News January 2020 Walt Disney World Refurbishments

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickys

Premium Member
So if Test Track is due to re-open Feb 26th, then Spaceship Earth will presumably be closing a few days later?

Wonder when the actual closing date will be announced.

KevinPage

I’d be a fan of them destroying the Test Track design studio and post studio “merge” and instead let me clean garbage cans. That is a far less painful alternative 🤩

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I feel like the attraction will remain IP-less so long as Disney has a sponsor paying them for the space. Chevy seems to keep hanging on there.

No Name

While many entities no longer see the value in theme park sponsorships, car companies still like the physical presence. GM made a deal with Shanghai to sponsor Tron recently and show no signs of pulling out in 2027, when I believe their Test Track sponsorship contract is up for renewal. When that time comes, the ride is likely to see some changes, hopefully all for the better this time.

But that’s a long way away.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
I feel like the attraction will remain IP-less so long as Disney has a sponsor paying them for the space. Chevy seems to keep hanging on there.
While many entities no longer see the value in theme park sponsorships, car companies still like the physical presence. GM made a deal with Shanghai to sponsor Tron recently and show no signs of pulling out in 2027, when I believe their Test Track sponsorship contract is up for renewal. When that time comes, the ride is likely to see some changes, hopefully all for the better this time.

But that’s a long way away.

Chevy and GM are IPs.

They just don't happen to be Disney IPs from a famous movie, but they're still IPs being synergistically hawked at these attractions.

No Name

Chevy and GM are IPs.

They just don't happen to be Disney IPs from a famous movie, but they're still IPs being synergistically hawked at these attractions.

Never said they weren’t.

But I’m not sure I’d call it synergy since the ride doesn’t exactly benefit from the sponsor name. People aren’t flocking to Test Track because they love Chevy. It’s advertisement. And Disney views the two very very differently.

Tom P.

Chevy and GM are IPs.

That's interesting. I guess I never thought about Chevy and GM as intellectual property. Because they produce actual tangible merchandise. They sell a physical product, not creative content. Test Track is just an advertisement to them. I'm not sure there's a lot of true "synergy" there.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
That's interesting. I guess I never thought about Chevy and GM as intellectual property. Because they produce actual tangible merchandise. They sell a physical product, not creative content. Test Track is just an advertisement to them. I'm not sure there's a lot of true "synergy" there.

Never heard of 'The Vault' and VHS tapes?

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom