Just went to Traditions yesterday! I have a couple of questions though...

CariBear

Original Poster
Hi all!

This is my first post here, but I have been reading the boards for a while. I love the wealth of information that they provide!! I just finished Traditions yesterday and I have a couple of questions that I hope someone might be able to answer. I am a part-time cast member in merchandising.

Dining discount: How much is the discount? If I go with my husband, daughter and my sister and her husband can I pay for all of us and receive the discount on the entire check? Do I tell them I am a CM as soon as I am seated?

Learning Centers: I know that some are located at the resorts, but not sure where. I would like to go so I can initially log onto the cast portal to find out more information regarding benefits and other info. What are the hours? Can I bring my daughter with me?

Thanks for any info!!

CrashNet

First, welcome to the forums! I know you will have a great time! :D

Dining Discount: From what I understand (please, anyone correct me if I'm wrong), as long as you are there, anyone at your table will get your discount of 20% at select restaurants throughout WDW. I say select because not all food establishments have the discount. You don't even have to pay for everyone, you just have to be there. I'm not sure if you have to tell them as soon as you are seated or not, but I'm sure it does involve showing them your ID.

Learning Centers: I start the CP Program the 15th, so I'm not sure about the Learning Centers just yet.

Hope that helps! :)

MagliteL13

CariBear said:
Hi all!

This is my first post here, but I have been reading the boards for a while. I love the wealth of information that they provide!! I just finished Traditions yesterday and I have a couple of questions that I hope someone might be able to answer. I am a part-time cast member in merchandising.

Dining discount: How much is the discount? If I go with my husband, daughter and my sister and her husband can I pay for all of us and receive the discount on the entire check? Do I tell them I am a CM as soon as I am seated?

Learning Centers: I know that some are located at the resorts, but not sure where. I would like to go so I can initially log onto the cast portal to find out more information regarding benefits and other info. What are the hours? Can I bring my daughter with me?

Thanks for any info!!

Welcome home!

Oooooh, Merch. Where at? Congrats on traditions.

Anyways, here's the scoop on the Dining Discount-- it's 20% off at most Table Service places. The kicker is that they add in a 15% gratuity. No discount on counter service. Just mention it sometime before the check comes but, most of the time, they'll probably be able to pick you out as a CM before you tell them (based on how you act).

Disney Learning Center:
Did a quick search on the portal (BTW, if you didn't know, you can access it at home too-- http://www.disneyteam.disney.com) Straight from the portal:

Disney Learning Center Locations

• Disney Learning Center at Disney's All-Star Resort

• Disney Learning Center at Disney's Animal Kingdom

• Disney Learning Center at Downtown Disney

• Disney Learning Center at the Disney University

• Disney Learning Center at Epcot

• Disney Learning Center at the Disney-MGM Studios

• Disney Learning Center at the Magic Kingdom

• Disney Learning Center at Disney's Old Key West Resort/Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort

• Disney Learning Center at Disney's Caribbean Beach and Pop Century Resorts

• Disney Learning Center at Disney's Port Orleans Resort

• Disney Learning Center at Vista Way

• Disney Learning Center at Disney's Yacht & Beach Club Resort

• Disney Learning Center at Disney's Vero Beach Resort
All the hours for each one are on the portal and are different (I think they tailor them to the hours of the work locations). Not sure if you'd be able to bring your daughter with.

Hope all this helped some. :)

CrashNet

Well THAT'S interesting. 20% discount with a 15% gratuity before factoring in the discount. Whats the point then, because thats less than a 5% discount, is it not?

MagliteL13

cac2889 said:
Well THAT'S interesting. 20% discount with a 15% gratuity before factoring in the discount. Whats the point then, because thats less than a 5% discount, is it not?

Oh, I know. Kinda lame! The price at most places comes out to what you see on the menu (or buffet). It's basically a discount from gratuity and tax! :) Of course there are those of us who routinely tip more than 15%. When it's added, though, I alsmost take that as a "You're not competant enough to figure this out" type of thing. Completely understand why they do it though.

Magic Maker

Remember to register for the Cast Portal, it is one of the best resources available to you. Welcome to the Disney family. I love it. Just remember life is all about perspective.

CrashNet

MagliteL13 said:
Oh, I know. Kinda lame! The price at most places comes out to what you see on the menu (or buffet). It's basically a discount from gratuity and tax! :) Of course there are those of us who routinely tip more than 15%. When it's added, though, I alsmost take that as a "You're not competant enough to figure this out" type of thing. Completely understand why they do it though.
Well, better than nothing at all. :) And I'm one of those generous tippers.

jimmybop

From what I have heard (not sure how true it is) is that when CMs used to tip on their own, they almost always tipped based on the discounted amout, causing the servers to loose out a bit on what their sopose to get. Hence the automatic tipping.

But apparently if you are that upset about it, you can ask them not to do it and figure the tip out by yourself if you really want.

CariBear

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your replies!! I appreciate all of the information! I am going to be working at Mouse Gear at Epcot starting on Thursday evening.

I am looking forward to getting on the Cast Portal and checking everything out, just need to find a way to register onsite first.

Thanks for the welcome!!

pluto77

MagliteL13 said:
No discount on counter service.
Well not entirely true, that's what I always thought until I went to Animal Kingdom one day and they gave me the discount. At Animal Kingdom and most of the resorts you get discounts at the counter service restaurants. But Magic Kingdom, MGM, and Epcot, you don't. At least that's how it was in 2004.

MagliteL13

pluto77 said:
Well not entirely true, that's what I always thought until I went to Animal Kingdom one day and they gave me the discount. At Animal Kingdom and most of the resorts you get discounts at the counter service restaurants. But Magic Kingdom, MGM, and Epcot, you don't. At least that's how it was in 2004.

Yeah, now that you mention it you're totally right!!! I don't know why I didn't think about that. Thank you for correcting me (and reminding me I can get my discount at Tusker House.....mmmmmmmm)

stitch82

mousermerf said:
And the always fun: "I am not tipping you - so i'm not using my discount.." that occasionally happens.

ouch. that stings. that's no way to support fellow CMs too...i mean...what happened to camaraderie etc? i mean, i know there are tons of CMs, but i think it's still sad. i will NOT be one of those people. how rude.

:fork:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
stitch82 said:
ouch. that stings. that's no way to support fellow CMs too...i mean...what happened to camaraderie etc? i mean, i know there are tons of CMs, but i think it's still sad. i will NOT be one of those people. how rude.

:fork:

Get a cold steak, never get your drink refilled, and never see your waitress again (someone else dropped off the food) and you'll change your mind. It's certainly not something that is decided prior to an experience.

stitch82

mousermerf said:
Get a cold steak, never get your drink refilled, and never see your waitress again (someone else dropped off the food) and you'll change your mind. It's certainly not something that is decided prior to an experience.

well, all i can say is i've been in both shoes so i sympathize on both counts. i've certainly waited my share of tables and have also had crappy service *many many many* times. i guess i'm just one of those jerks who feel the need to explain everything the server is doing wrong...but then still tip them at least something. a server would have to be incredibly inept for me to stiff them, and most likely if it's a cold steak & a disappearance act, i'd be talking to a manager. :(

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I did, the manager told me to walk and not pay. :) (And to calrify, all i did was ask for my check so i could go and the manager asked what was wrong.)

MagliteL13

MPK618 said:
Its an added 18% gratuity, before the 20% discount.

And you have to use it before 6pm.

It doesn't necessarily have to be before 6--all depends on the place. Chef Mickey's will let you use it after 6, same with Crystal Palace. There are probably more but those are the ones I've eaten at after 6 with the discount.

BadTigger said:
THe first time you log on to the portal you have to be on property, you should be able to do it from you workplace, I would surf the Portal during my breaks to keep myself occupied. From home use this link https://enterpriseportal.disney.com

Good point. For me, it's easier to remember http://disneyteam.disney.com but either works. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom