Kennedy experts

Lightyear

Original Poster
Kennedy Space Center. We have not been for years and now have a son (9) who is into science. We can go on a Sunday or Monday. Anyone have suggestions for the better day? Should we go for the all access pass? What should we not miss for him?

Thanks for any info !

Lisa

napnet

KSC is easily and all day thing. Also visit the Astronaut Hall of Fame as well, very neat. As for a good day, Monday would probably have less crowds but not by much. Check online for the launch schedule to make sure nothing would interupt your visit since they stop tours for most launches.

Also, security there is really tight so expect a long wait there. They made me prove my cell and camera worked. Have fun! :wave:

Nemo14

I'd have to agree with Monday, but it will be busy both days. My son was a real space nut in his younger days, and we spent a lot of time there. Plan to spend the whole day; the only thing that we tend to skip are the Imax movies, since we've seen them at home. Have a great trip!

JROK

The Apollo/Saturn V building is really impressive too... they have a recreation of a launch there and all... and they have a real Saturn V rocket inside that stretches the span of the building... just be prepared to go, "Wow, I never thought everything was so big!" Especially when you see the size of the shuttles, rockets and the Vehicle Assembly Building (which has the big flag on it.) HAVE FUN!!

PixyDust

We were just there a couple of months ago, and actually they told us we were smart to visit on the weekend. There are **I think** around 40,000 employees there, and the congestion is just unreal. Or so we were told by employees... Anyway, that road leading in and out I would imagine can get congested in a hurry when all of the employees are working.

If my employment number is wrong, feel free to correct me!

swedishengineer

PixyDust said:
...There are **I think** around 40,000 employees there, and the congestion is just unreal. Or so we were told by employees... Anyway, that road leading in and out I would imagine can get congested in a hurry when all of the employees are working.

If my employment number is wrong, feel free to correct me!

see:
http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060512/NEWS09/60512010/1105/news09

...there are approx. 15,000 - and many of those work different shifts. Certainly as long as you get there after typical morning rush hour times, you'd be fine.

I would think that the difference between weekends and weekdays would be day trippers and school groups.

The big traffic days would be when there is a shuttle launch scheduled. I've seen that traffic once, and all I can say is wow.

As for the tours, ask what you'll see when you arrive. There are disclaimers everywhere that tours change due to KSC operational requirements. In addition to the standard admission tour, there are two tours (of course cost extra) which include more areas.

Hope your son enjoys the trip!

crazydaveh

If you have kids, go for the all access pass. This allows you to go into another area outside of the complex and the kids can get on simulators. There's also a museum at the off site complex to walk through. If you don't have kids, the extra money isn't worth it IMO because the simulators are not designed for adult riders.

As for the main complex, get there early no matter when you go. It's a large and time consuming process. It's a lot of fun and you can see a lot of really interesting space history, but it does take time.

I was there a few months ago and the tour to the launch pad viewing area and Saturn building was the best part. We were there when the shuttle was on the pad, so that made it really cool.

However, we returned to the main area and tried to see the IMAX movie. The movie we were trying to get in was full an hour before hand and the one after it was already full with the amount of people in line. I suggest seeing that movie first and then hitting the tour.

We were there on a Saturday. The crowds during the week are not as bad. Employees have several routes in and out of their work area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom