June 10th - Couple MK/Epcot Updates/Observations (pics)

MissM

Original Poster
First off - we're passholders again! :sohappy: We upgraded our Play 3 to a seasonal so we've got a year of Disney love ahead of us. Weeee!

So we headed out and visited Ecpot and MK yesterday. Found a few observations I thought I'd report. Info first, then pics.

Epcot
- It's the last weekend of the Flower and Garden Festival so all F&GF mechandise is 50% off. The plush, the shirts, the prints, etc. If you wanted anything, today's the chance to get it half off.

- We arrived there in the morning with awful smoke. As already reported there were wildfires in the area. It was so smokey you couldn't see much in front of you - even Spaceship Earth as you'll see in the pic below. It also had a very strong fire smell. The smoke got better into the afternoon - more visability- though you still had whiffs of the smokey smell through the day.

june06-epcotsmoke.jpg

This was from the "Amaze" parking lot - very close to the front. It's hard to really get a sense of how smokey it was (from a photo), but this might give you some idea.

- Rode the MS:Green ("Less Intense" training as they remind you over and over :lol: ) to see what it was like. Oy. It's less intense all right. There was a steady guest flow for the green line though, so I suppose it's a smart move. Green had a 10 minute posted wait; Orange 30 minutes after lunch. The green really is very tame. If you don't like spinning, and hadn't previously wanted to ride M:S for fear of being sick, you definitely can ride the green line. It's really very, very mild. My only worry is that it's SO mild, there might be people who decide to ride the orange that will end up getting sick on the original version not realizing it's quite a bit different from the non-spinning version.

Magic Kingdom
- Wasn't really any smoke smell at MK and visability was good over there. We got to MK in the afternoon. By then, things were better at Epcot as well.

- Tomorrowland Noodle Terrace was closed - however - they had a sign they were going to open from 5pm - 9pm. And sure enough, they did. (The rain helped sales. During the hour or so of rain, the place was full of people waiting out the storm, having a bite to eat.)

june06-noodle.jpg

- Speaking of food, Cosmic Ray's Bay 3 was open at least until 4:30pm yesterday. I was getting a burger around then and Bay 3 was serving guests still. It's hours must be on a flex schedule.

- Part of the audio on the TTA wasn't working. Specifically, when you enter Space Mountain, it didn't do the "welcome to space mountain...." part. There was nothing there at all. The exit line when leaving the mountain worked, but not the entry audio. We rode it 3 or 4 times in the day/night and it didn't play any of the times.

- The PotC shop has a bunch of stuff on markdown. A lot of the older style (i.e. without Jack on them) shirts, hats and related are clearanced out. I picked up a hat for $11.99 and a shirt for $17.99. Just go in towards the back and check out the shirts. It's well worth if you wanted a style shirt that's pre-rehab. ALL the shirts on property for Pirates besides those feature Jack in some way, so clearly they're moving the merchandise towards him specifically instead of the ride in general.

- They also have new PotC Mickey Mouse ears. (I don't remember seeing them in May, so apologies if these have been previously mentioned.)

june06-piratehat.jpg

- Buzz's Meet-and-Greet which used to be in front of Timekeeper building and then inside its queue area for awhile has found a new home near Carousel of Progress. You use the same ramp to go to the meet-n-greet as the ride. Just head left for the ride or right for the Buzz meet. He was out pretty much all afternoon long. I'm happy to report that CoP had nice traffic all afternoon as well. This move might mean more people head that way and therefore more people decide to do the ride while there.

june06-copbuzz.jpg

(Of course, you can't see Buzz in my hastily taken shot, but you can see where people have been lining up here towards the Buzz greet.)

- We got rained on - despite 0% rain in the forecast! - for a little over an hour in the evening. No real thunderstorm so no real lightning or thunder to speak of, just a gathering of clouds, wind started picking up, and then a moderate deluge before it tappered off.

A note to any TTA fans: Don't ride the TTA when it's raining. We were on it when it started to come down pretty heavy and we got soaked! :lol: The rain just peltered us from both sides as we crossed the Indy Speedway area. ("As usual everything is perfect!" was untrue this time mr weather reporter! :D ) Neither the parade nor Wishes was disrupted in any way but the rain. It stopped well before either.

Ok, think that's all I wanted to report. Hope that helps!
-m

bassman

thanks for the pics.hope them fires get sorted soon.
erm this may seem an odd question but are there jack sparrows hats (the one he wears in the movie)on sale.
im only asking because i need one for a fancy dress party im having for my 18th (childish i know,but hey im a disney nut and your only 18 once :D)
im going as jack and all i need now is his hat

MissM

Original Poster
I did see a couple of the brown "triangle" style hats - not many just a couple - but I didn't look at the price. Sorry.
-m

sum41914

There was more smoke in the Epoct Parking later yesturday becuase of a Car fire yesturday in the Epcot Parking lot, that spread to a few trees near it. I was working in the Magic Kingdom Parking lot yesturday and and could see the smoke rise from the lot. A few co-workers went out for dinner and couldn't get back becuase they closed off the roads leading to Epcot. This was around sunset last night. Then at my location (TTC) they asked if anyone wanted to go help with the rerouting of traffic. There were no cars coming to the MK for about an hour. So yeasturday was a very smoky day for Epcot guests.

~Sum

shaelyn

Thanks for the update! WOW talk about SMOKE. I wish the old-fashione POTC stuff had been on sale 2 weeks ago when we were down, the Jack merch screams "HOT TOPIC" to me for some reason :(

bassman said:
erm this may seem an odd question but are there jack sparrows hats (the one he wears in the movie)on sale.
im only asking because i need one for a fancy dress party im having for my 18th (childish i know,but hey im a disney nut and your only 18 once )

When we were down there we saw a couple versions. There was one that was stiff and youth-sized, i think, one with a Captain Hook medallion on it (no love for Capt. Hook anymore :(), and one that was adult sized and floppy and looked great. The only place we saw that one was in the Villains store in MGM. It was about 20 bucks. Haha my boyfriend was completely obsessed with the hats and alllllmost bought one, but opted for a pewter wine goblet from Norway instead :D

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
MissM said:
- Buzz's Meet-and-Greet which used to be in front of Timekeeper building and then inside its queue area for awhile has found a new home near Carousel of Progress.

Aaaack! :lookaroun Somebody get that meet and greet away from COP! Meet N' Greets are the kiss O' death if I have ever seen one! :lol:

Nice report by the way....:wave:

jcldtrek

talkin bout the potc merchandise, anyone notice that their kinda lackin any new good stuff for the ride/movie. i know they got the action figures and mouse ears just seems there wasn't much new things. kinda looks like their waiting for the new movie to come out to put out all the good stuff.

shmmrname

Great Update!

PS - I bought a PotC shirt on our last trip. It was red, with three blocks, each containing the classic character's silhouttes riding in a stylized version of the ride. I noticed Space Mountain and Splash Mountain had these as well, does anyone know if they are still being sold? If so, what other rides are featured?

I was just arriving at the studios at that time and saw that black plume of smoke from the car fire in the Epcot parking lot from there.

And the Smoke from the woods fire came rolling into the park about 8pm or so, and managed to creep all the way into the Great Movie Ride, stinxxxxxx

sdwsq2005

Oooooo the pic were great! BTW, looking at the COP, is it still open each day? We're going in Sept. and it's one of most favorite places.

hokielutz

bassman said:

You should be able to find plenty of the brown hats at the World of Disney store at downtown. They have a pretty good setup of pirate dress-up merchandise there two weeks ago and I am sure they will keep that stocked through the release of the movie.

SewIn2Disney

Now why couldn't the Flower and Garden stuff be on sale last weekend while I was there? I wanted the Mickey and Minnie topiary plushie, but I thought $25 was a little much for it. I ended up buying only the "toothpick holder" (aka, shot glass).
If I were to buy some items from the mail order, would they give me the 50% off too? Or would I still be buying full price?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom