Just booked the Polynesian 7/28/14-8/4/14. Was that a mistake?

TJDinMA

Hello all. I just booked the Poly for the dates and I am wondering if it was a mistake? Being from New England we do not take too kindly to the humidity and all and I recently read the pool will be demolished as we arrive. My wife and I are both turning 40 and are celebrating her birthday while we are down in WDW. I have always wanted to stay at the Poly but it has been too expensive as we have 3 children as well. I have stayed at the PORS and loved the resort, but disliked the long lines going to and from the parks. I am a school teacher during the year so I can only go during "peak times" it seems. I was wondering if I should change my reservation to the Contemporary? Or should I ask for a discount as the pool will not operating in July? I have always wanted to stay at the Poly and it seems the first time I stay there should be the best and not settling. LMK what you think. Thanks.

Minthorne

Hey a New Emglander here too! I'd switch. With the pool down and all the construction I don't think the Poly will be as relaxing or charming. The contemporary is great (but it's pool is kind of boring) or consider the Beach Club for a fantasic pool and location.

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

Premium Member
If the volcano pool is closed, there is still a quiet pool you can use. Also, in the past, when a "feature" pool is closed, Disney offers those hotel guests the option of using a nearby pool. In the case of the Poly, it would likely be Grand Floridian (you can walk or take the boat from Poly to GF.)

If you can get a decent discount and don't mind the construction, the Poly is a wonderful place to stay. It's convenience can't be beat and the rooms have undergone a recent refurb and are lovely. The construction currently is in the beach area and in the two long houses closest to the TTC (though you can still walk through there to get the Epcot monorail.) The Great Ceremonial House will also be in a construction state in the summer.

Upvote 0

giarmo38

Hello all. I just booked the Poly for the dates and I am wondering if it was a mistake? Being from New England we do not take too kindly to the humidity and all and I recently read the pool will be demolished as we arrive. My wife and I are both turning 40 and are celebrating her birthday while we are down in WDW. I have always wanted to stay at the Poly but it has been too expensive as we have 3 children as well. I have stayed at the PORS and loved the resort, but disliked the long lines going to and from the parks. I am a school teacher during the year so I can only go during "peak times" it seems. I was wondering if I should change my reservation to the Contemporary? Or should I ask for a discount as the pool will not operating in July? I have always wanted to stay at the Poly and it seems the first time I stay there should be the best and not settling. LMK what you think. Thanks.

We were scheduled to stay there in September and I just moved resorts due to the construction and no pool. I was devastasted because I love the Poly but if I am going to spend that kind of money I want a stress free stay!

Upvote 0

SuprDav

We live in Alabama and are well accustomed to heat and humidity. With that said, our most recent visit to WDW was in May 2011 and we vowed never to go again during the summer months. The concrete and asphalt multply the heat factor by 10. It was tough on us and we drink plenty of water and walk almost daily at home for exercise. If you have the option, try a visit on a milder month. If that's your only time available, get ready and do the best you can! :)

Upvote 0

ryguy

mistake. I would avoid the place for the next year, even if they do give you a discount. Who wants to stay at a construction site? To many other good choices at the World.

Upvote 0

jlsHouston

Personally I love the POLY too and I am avoiding it this year. But if this is your one shot at it, then definitely ask for a discount on the room rate you booked for. And as @Tuvalu said you should be able to enjoy the big pools of a neighbor resort, such as the GF. Last summer we got "passes" to go to the GF for the hot tub and got to use the pools and we were at the POLY.

Upvote 0

lunchbox1175

If you do ask for a discount, let us know if you get one, I am interested to see what their response is. I agree with @Minthorne I would switch to the Yacht or Beach, its a very relaxing area, and personally, we tend to spend more time at Epcot and HS so it works really well for convenience.

Upvote 0

smk

I would go to the WL. It is a gorgeous place, POLY is close by and you could go explore it as future resort to pick and FW is close. FW has much to offer, the horse barns, the nightly campfire and movies. I love the POLY but with the pool down and the construction, I would not stay there. I would love to know their response to asking for a discount to stay at the POLY while the pool is down and construction going on. I don't recall them offering us a discount at Sports during their main pool shut down, but then again, we never asked!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom