Just got back.

Let me start by letting you know that this was our 11th trip to Disney World, however it was our first in January. This was done since my daughter is now in college and finals are going on during our normal trip times in May. Also along for the trip was my wonderful wife, my 13 y/o son and my daughters "boyfriend" for his first trip to Disney. Since we had five people this time and I did not feel like handing over 2 months of my mortgage for a family suite on grounds, we unfortunately ended up staying off grounds for the first time. I don't know if that affected the magic for me but I will never stay off grounds again. Too much travel time. FYI we stayed in a 2 bedroom condo at Staybridge Suites which is a good neighbor hotel. It was very clean and staff was very nice but you just do not get that magical feel that you get while in the World.

Let me preface this report by saying we obviously love Disney World. I am not however, one of those people that have that glassy eyed look with the rose colored glasses that we all see walking around the parks.

First the positives:

Cast Members were once again very friendly. Even though it is shameful what most of these people are payed, they obviously love Disney and it shows.

The parks as usual were clean, bright and magical. Epcot may be the best place on this earth. Especially, right after Illuminations when the park is emptying out and you can sit down with the warm breeze on your face and listen to Tapestry of Nations. Or how about sitting in Adventureland eating a dole whip after the crowds have done the post Wishes run for the ferry. Come on, you all know the feeling I am talking about.

The weather was great. Most days in the eighties which is saying alot since we live in Wisconsin.

Now the not so positives:

Crowds: I picked this week for advertised low crowd levels between the Holidays and the Marathon. Most websites reported 2-3 crowds out of 10 which is typical of our May or October trips. Wow, were those reports wrong. I have never seen so many touring groups in my life. I even asked a castmember at Hollywood Studios why it was so crowded and she had no idea where all the people were coming from. Castmembers looking for a post Holiday break looked shell shocked. I am not sure, but it is my guess that every school from South America must have booked a Disney World vacation last week.

New fantasyland: I have been following the construction on this website for over two years and could not wait to see it in person. It is very nice to look at, but honestly, we spent less than an hour in this area. I understand that my kids are not small anymore, but there is not alot to do here. We went to Beast Castle for lunch at 1:30 and still ended up waiting in line for an hour to get in. It is great to look at but honestly the food is somewhat average. We got a fastpass for Ariel and it was nice. Both kids mentioned it was the Nemo ride with a little mermaid. We tried to get into Belle but wait times were still over an hour at park close. We walked through the Circus area but again wait times were crazy for Dumbo. My overall impression was pretty average. I really, really, really wanted to love it, but for two+ years of construction and millions of dollars, it is my opinion that it may have been better to put two E ticket rides in there. Or bring back the subs.

Cost: Holy Moly. The last time we went to Disney World was October of 2010. We stayed at the Carribbean Resort, had free Disney dining and purchased seven day tickets for less than $2,300. Taking the boyfriend out of the equation and purchasing the exact same set up this time would have been over $800 more. That does not include the increase in air fare. For the amount of money we went through this time, I could have taken us all to Hawaii for two weeks.

So there you go. My first ever trip report. Alot of positives on this trip, but some pretty big negatives that I have never had for a trip to Disney World. I will be very careful next time on choosing which time of year we go and if prices keep going up, we may need to start picking a different destination.

38053WDW

I'm with ya ! The crowds were terrible especially when you factor in the cost to be in there. Way to crowded to enjoy anything. (wait time for Space Mountain was at 215 minutes at one time!) I will NEVER go in Dec/Jan again... also we ahve done both Halloween (fall) and Christmas/Parades and we like MNSSHP better and the decorations of Fall....

corey154

I was at Hollywood studios last Monday and thought the same thing about the crowds. I was kind of suprised about how many people were there.

And I agree 100% about the prices going up...of course everythig seems to be going up except my paycheck.:eek:

Condorman

What were the exact dates of stay for everyone with regards to the crowds? Are we talking about weekends, weekdays, rope-drops, all parks all day and all night, etc.?

wsmith1978

Very interesting to read about the crowd levels. Sorry it was so busy! That's the main reason we go in February, because it's not as crowded as other times of the year. Last year was an exception, though... very, very busy all day and night. But, we did go one week later than usual. I'm very curious to see how it will be this year. We're going 2/2-2/9, which is a little earlier than usual. I hope it slows down a bit before we get there...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom