Large Crowds in Early December??!!!

Cinderella1976

Hi Everyone!! We will be in Disney December 1-9 and I booked the first week because I assumed it would be a "slower" time of the month to visit and we would be able to enjoy all the Christmas festivities without it being overly crowded, but a friend of mine tried to book a vacation for the same week and she could not get a room at any of the resorts!! I even tried to upgrade my rooom @ GF and the operator told me there are no rooms left at the GF! I spoke to Pam @ Kingdom Konsultants yesterday and she said it will definately be more busy than usual for that time of year! She also had trouble getting rooms for her clients. If any of you guys are planning on being there that week I hope you made all your dining reservations & purchased your tickets for MVMCP!:lol: Also, has anyone ever been at Disney that time of year in the past? Where the crowds manageable? I just hope it won't be as bad as July.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The secret about early December is out. I have been at WDW during the first 2 weeks of December for going on 5 years now. Up through 2004 WDW was a ghost town but in 2005 crowds were considerably larger. I expect that this year will be as busy or busier than last.

Upvote 0

hokielutz

I think Disney has really started to find some attractions that bring interest in the parks during their typical value seasons. MNSSHP and MVMCP are probably some of their best ideas for park promotion in a long time. They draw attention to what Disney has to offer everyone during the slower Oct-December time frame. Plus, they now have that silly Pop-Warner football event that brings a bunch of elementary aged football players and cheerleaders to the parks during the first week of December.

So they are getting smart about increasing the traffic around the parks, and thus finding new ways to improve the bottom line.

Anyways... my wife and I will be down there from Dec 6 to the 12th. Like Master Yoda, I've visited during the first two weeks of December and it was very easy to see everything we wanted to. Like you, I hope it is not as crowded as July, and the fact that school is still in session should keep crowds below the summer peak periods.

Upvote 0

tikiman

We booked back in February and when we booked they had run out of two room categories for the beginning of December back in February at the resort we are staying at.

As the year went by many of the resorts were the same way. As of a few days ago I was told that only Saratoga Springs had availability. I also never make ADRs but I had to months ago to even get a place to eat. A friend who works at the resort said people are getting there and not being able to even get into a restaurant to eat because of the dining plan and the amount of people going that time of year. I am still looking forward to it since it will be my first time with all the Christmas stuff and I think even though it will be crowded I think it will be like a big party. I am just glad I took care of everything a long time ago.

Cinderella1976,

I love going in July and I don't find the crowds bad at all. Infact this year the resort hotels were at about 60% capacity in the summer and now throught the new year they are at 90%-100%. Christmas week is actually the busiest time and it is why it is the highest price season.

Upvote 0

Cinderella1976

Original Poster
Hi Tikiman!! The reason I thought July was crowded is because when we went in 2004 we were there for the 4th and it was crazy! They closed the MK because it was full to capacity and you couldn't even move. We went last year the week after the 4th and it was more manageable but I think the heat made it more difficult to deal with especially since we have little ones! I am really looking forward to our December trip :xmas: and even if the crowds are bad I think it will be easier to deal with since it won't be too hot!! Oh, I have a question for you - you seem to be the right person to ask since you know alot about the Poly - how is Ohana? We have a ressie there for dinner and the character breakfast, but I've read mixed reviews. What is your opinion? Thanks!!

Upvote 0

tikiman

Well that is true. We use to go every 4th of July but what happens a few days around the 4th and on the 4th is that even locals pack the place. The rest of July is not that bad and this years numbers at the resorts (don’t know about the parks) were low. They even decided to do rehab because of the low occupancy this summer.

I have not tried the new ‘Ohana menu but I did an informal survey and 90% of the responses I got from people who had tried the old menu liked the new menu even better. I will try the new menu for the first time in December. Many complained about the shrimp not being done on the big grill anymore but they removed it from there and added a different shrimp as an appetizer because cooking it on the grill was coming in contact with the other meats and some have shellfish allergies.

Now as far as the ‘Ohana breakfast I think it is a lot of fun for kids but my experience was not a good one when it comes to judging the food or service. The food and variety was just ok but not worth the money (my opinion) and the service we had was horrible and got worse when the lady spilled coffee all over our new camera and did not even say sorry. Just shrugged and walked away. Now that I have a kid I might try it again just for him but I won’t be expecting to really enjoy the breakfast. I think Chef Mickey’s had better selection.

Upvote 0

lentesta

Premium Member
A couple of big get-togethers are scheduled for the first ten days of December. One is the Pop Warner Football and Cheer Championships. According to their media rep (a former Disney CM, oddly enough), they expect around 28,000 people for that. It's held at WWS, so there's some impact on Disney resorts.

The second event is the Performance Racing Industries convention, and my understanding is that it draws around 40,000 people. But I don't think Disney resorts are the focus for PRI, so impact is probably less than Pop Warner.

Len

Upvote 0

Cinderella1976

Original Poster
WOW!! That is alot of people for those two get-togethers alone!! I think I just got my hopes up and had high expectations for that time of year in terms of crowd levels and being able to just walk onto the attractions without a long wait time, but oh-well I am going to Disney at one of the best times of year to visit so I guess it is to be expected. I am still soo excited!!
:sohappy: December can't get here fast enough for me!!:xmas:

Upvote 0

Mystic

You also have to remember that during "Value" season, not all of the hotel is open to guests. We've been down during "Value" season during both November and December and not every room was in use. They were not using the rooms at the far ends of the lodge corridors, keeping all the guests closer to the main lodge.

Upvote 0

tikiman

You also have to remember that during "Value" season, not all of the hotel is open to guests. We've been down during "Value" season during both November and December and not every room was in use. They were not using the rooms at the far ends of the lodge corridors, keeping all the guests closer to the main lodge.

That might be how they were booking the rooms but they do not put a block on rooms because of value season, so while they were not all in use they were able to be booked.

Upvote 0

maelstrom

I went in December 2003 and it was not crowded like this. I have my grandparents booked at CBR because Contemp, Poly, Wildy, and GF were all booked December 1-10.

Upvote 0

Cinderella1976

Original Poster
Do you guys think that the MK will get so crowded that they might have to close it off like they do at Christmas time?? I really hope not - now I am starting to worry.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Do you guys think that the MK will get so crowded that they might have to close it off like they do at Christmas time?? I really hope not - now I am starting to worry.
I seriously doubt it. Many of the guests taking up all the rooms have activities outside of the parks that they will be attending. Also the 4th of July attendance spikes are due in part to a large influx of locals going there to watch the fireworks. The parks will be busy no doubt. You will want to get to them around 30 to 45 minutes before opening, use fast pass and have a plan of attack. If at all possible avoid MK during the weekends.

Upvote 0

hokielutz

Yeah... there is no need to press the panic button just because there is trouble in booking at the resorts for these time periods. Like I and others have said before, there are several outside events going on at places other than the parks.

Upvote 0
We were down last year in the middle of December and found the parks uncrowded. This year when it came time to book my trip I started planning around July (geting prices checking availilbility ect) It seemed everyday different hotels were filling fast. I had to keep changing my days around so I could stay at the Polly for my entire trip. The trip that was going to be from the 7th of Dec to the 15th, changed to Dec 5 to the 13. No big deal really, I get to leave 2 days sooner:sohappy:

I have been dragging my feet on ADR's, but it looks like I need to get on it ASAP

Upvote 0
This will be the 10th consecutive year we will go to WDW in early December. (We have a non-Disney time share in which our week is the week that begins with the first Sunday of December.) The spookiest year was 2001, just three months after 9-11; we never waited in line to get on a ride. My daughters rode Goofy's Barnstormer rollercoaster in Toon Town six times in a row without getting off the ride because there was no one else wanting to get on.

The last couple of years the crowds have returned to pre-2001 levels, maybe slightly more, but still significantly smaller than normal. Touringplans.com's statistics show that the first couple of weeks of December continue to be among the least attended periods during the year. While the secret may be out about early December, still many folks, especially families with kids in school, find it difficult to go on a vacation right after Thanksgiving and right before Christmas. Part of the lack of room availability, especially at the value resorts, may be explained by the Pop Warner football tournament that is held at WDW during the first week of December, but over the years it has seemed to us that the folks attending the tournament do not increase park attendance until Friday and Saturday of that week.

Also, weather must play a major role in attendance. The last couple of years, with heavy hurricane seasons, have resulted in gorgeous weather during early December, which may have resulted in increased crowds. We have had years, especially 1997 and 1998, where every day was marked by heavy rain; we went to the parks anyway and had a blast, but the rain did seem to suppress the crowd size.

So go have a great time! We love that time of year because of the Christmas decorations and music, and the "feeling" in the air that chases away the hum-drum of the daily routine at home and helps us revel in each other's company.

Upvote 0

Cinderella1976

Original Poster
Thanks guys - you made me feel better! :animwink: Sorry to panic!! It looks like I will have alot of company seems like alot of people from the boards are going the first week of December also. See you all there!! :wave: :xmas: Anyone attending the MVMCP? I will be going on the 4th.

Upvote 0

pacochran

We went the first week of December last year, and it was somewhat crowded (a little more than what we saw in October, the prior times we went), but not like busy seasons according to my wife.

You got to also think that the weekend of the 1st to the 3rd might be crowded because people going specifically for the Christmas Parade that is being taped that weekend.

Also I wouldn't be surprized the All-Star and POR will be busy because the Pop Warner Football superbowl and Cheerleading competitions may be the week of December 3rd thru the 9th. I know they were there for part of the time we were last year and it made it a little more crowded but not packed.

Hoping the same is true this year as we will be going Nov 28th thru the 2nd at AKL.

Upvote 0

LoriMistress

I've been hearing that for the past 2-3 years that the first two weeks of December has been more crowded. I'm starting to get nervous because I'm booking a vacation for December 2007 and my biggest pet peeve is people...I hate crowds and waiting in line. I do not want to wait in line for a long period of time. I'll have to wait and start readin reports of people's vacations for this year and hopefully it won't be as bad as I'm imagining.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom