Largest Disney Pawn Shop Opens

G00fyDad

The site says that CM are allowed to turn in their costumes for cash, but I thought that all CM's had to turn in costumes before they left. Isn't that the case?

71jason

The site says that CM are allowed to turn in their costumes for cash, but I thought that all CM's had to turn in costumes before they left. Isn't that the case?

Used to have to turn them in at the end of each shift, but that ended years ago, I assume in an effort to save on laundry costs. Now you'll routinely see CMs in Publix or even Alehouse in costume.

Once Disney start letting CMs take costumes home, while, yeah, the policy is to turn them in when you leave the company but...probably honored more in the breach than the observance. Especially the iconic ones, e.g. Mansion.

G00fyDad

Wow. I never knew this changed. You'd think that Disney would want to continue the laundry service so they wouldn't have to replace to many missing uniforms and CMs wouldn't be out in public with them on. Kind of ruins things a bit I suppose. But I guess that depends on the person seeing them out in the costume.

The Duck

I've heard from several sources that their prices are outrageous. A Facebook friend told me that she saw a Splash Mountain, "You May Get Wet" sign selling for $1,000.00.

G00fyDad

I wonder if they'll let me on the plane with my Buzz Lightyear ride vehicle? Maybe I can pass it off as a child safety seat. LOL

walee

what!!

I've heard from several sources that their prices are outrageous. A Facebook friend told me that she saw a Splash Mountain, "You May Get Wet" sign selling for $1,000.00.

omg I hope you got you read wrong because that is ridonkulous, I just got a new home and wanna put the "you may get wet sign near my pool" but for 1k heck no! who do they really think is gonna shop there? I'm still gonna take a visit tho

Timekeeper

What ever happened to that big warehouse on Michigan Ave off I-4 in Orlando? I think it was called Mouse Surplus or something like that. They had Space Mountain ride vehicles, similar salvaged memorabilia, and at one time had a monorail car...:shrug:

I know they sold a number of items on ebay, but is the warehouse still there for in-person shopping? It wasn't really a "store," but I suppose half the fun was rummaging through a giant garage sale where few items actually had price tags on them. It seemed much larger than the pawn shop featured above.

Kobe!!

Technically anyone that is a CM could sell their costume here, they would just be fined from Disney for not returning it. From what I've heard, the fines Disney charge are out of site too!

I bet the prices for the costumes are out of site!

Mammymouse

Back in the 80's we operated a Dunkin Donuts and the uniform policy was that the employee would sign a statement of what uniform items they received at hire and were to do their own washing. When they left employment they were to turn in those items before they got their last paycheck or they were charged for them. I'm sure things have changed a lot since then but there could be some similar policy at Disney.

Biff215

While I understand those who are concerned about CM's taking costumes home, I was glad to be able to do that back in 2000 when I was at Blizzard Beach. They offered us the option of turning it back in every day to be washed for free, but who wants to get a different bathing suit each day that someone else wore yesterday? There was definitely a policy on returning the costume as otherwise I would be wearing my red snowflake shirt right now!

When I was there in 2000, there were positions who didn't have a choice about leaving their costumes each day, such as some of the more iconic attractions with costumes that could be really messed up if washed incorrectly. I wonder how this policy has changed since then.

MissM

What ever happened to that big warehouse on Michigan Ave off I-4 in Orlando? I think it was called Mouse Surplus or something like that. They had Space Mountain ride vehicles, similar salvaged memorabilia, and at one time had a monorail car...:shrug:

I know they sold a number of items on ebay, but is the warehouse still there for in-person shopping? It wasn't really a "store," but I suppose half the fun was rummaging through a giant garage sale where few items actually had price tags on them. It seemed much larger than the pawn shop featured above.
They moved to Lake Wales a few years ago. Then last year I think they closed the warehouse. It kept dwindling in stock though and by the end, there really wasn't much left.

G00fyDad

While I understand those who are concerned about CM's taking costumes home, I was glad to be able to do that back in 2000 when I was at Blizzard Beach. They offered us the option of turning it back in every day to be washed for free, but who wants to get a different bathing suit each day that someone else wore yesterday? There was definitely a policy on returning the costume as otherwise I would be wearing my red snowflake shirt right now!

When I was there in 2000, there were positions who didn't have a choice about leaving their costumes each day, such as some of the more iconic attractions with costumes that could be really messed up if washed incorrectly. I wonder how this policy has changed since then.

Okay.... ewww. :( point made. :lol:

Timekeeper

They moved to Lake Wales a few years ago. Then last year I think they closed the warehouse. It kept dwindling in stock though and by the end, there really wasn't much left.

Thanks for the info. That's a shame. Ebay doesn't even begin to compare with scavenging a warehouse. :cry:

wilderness%20trip%209-2006%20065%20(Small).jpg

Monorail Lime

Did they ever find a buyer for the Horizons ride vehicle?

They also had the Mark IV Monorail Red car in their warehouse at one time but I don't know if it was actually for sale. Anyone know where it is now?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom