Kennedy Space Centre

caffeinediary

Original Poster
My partner and I are going to WDW in late April and were thinking about taking a day during the week to check out the Kennedy Space Centre. Has anyone been? I'm wondering if there is enough there to merit spending the whole day.

Also wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to rent a car to get there. I know there aren't any places in the WDW resort, but are there any close by? Thanks :)

PixyDust

Thank you for this info! We are going there this Saturday so we can get DS7 excused from school next week. (We just took him out for the week after Thanksgiving, and we knew without something BIG, they wouldn't excuse another week so quickly.) With the launch to Pluto this week, we figure there will be a lot of stuff there about it this weekend. I really hope so!
What perfect timing!

CAPTAIN HOOK

We went several years ago - 2001 (I think) - For a day out it is well worth the trip (You need to have a basic interest in Space Flight or memories of the missions to really appreciate the place)

lunalovegoddess

We took the kids for the first time last year, and did the basic tour. It was lots of fun. We didn't have a chance to catch a film or do some of the things we wanted to because of the time of our tour. My suggestion is to try to get a morning tour, which will take 2 hours, I think, and then explore the main area and check out the sites.

crazydaveh

I went a few weeks ago and it's a full day trip! Like others have stated, get there in the morning in order to do everything.

The tours run all day now, they used to have set times, but they realized this is easier on everyone. The longest wait we had was for the IMAX film. It filled up an hour before each show, and they had to add extra showings.

If you arrive late, you won't have enough time to look at everything at your pace, so do arrive around 9 AM.

swedishengineer

If you actually take the time to read signs and watch some of the videos throughout, you could spend a whole day. You could spend a few hours on the tour, each Imax is 45 min plus (Magnificent Desolation is good)... There's 4 hours right there. Add any time in the rocket garden plus other displays, and you should have at least 3/4 of a day covered. Plus the whole "Only 45 minutes from Orlando" thing is optimistic (if you stick somewhat reasonably to the speed limit). I think its closer to an hour...

Admittedly, I like the space stuff... Individual mileage may vary...

As a bonus (don't quote me on this), at some point they were working on the observation gantry for pads 39A&B (shuttle pads), so the "regular" tour included space station viewing usually part of the "extra" tours as a substitute. They might still be doing this, but I'm not sure.

Also, I'm sure this popped up somewhere else (I'm just too lazy to check), but they are expanding the visitor's center to include a simulator of some type (think more experience, less thrill- no mission space). It may be opened in a year or so...

Yay space!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom