, reading the article you have 2k "pucks" on SSE with the pixels inside compared to 1.2m on the sphere.

To get SSE anywhere close they would probably have to start putting those pucks on every triangle probably 6-12" apart. From a vantage point at the American Pavilion you could almost make it look like the sphere (this is a rough guess from the various holiday light shows I have done).

A prop I use in my holiday light shows are p5 panels, which means the pixels are 5mm apart. From 20' away you will think that is a 4k tv as well showing pictures, etc...

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

This looks nice, but as much as it's "Spaceship Earth-esque", I don't want this kind of thing on Spaceship Earth.

Spaceship Earth is cool already. It has an iconic look, it's distinctly Epcot, and it's extremely impressive just that it exists with a ride inside of it. It doesn't need to also look like the moon.

Not everything needs to be some form of constantly changing screen.
Trying to say this could be done with Spaceship Earth is like saying you should do it to farmer Fred's barn. We are talking a 2.3 billion dollar structure.
Anyway , I am pumped for the Sphere's opening and have tickets for U2s fourth show there...so just hope it opens on time!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom