Keep Diggs County Weird - A Dinoland U.S.A. Reimagining

JokersWild

Original Poster
Keep Diggs County Weird - FINISHED.png

Full Transcript:

April 29th, 2018 "Keep Diggs County Weird: How Science Revived a Beloved Roadside Relic" The Sonoran Spring
A new day dawns on the “World Famous” - if your world only stretches as far as Phoenix - Chester and Hester’s Dino-Rama. The pleasantly prehistoric attraction has delighted families for fifty years. And while many of the experiences have stood the test of time, that doesn’t mean the park is above evolution, says owner and operator Hester Anning.

“We’ve had the old standbys, sure, but we’re always looking for something to keep the people coming back. And the Institute has been a huge help in drumming up interest,” said Anning.

In the fifty years since she and her husband, the late Chester Anning, opened Dino-Rama the goal has been clear - cheap thrills for families looking for an oasis in the unrelenting Sonoran Desert. Starting life as a humble gas and service station for Route 66 travelers, reports of nearby fossil excavations pushed Chester and Hester to build the first of many attractions - a series of junk statues beginning with Cementosaurus Rex, and followed soon by the Tricycleratops and Kegosaurus. As their popularity increased and the simple gas station grew to include a gift shop and cafe, more attractions were built as the Dino-Rama we know and love began to take shape. First came “The Thing!” - an indescribable oddity local legend says Chester dug up in a nearby mine. Triceratops Spin and the midway games have delighted tourists for generations while The Lost Kingdom dark ride and the strange legends surrounding it provide one of a kind thrills and chills.

As Route 66’s popularity declined, so did Dino-Rama’s.

“By the late ‘90s we were close to closing up shop,” lamented Hester. Chester’s death in 2003 further cemented the park’s fate. As all seemed lost, however, the property was revitalized by a strange benefactor - the Dino Institute. The Dino Institute, the independent and unorthodox consortium of paleontologists, began and exciting excavating the surrounding desert, slowly revitalizing the area and giving Dino-Rama a steady trickle of income. As the institute’s presence grew, scientists and tourists alike once again began to pass through the aged gates of Dino-Rama in search of its unique brand of kitsch Americana.

Today, Chester and Hester’s Dino-Rama and the Dino Institute enjoy a strange symbiotic relationship, the old providing relaxing entertainment, and the new becoming a fantastic draw to the area. And as the institute prepares to open its doors to the public for the first time, Hester is ready for what is sure to be their busiest season in decades. We can only hope that this beloved relic is far from extinction.

WELCOME TO DINOLAND U.S.A.!
Untitled drawing (4).jpg

Higher Quality Map
Welcome to a brand new Dinoland U.S.A. This project provides a much needed update to this corner of Animal Kingdom while still keeping its original identity. With this refresh come a number of updates to what stands today as well as a number of additions to fully realize the land's original mission as a celebration of Americana and prehistory.

As I said last week, I'll be updating this slowly over the course of, like, probably too long. I'll be working on this in between Sorcerer's Apprentice projects, tying up loose ends once it's over. But for now, let's take a look at what guests can experience at Dinoland U.S.A.

Attractions
.Dinosaur - A new take on the classic attraction. Board a Time Rover and embark on an extraordinary adventure through dangerous prehistoric jungles and the bitter tundras of the Ice Age.
.The Lost Kingdom - Venture into this unassuming dark ride with a strange, time-bending secret.
.Triceratops Spin - Take flight aboard a friendly Triceratops in this delightful family attraction.
.Primeval Whirl - It's a race against time as guests must spin to power their time machine.
.Countdown to Extinction - Ascend 180ft on a comet before free falling back to earth.
.Dino-Rama Games - A variety of carnival games. Play to win exclusive prizes!
.Ice Age Splash Pad - Cool off in a ever-melting ice block.

Dining
.Restaurantosaurus - A former dormitory for paleontologists converted into a quirky American restaurant
.Dig-In Lounge - Attached to Restaurantosaurs, a more relaxing space for those looking for unique cocktails and small plates.
.Trilo-Bites - A new and expanded counter service featuring a variety of snacks and smaller foods.

Animals
.The Reptile House - A classic Dino-Rama attraction, see the many reptiles who call the Sonoran Desert home.
.Emu - Chester and Hester's farmhouse has been taken over by their domesticated Emu.
.North American Chickens - Witness the true heir to the kingdom of the dinosaurs - the chicken!

--Updates Coming Soon!--​

Last edited:

JokersWild

Original Poster
So I thought it would take me a day or two to make the map, but we’re deep into day three and I’m maybe halfway done haha. I’m going to try to get the overview finished by the end of the weekend, but it’ll depend on how much of my time the current SA project take.

In the meantime, have a sneak peak into the mostly finished northern Dino-Rama plot!
IMG_1944.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom