Trip Report Just back - 3/17/18 - 3/24/18

Just got back a couple of hours ago from a week at WDW. It was very amazing, better than I ever expected! So I thought I would post a trip report and hopefully help out a few people with my week. We never had to wait more than 30 minutes for Standby on any of the rides, which I credit to a good plan and a lot of luck! This was our 3rd trip to WDW, 2nd in the "FP+" era. Our last trip was 2 years ago and our boys were too small to ride most of the "best" rides, so we had not experienced a lot before.

Our plane arrived at Orlando Int'l Airport around 6:30PM on 3/17. By the time we got on the Magical Express and were bussed in, we arrived at around 8PM. We stayed at Pop Century. We were in building 5 of the 60's, preferred pool view. They just opened this building after the refurbs sometime in the week or so before we arrived. It appeared upon first look that we may have been the first people to stay in our room after the refurb. The rooms are fantastic. It does seem a little tight when you have the murphy bed down but not any tighter than it was before the refurb with double beds. No issues with the room at all, other than it seemed that one of the USB plugins may not have been working right, as it would only partially charge my iPad. Since we were late getting in, we just had a meal at the hotel and let the kiddos play in the arcade. We were a party of 6, our rooms were not connecting but very close together.

FYI, we went with the normal Dining plan. If you are on a tight budget, definitely not the cheapest option. But it was nice to have 2 snacks, 1 quick service for lunch, and a table service for dinner. It gives us a nice structure to our day without having to worry about the sticker shock that comes with some of the table service restaurants! I highly recommend it unless you are on a tight budget, even though it may cost a few dollars extra in the end. The peace of mind is worth every penny for us.

We started out Sunday morning, 3/18, at Hollywood Studios. It was an EMH morning there so we were on the bus at 7 to be at the park at 7:30. The kids wanted to do Jedi training. I am not much of a "big" roller coaster person, so we split up at rope drop, with some going and doing Rock N' Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror at Rope Drop, while I took the kids over to sign up for Jedi Training. We were about 6th in line for Jedi Training, had the pick of all the times. There was a large line that developed behind us but Jedi Training did not become completely filled. We also had time to ride Star Tours twice before the rest of our party caught up to us. Then it was time to ride Star Tours a third time with our first FP shortly after the park fully opened at 9. We then had our second FP after that for Toy Story Mania. We got a quick snack before TSM and then the boys wanted their picture with Cruz Ramirez as they are big Cars fans. TSM was a lot of fun but I can't imagine doing standby until they get all 3 tracks back open. After a quick snack, we went to Frozen Sing-Along for our last FP at HS. It was then time for Jedi Training, which my boys loved. We did lunch at Backlot Express, then headed over to the Launch Bay to meet Kylo Ren and BB-8. Chewie had a 30 minute wait so we skipped him for the time being. We skipped Voyage of the Little Mermaid and Indy altogether this trip.

From there, we had reservations over at Tusker House so we headed towards Animal Kingdom. I got a Tough to Be a Bug Fastpass(wasn't needed but hey, might as well grab it and use it!) so we did that quickly before the Tusker meal. Brazilian Tour Groups were pretty thick early in the week and for some reason they were all determined to run us over trying to get in to the show. That was our only real issue with them though, other than that they were not bad, just noticeable. Tusker was a good meal, not quite exactly what I expected, but I mostly chose there for the character dining for the kids and the food was good.
From there, we headed over to DinoLand as Pandora was a madhouse, which was fine as we had our FoP fastpass later in the week. With our youngest being 4, they like to do the Triceratops Spin, though we opted to skip Primeval Whirl. I was able to get another FP for Dinosaur, so we rode that as I had never been on it before. It was more intense than I expected! I would have liked it more had there not been 4 screaming kids in our vehicle...luckily only 2 of them were mine! We ended the evening with Rivers of Light. My oldest son LOVED it. I thought it was pretty good, though probably my least favorite of the nighttime offerings at the 4 parks. Still, I'd definitely watch it again.

Monday was our Epcot day. We rope dropped Soarin, which was a walk-on. Quite a good ride but I prefer to have my feet on some kind of flooring, so i was not as big of a fan as the rest of our group. We then did Living With The Land, The Seas with Finding Nemo, and Journey Into Imagination with Figment. Figment was my boys' favorite ride for the entire trip. They have wild imaginations so that ride appealed to them more than anything. Then it was time for our Frozen FP. The wait at that point was only 30 minutes standby but by the time we were done with our FP it had ballooned up to 50 minutes. The rest of World Showcase was not open quite yet so we made a quick trip over to meet Joy and Sadness, as well as Baymax. We didn't do the Character Spot because we had so many character dining and other meets that it didn't seem necessary. So it was back over to World Showcase. we had lunch at the little quick service Mexican Restaurant, the name I cannot remember. The chicken tacos were very delicious, reminded me of Street Tacos that are popular around here. Then we went to the Gran Fiesta Tour with the Three Caballeros, and then walked around the rest of the World Showcase. No "Drinking around the world" here, though I did sample a couple of drinks and snacks. We allowed our Mission:Space FP to lapse. I had wanted to ride it but nobody else in my party had any interest. We also did not try for Test Track. We did it in it's previous form, and while we had fun, we had no real desire to go back to it. We did use our Spaceship Earth FP. My parents, who are not quite retirement age, wanted to ride the monorail, so we took a break from Epcot to do that. Then we went back in to Epcot. At this point we had tackled everything we wanted and had an hour to waste before dinner at Akershus, so we did the Pixar Short Film festival, the Disney Visa meet and greet(Goofy there was the Goofiest!), and were able to meet Anna & Elsa, all in that hour time frame. The weather threatened to rain all day but it all went just to the north of Epcot. It kept the crowds down a bit so we were able to tackle pretty much everything. Turtle Talk with Crush was down for some reason a majority of the day but that was not a big deal for any of us.

I'll Start a reply to this thread with the next couple of days...

Deuce84p

Original Poster
Tuesday 3/20 was our first MK day. I figured Tuesday & Wednesday would likely be the lightest crowd days at MK, and I was right. Tuesday ended up having a big threat of storms(that I had not counted on when I originally planned the day). That kept crowds extremely light for the entire day. I had my heart set on Haunted Mansion, so we did that at Rope Drop. I had a FP scheduled for it but was able to modify it for a 1PM Jungle Cruise FP. From there, we went back to Adventureland and tackled Splash and BTMRR, all within the first hour of the day. We had a FP for Peter Pan shortly after that but still had a little time to waste, so we did It's a Small World. We then did Peter Pan. I had not planned to do most of Fantasyland until Wednesday, but crowds were so light that we tackled Small World, Peter Pan, the Carousel, Philharmagic and Winnie the Pooh all before Lunchtime. For our quick service meal, we hit up Pinocchio Village Haus. It was then time to start going towards Adventureland. Pirates had a short wait, so we hopped on there, which allowed me to again modify a FP, to Under the Sea w/ Little Mermaid. The "auction scene" change did not bother me. Had I not known what it had been before, I wouldn't have given it a thought that it was different or out of place. Most people will never know any better. After Pirates, we did our Jungle Cruise FP, and Aladdin. We took a break for a Dole Whip as well. At that point we checked the radar and saw rain was coming, so we went to the Main Street shops. About the time we got there, a Tornado Warning alert came on my phone. While we were technically in the warned area, WDW never looked to be in real danger of anything. That only lasted a few minutes, just long enough for me to buy a few pins(which has seemingly started a bad habit of pin collecting!). Since we were close to Town Square we went over to meet Tinkerbell when the rain let up. During that 15 minute wait, the skies opened up again and sent most of the crowds out of the park, but it only lasted a few minutes and we were back at it. We went over to Tomorrowland, which we didn't plan on doing until Wednesday, but only did the Peoplemover and Carousel of Progress. Then it was time for Under the Sea w/ Little Mermaid and our reservation at Be Our Guest. After Be Our Guest, we could have done more but after doing about 2/3 of the park already, decided to call it an early evening.

Wednesday we were back at it, doing Space Mountain at rope drop. The kids also wanted to do Tomorrowland Speedway, so we tackled that, then on to the Mad Tea Cups and Dumbo. Our first FP of the day was 7DMT so we had a blast on that ride. It was MUCH cooler Wednesday through the rest of the week, seemed unseasonable for mid to late March, so i had to stop and buy a hoodie, as my light jacket was not doing the trick. And of course, that meant I needed another pin or two for my collection. FP number 2 for the day was Enchanted Tales with Belle. The wait without the FP was only 20 minutes so it wasn't needed but I had seen that it was highly recommended. That completed our trip to Fantasyland. We opted against the Barnstormer and rode around WDW on the railroad instead. We were starting to get tired of all the coasters at that point and knew that the Barnstorm was not worth the 30 minute standby wait. By this time the crowd started to really thicken as the day got a little warmer, so wait times were MUCH higher the rest of the trip. However, at this point we were basically down to just a handful of attractions in Tomorrowland, so we were able to navigate easily. Our 3rd FP of the day was for Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin. I always seem to get the seat with a faulty laser gun, because my scores are always terrible and I KNOW I'm not a bad aim. Still one of my favorite rides though. During another ride on the Carousel of Progress(another one of my family's favorites!) I was able to get a Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor FP, which saved us a 30 minute wait. We had some time to waste before dinner at Crystal Palace, so we signed the boys up for Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom and did that for a while. Did not quite get to complete it though. My wife was dying for a parade because the Tuesday parades were cancelled due to the weather so we had to watch Move It Shake it. By the time we were done with Crystal Palace, we goofed around for a bit and found a solid spot for Happily Ever After. That is the best fireworks show I've seen. We all loved it. Wednesday was evening EMH and I lobbied to keep going until 1AM but that idea didn't fly, so we wrapped it up at 10PM since we had plans to rope drop Pandora the next day.

(Rest of trip report in my next reply).

Deuce84p

Original Poster
As mentioned, Thursday was back to Animal Kingdom to Rope Drop Pandora. We got on the bus at 7 and at the park at 7:30. They opened the gates at 7:40. However, they did not stop anyone at any point. Pandora rides were already operating. We were able to walk-on FoP, then Na'vi River Journey twice. After Na'vi twice, FoP was up to it's normal 120+ minute wait but we had an FP. So FoP and Navi both twice before 8:30 worked out about as perfectly as we ever could've asked. We then went to Kilamanjaro Safari, which had a short 5 minute wait. most of the animals were out and about, more than normal, so that was a real treat. We also got over to Festival of the Lion King. It was too cold for Kali River Rapids and as mentioned previously, we were tired of coasters at this point, so no visited the Yeti for me. We were out of Animal Kingdom by 10:30. We spent a good portion of the afternoon at Disney Springs, which meant more pins from the pin trading shop. I found an Epcot 35 pin there, only one I saw all week, so I grabbed it up. Then dinner was at Sci-Fi Diner. If you haven't done that, I highly recommend it. It's definitely a one of a kind dining experience. Ashley, our "carhop", was amazing. After dinner, we did what we missed at HS the other morning, including Muppetvision, Meeting Olaf, Meeting Chewbacca, etc. Then it was time for the Star Wars Galactic Spectacular. It was not as good as I had hoped. We preferred the previous Star Wars Fireworks show from a couple of years ago. Still, any Disney fireworks show is significantly better than anything our area offers for the Fourth of July, so no complaints here. The crowd was VERY light for a fireworks show though, and all of the attractions/meets were walk-ons except for TSM and RNRC for the last hour of the evening.

Since we accomplished everything we set out to do and still had a day left, we decided to let the boys pick where to go and what to do on Friday. This meant a trip back to Epcot for another ride with Figment. We did not rope drop Friday. Got there at about 10AM and had a 30 minute wait. Also rode Spaceship Earth again, because I have to ride it every time I am in Epcot. Luckily my FP I had made that a 10 minute wait so we didn't have to wait 45 in standby. For some unexplained reason SSE had a shorter wait than Frozen at that time. It didn't last, as by the time we thought about going back there, i checked the MDE app and Frozen had gone back to it's normal 60 minute wait. We then went back to the pool at Pop Century, as the boys wanted to swim no matter how cold it was. I wandered over to the Art of Animation during that time as well. Then it was time to go back to the MK. We didn't have much time in MK before we needed to head over to Chef Mickey's for dinner, but fit in time to meet Buzz Lightyear and do a ride on the Peoplemover. It was significantly more crowded than earlier in the week, almost everything had at least a 30 minute wait. So we went over to Chef Mickey's for dinner. It was good, but not as good as our trip a couple of years ago. However, it was fine, and we mostly went for the boys for the character dining and they had a blast. We then called it a night because we needed to pack for our early flight this morning.

This morning was an early morning to catch our flight, so no notes to pass along today.
However, some observations:

1. A good plan, and also some great luck, can go a long way in getting everything done. We did everything we wanted to do, only passed on a handful of rides and attractions, and still had time leftover. Like our spring break trip 2 years ago, the early part of the week was significantly less crowded. The weather on Monday/Tuesday played a huge part as well. Even though very little rain actually fell, the threat of rain/storms kept the crowds way down.
2. Table service restaurants in the evening seemed to have plenty of open tables. Be Our Guest was not full, neither was Chef Mickey's. Akershus was full but did not have a huge crowd waiting outside like we had known from our previous trip. Crystal Palace was really the only Table Service/Character Dining that had a large crowd.
3. I am now addicted to pin collecting. So if anyone wants to contribute, I appreciate it!
4. We love the dining plan. Getting an alcoholic beverage with our table service meals was a real treat also. It's not for everyone, but if you're on the fence about and saving every penny possible isn't an issue, then go for it.
5. We bought the Memory Maker package. It was the only way we could convince my dad to keep his camera at home. I think it was worth it, we will see once we get all the pictures saved and printed though.
6. Pop Century was full of teens on spring break, as well as some baseball and cheer teams. No issues with any of them, just odd to see so many teens unsupervised. The refurbed rooms were great. I now have to adjust to having a smaller TV in my bedroom again.
7. FoP is not worth the 150-180 minute waits. It is an amazing ride, definitely one of my favorites, but no way can i justify those wait times. It is basically Soarin, with a different ride vehicle.

Now I just have to convince my wife to let us go again before the 50th anniversary...that is when she currently says we can go back!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom