Just got back from my 11 day stay. We had a blast but feel extorted by Mickey Mouse.

John park hopper

It's really beginning to seem like a rip off, even the most basic things like drinks... It costs $4 to buy a 20 ounce Coke at Disney now, most of which is ice, but you can find sales at grocery stores or an everyday price at whole sale clubs that'll sell 2 liter bottles of Coke for $1. So that's 270 ounces of Coke at a Grocery Store for $4 vs. 20 ounces of Coke at Disney for $4 ...why is Coke 13 times more expensive a Disney Park than a at grocery store? Because they can charge that much. What's your other option? drink Florida tap water?
It goes beyond just the coke, Mickey bars $5.75 Mickey bar in Publix a box of 6- $7.99, Disney soft pretzel $7.00 soft pretzel Publix $1.10. Water $4.00 Publix 16oz bottle $0.12, lemon ice cup $5.50 Publix box of 6- $4.19 on and on. I realize Disney has costs but these mark ups are a little ridiculous especially when they continue to add new fees (resort parking, resort price increases etc). Yes you don't have to purchase --and I don't in the parks

21stamps

It goes beyond just the coke, Mickey bars $5.75 Mickey bar in Publix a box of 6- $7.99, Disney soft pretzel $7.00 soft pretzel Publix $1.10. Water $4.00 Publix 16oz bottle $0.12, lemon ice cup $5.50 Publix box of 6- $4.19 on and on. I realize Disney has costs but these mark ups are a little ridiculous especially when they continue to add new fees (resort parking, resort price increases etc). Yes you don't have to purchase --and I don't in the parks

The more applicable comparison would be Disney food prices vs other entertainment venue food prices.

You guys are making yourselves angry with these comparisons, they’re not realistic.

plutofan15

If you’re willing to eat cosmic rays

...I think you might be a tad too literal. The point is the price of food has gone up consistently and a lot. Not really a point of contention.
The OP stated that they paid $12.99 for a kids meal to support his/her complaint that they are being "extorted". Exaggerating something in trying to prove something tends to weaken ones point.
Agreed, prices have gone up, certainly not arguing that. But any place where you are "trapped" (amusement park, sports stadium, airport) prices are going to be expensive. Picked Cosmic Ray's completely at random by the way - certainly not an endoresment. :D

unmitigated disaster

The more applicable comparison would be Disney food prices vs other entertainment venue food prices.

You guys are making yourselves angry with these comparisons, they’re not realistic.
Exactly. Had a meal in an airport recently? Bought a bottle of water there? Gotten a beer at a ball park?

Also, look at food in general. Prices are going up- or, at least here in Tucson. Have you seen how much chocolate is these days in a grocery store? Compared to last year?

John park hopper

Not angry at all--- as a consumer it is my choice to pay their prices or not. The poster was complaining about the price of coke in the parks. Simply citing the mark up on other snacks.

eliza61nyc

absolutely!!
Not angry at all--- as a consumer it is my choice to pay their prices or not. The poster was complaining about the price of coke in the parks. Simply citing the mark up on other snacks.
no, they compared it to the local grocery store.

It's really beginning to seem like a rip off, even the most basic things like drinks... It costs $4 to buy a 20 ounce Coke at Disney now, most of which is ice, but you can find sales at grocery stores or an everyday price at whole sale clubs that'll sell 2 liter bottles of Coke for $1. So that's 270 ounces of Coke at a Grocery Store for $4 vs. 20 ounces of Coke at Disney for $4 ...why is Coke 13 times more expensive a Disney Park than a at grocery store? Because they can charge that much. What's your other option? drink Florida tap water?

of course you can. so one simple solution is to bring your own into the parks, that's an option. but I agree with @21stamps , that is not a fair comparison.

Have you ever been to Atlantis, the resort in Paradise Island? coke is 3.50, water I believe when I was there was 2.50.

Yesterday I went to the Phillies game, got the hamburger combo. price 20.00 bucks.

Manco and Manco on the Jersey boardwalk, a plain pizza?? 19.50. Via Napoli 18.00 bucks (although the M&M I think is bigger than the Via napoli).

Point is, most folks know that when you go to a tourist destination the food prices are almost ridiculously marked up. Heck, at least Disney allows you to bring outside food in, most other places I've been too don't.

Again, I understand the frustration, there is no way I'd ever say Disney is cheap.

CAV

Exactly, and I think in the parks, you see such a "sameness" to the menu, like one giant central kitchen is pumping out to 4 restaurants at a time. The ubiquitous New York Strip steak that is on every menu to appease the guy who wants to feel he is getting the best value from his DDP even if the steak is no better than what he would get at a Longhorns.
But those exactly the same entrees have a different name depending on the restaurant. That's gotta be worth AT LEAST a 40% premium.

Club Cooloholic

absolutely!!

no, they compared it to the local grocery store.

of course you can. so one simple solution is to bring your own into the parks, that's an option. but I agree with @21stamps , that is not a fair comparison.

Have you ever been to Atlantis, the resort in Paradise Island? coke is 3.50, water I believe when I was there was 2.50.

Yesterday I went to the Phillies game, got the hamburger combo. price 20.00 bucks.

Manco and Manco on the Jersey boardwalk, a plain pizza?? 19.50. Via Napoli 18.00 bucks (although the M&M I think is bigger than the Via napoli).

Point is, most folks know that when you go to a tourist destination the food prices are almost ridiculously marked up. Heck, at least Disney allows you to bring outside food in, most other places I've been too don't.

Again, I understand the frustration, there is no way I'd ever say Disney is cheap.
I agree that the quick service prices are not really too crazy. The sit down prices have creeped a bit out of control though imo

John park hopper

Yea it is compared to the local grocery store with a nominal mark up in price. I don't think the initial cost to Disney is above what the grocery stores are paying if anything it might be less. Disney has a captive audience and they can mark the price up however much they want and they do,I don't agree with it and don't buy it. Would not pay $10.00 for a $2.00 a beer at a sports venue either.

21stamps

Yea it is compared to the local grocery store with a nominal mark up in price. I don't think the initial cost to Disney is above what the grocery stores are paying if anything it might be less. Disney has a captive audience and they can mark the price up however much they want and they do,I don't agree with it and don't buy it. Would not pay $10.00 for a $2.00 a beer at a sports venue either.

It’s understandable that you may not want to pay those prices, but the reality is that food/drink prices are higher than a grocery at an entertainment venue and most restaurants.

I can make a couple of servings of pancakes at home for a total of about $0.30. In a restaurant, the cost would be $10 or more, per person.

21stamps

I wonder if everyone realizes how much cost goes into entertainment venues, especially amusement parks/theme parks.

Shows, rides, fireworks, staff, etc etc etc. When Publix decides to implement daily fireworks then I’m sure you’ll start paying more for soda. ;)

Even when I think about my Cedar Fair APs, $230 for the pass, $60 ride photos for the season, $40 for season drinks, $143 for season dining.
If that’s all I spent, then the parks would go out of business. They make their money off of things like locker rentals, the games, and the snacks(funnel cakes, ice cream etc etc) that we purchase. Ice cream is almost $7. Funnel cakes are $12. Bottled water is $3. You are not allowed to bring food or drink into the parks.
I do groan about the prices, but I understand it, because I want a clean park with good shows and rides.

Disney’s expenses are much higher, and even though the tickets are more, it still wouldn’t cover said expenses. Disney also doesn’t have the many games to make up some of the cost.

eliza61nyc

Lol OT John,

So the Eagles use to have dollar hot dogs at the stadium, for years you could get a hot dog for a buck. well they won the super bowl in 2018 and I swear last year the dollar dogs were now 7 bucks. WTH!!
Just laughed when you mentioned beer 😂
Captive audiences always get robbed.

I think also one other problem is Disney is hitting visitors with EVERYTHING. Food, parking, tickets at the same time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom