Jaws 3

kirst_al UK

Original Poster
Jaws 3 was on ye ol' UK box last night.................was it really filmed @ Seaworld Orlando?

Was really cool seeing the difference between then and now especially as it was filmed before i was even born !!!

Jaws 3 was on ye ol' UK box last night.................was it really filmed @ Seaworld Orlando?

Was really cool seeing the difference between then and now especially as it was filmed before i was even born !!!

Hey Your In Hull too! WOW :)
Yeah It was filmed In Orlando - well most of it anyway Im certain the Undersea Kingdom bit was shot in a studio

primetime52

Hey Your In Hull too! WOW :)
Yeah It was filmed In Orlando - well most of it anyway I certain the Undersea Kingdom bit was shot in a studio

Hmm I had thought it was supposed to be Sea World San Diego, but according to Wikipedia it was indeed Florida... (not that Wiki is always right). It actually doesn't make sense for this film to take place in Orlando since the Sea World lagoon in the film is attached to the open ocean by a simple underwater gate. We all know that Sea World Orlando is nowhere near the open Ocean.

The undersea kingdom was a fictional attraction created for the movie.

kirst_al UK

Original Poster
Hmm I had thought it was supposed to be Sea World San Diego, but according to Wikipedia it was indeed Florida... (not that Wiki is always right). It actually doesn't make sense for this film to take place in Orlando since the Sea World lagoon in the film is attached to the open ocean by a simple underwater gate. We all know that Sea World Orlando is nowhere near the open Ocean.

Well i i'd it (on sky!) and it said something about a theme park in florida - if i hadnt have done that i would never have watched it to be honest !! I heard that when it was released in the cinema it was actually jaws 3d - how cool would that've been - some scenes looked so fake.....it really tickled me but when found out about it being 3d - wow i'd loved to have seen it !!!!

It actually doesn't make sense for this film to take place in Orlando since the Sea World lagoon in the film is attached to the open ocean by a simple underwater gate. We all know that Sea World Orlando is nowhere near the open Ocean.

yeah but lets be honest thats not the only thing in the script that doesnt make sense -bubbles comming out of the shark, the shark roaring - pretty impressive considering they dont have vocal cords!

crazydaveh

Yes, most of Jaws 3 - D was filmed at the Orlando Park. All the lagoon shots with the beach were not in Orlando as mentioned before.

The underwater control center and bar scenes were shot in what's now Sharks Underwater Grill. If you go into the restaurant, the small room with tables on the far right looking at the sharks is where Jaws busted through the glass near the end. No, the glass didn't really break, but 1980's special effects technology sure made us think it did!

The ski scenes were filmed at Bayside Stadium and back then, people could swim in the water and they had bumper boats and a beach. It's now where the walkways and Waterfront area is located.

The scenes with Shamu (very few) were shot at what is now the Dolphin Stadium. That used to be Shamu's home until they built the larger stadium and pools for the killer whales years later.

General Park shots were shot all over the park, it was decked out for the movie.

Oh, one last thing, the two dolphins who survived the huge shark Molly and Dolly (I think that's their names) are still at the park, but at Discovery Cove. We did a dolphin encounter there with Molly. The trainers there told us that she was in Jaws 3 and it was neat to know that we were being pulled back to the man made shore by a movie legend!

If you go to the park and go into Guest Services, there are photos on the wall from filming. Pretty interesting to look at for a few minutes!

kirst_al UK

Original Poster
Yes, most of Jaws 3 - D was filmed at the Orlando Park. All the lagoon shots with the beach were not in Orlando as mentioned before.

The underwater control center and bar scenes were shot in what's now Sharks Underwater Grill. If you go into the restaurant, the small room with tables on the far right looking at the sharks is where Jaws busted through the glass near the end. No, the glass didn't really break, but 1980's special effects technology sure made us think it did!

The ski scenes were filmed at Bayside Stadium and back then, people could swim in the water and they had bumper boats and a beach. It's now where the walkways and Waterfront area is located.

The scenes with Shamu (very few) were shot at what is now the Dolphin Stadium. That used to be Shamu's home until they built the larger stadium and pools for the killer whales years later.

General Park shots were shot all over the park, it was decked out for the movie.

Oh, one last thing, the two dolphins who survived the huge shark Molly and Dolly (I think that's their names) are still at the park, but at Discovery Cove. We did a dolphin encounter there with Molly. The trainers there told us that she was in Jaws 3 and it was neat to know that we were being pulled back to the man made shore by a movie legend!

If you go to the park and go into Guest Services, there are photos on the wall from filming. Pretty interesting to look at for a few minutes!

Wow thats brilliant !!
if i'd have known about the pics in Guest Services the last time i went i would've taken a look !!
I noticed the bayside stadium - that doesnt seemed to have changed over the years - but i wondered about shamu's, i thought that it was his current one just over the years they had extended it - i didnt realise they used to do shamu's show in there !!
I thought about that scene being in underwater grill - looked famililar.
Oh bless - thats great about the dolphins - ye i bet it was real cool !!

Rabflmom

Did they really allow swimming in the lake when they first opened? I wasn't there till 1975 for the first time, but the only one who swam in the lake was the diver who was in the best ski show they ever had--Super Heroes. LOL My 29 year old son has most of his baby pictures being held by one of the heroes in the meet and greet after the show. I don't remember the bumper boats. If it was a pay for thing we would have ignoed them because we only did what our year passes covered.

Anybody else remember when they only had the one huge whale? In 1975 they did a bicentennial show and the thing I remember about it is, they had Shamu float belly up with a row boat on him. He knocked the trainer out of it and the trainer semed to be very afraid to be in the water with him. They did all their commands from the stage and the show was just the whale in the water.

Basically they only had one or 2 restaurants back then too. One was sort of a mess hall with enough long rows of tables in a huge room for hundreds to eat at once after they picked up their burgers. That was the only place we ever ate. Maybe we just couldn't afford anything more than burgers then and didn't notice anywhere else to eat.

Remember Japan Village? I think it was sort of the whole back part of the park. You walked over the bridge by Mama Mias and entered across from there sort of. I remember that is where the pearl divers were and they had a petting zoo with mostly little deer.

And to get out of the sun you would go in the theater where Pets Ahoy is now and watch a dancing water show.

I am sitting here trying to remember what else there was to do. There was only the 4 animal shows and Japan village as far as I can remember. We would be there from opening to about 6PM whenever we spent a Sunday there. Once our oldest was walking we probably spent time in the playground which was nothing like Shamus Happy Harbor. It was on the main sidewalk to what is Key West area now. I think it was just statues to climb on and a few of the bouncy dolphin or shamus to sit and ride the first times he played there. 5 years later when our 2nd was old enough to play I think they had put in a ship with a water play area.
BTW
After they filmed jaws they had one of the jaws sharks on display in the park.

kirst_al UK

Original Poster
Wow it certainly sounds like it has changed....!!

I dont quite understand why Seaworld didnt get the Jaws ride and its based in Universal - ok it is a movie by Universal Pictures but thought would be more logical to have it based at the place it was filmed?

Wow it certainly sounds like it has changed....!!

I dont quite understand why Seaworld didnt get the Jaws ride and its based in Universal - ok it is a movie by Universal Pictures but thought would be more logical to have it based at the place it was filmed?

like you say its because it's a Universal film, so they have the rights to the francise also Jaws 3 wasnt really a Jaws Film. accoriding to Universal, Jaws the Revenge is the sequel to Jaws 2

crazydaveh

And with SeaWorld changing owners around that time, the new owners didn't want anything to do with the movie because it didn't go over as well as the first two movies.

Now that Anheuser-Busch owns the park, if you mention the movie or anything to do with the movie to the high ups, they change the subject VERY FAST! They don't do it to be rude, but they want to focus on what's there now and coming in the future and not what was there 20 years ago.

wanabeimagineer

Does anyone know of any website or anything that would have older pictures of Seaworld (or even an old park map)? I would love to see this stuff as I've been going to Seaworld since I was really young and it really has changed alot, specifically in the last 5 years or so.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom