News Joe Rohde Reveals He Thought Avatar Might End His Career: Insights from the Legendary Disney Imagineer

UNCgolf

Disagree… not every ride needs a bit of a thrill… we also need rides that everyone can ride from 2 - 90…, I love the atmospheric relaxing vibe of the ride…. I just wish it was longer so I could enjoy it more, but that is not Rohde’s fault

Agreed -- I actually think NRJ is one of the best rides they've built at WDW in the past 10-15 years, all things considered. I enjoy it more than Smuggler's Run, Slinky Dog Dash, Toy Story Mania, TRON, Cosmic Rewind, Ratatouille, Little Mermaid, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Tiana, and MMRR (that doesn't mean I think all of those are bad, because I don't... I just like NRJ more).

Obviously it would be great if it was longer, but it's a C ticket, not an E ticket. It's not supposed to be a major headliner.

erasure fan1

Disagree… not every ride needs a bit of a thrill… we also need rides that everyone can ride from 2 - 90…, I love the atmospheric relaxing vibe of the ride…. I just wish it was longer so I could enjoy it more, but that is not Rohde’s fault
Animal kingdom needs more dark rides similar to Navi. There's a real need for family friendly dark rides in that park. I think people tend to pick on it is because it's such a step down from flight of passage. If the land had a nice D-ticket and Navi was the 3rd ride diversion, I think it's better received. Yes, it's too short, it could have used at least one AA creature (preferably a banshee) hiding out. But overall it's solid as a distraction.

Epcot81Fan

Personally, I prefer listening to him wax poetic about asphalt in an embarrassing carny area.

1722888248560.png

Epcot82Guy

Animal kingdom needs more dark rides similar to Navi. There's a real need for family friendly dark rides in that park. I think people tend to pick on it is because it's such a step down from flight of passage. If the land had a nice D-ticket and Navi was the 3rd ride diversion, I think it's better received. Yes, it's too short, it could have used at least one AA creature (preferably a banshee) hiding out. But overall it's solid as a distraction.

Agreed. I actually wish it had more of the environment in the queue. (I love the queue, btw, but it could have been part of the experience.) But, I think blurring the line of line and attraction would do wonders. Otherwise, a longer version of what it already is would have been excellent.

DisneyHead123

And further, I hope that I have established a sense of discipline, deep study, and gravitas to the work. Over the years I have come to believe that what we do is far and away the most complex and technically sophisticated art form in the world. No film, no opera, no theatrical or architectural enterprise comes close. It deserves intellectual sophistication that is equal to its technical sophistication.

This is a great perspective. I hope something of it gets preserved in the new IP era. Nothing wrong with IP - it has special meaning to a lot of people. But the approach matters.

DKampy

I agree that Animal Kingdom needs more dark rides… but I will take Navi for what it is…. I love rides that has an atmospheric environments(one of my favorite sections of any ride is the environment at the beginning of pirates before any pillaging has begun… when was the last time any company has created a quality no thrills dark ride WDW, Universal, or other in the domestic parks… everybody is so ADD theses days and just want thrills… I’ll take Navi the way it is…. I think it is about the journey through the environment and IMO perhaps the best use of implementing screens on any ride… as I said just needs to be longer

UNCgolf

if I was paying for a relaxation spa environment... but really wanted a hard bench to sit on... maybe I'd agree. But for something specifically built for entertainment... I disagree.

Well sure, it's all subjective.

But I enjoy riding it more than any of the other rides I mentioned, so it works from an entertainment perspective for me.

I actually enjoy it more than FOP too now... I didn't at first, but while I still enjoy FOP, the fact that I'm essentially just watching a movie means it kind of lost its appeal/novelty a lot more quickly than rides with physical environments. That said, I've always believed Disney should be more focused on guests that aren't there regularly (i.e., most guests aren't going to ride an attraction multiple times a year), so I don't think that's a problem.

Last edited:

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
"We realized that the robotic shaman figure was capable of a deeper and more convincing psychological performance than we had realized. That led us to redevelop the entire script to take advantage of the remarkable performance quality of this figure."
Meanwhile at Tianna’s Bayou Adventure…

Sorry but it’s down.

No pictures of flailing Tianna and the okra AA.

fgmnt

While I don't think Flight is as good as Tower, you can draw a line from the great tradition of WDI Imagineering from Tower to Pandora/Flight of Passage, and in my opinion, the medium and organization has not evolved much since then. Taking a nominal influence from an intellectual property, some basic idea of what kind of attraction experience the parks are lacking, and building them into a park and woven into the fabric of it so seamlessly, you cannot imagine the place without it.

Guardians is a fantastic attraction, Rise is alright... but the domestic capital investments in the parks have not improved since Rohde left his potential final mark on Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom