It's Tough To Be A Love Bug!

Woody13

Original Poster
[color=#0]For those of you that plan to drive down (or up or sideways) to WDW during the next few weeks, be advised that the infamous Love Bugs are out now. Driving down the interstate at 75 MPH + speeds can make a real mess out of the front of your car. There is a way to lessen the mess and avoid damage to your paint. [/color]

Apply several coats of a high quality auto wax (such as Zymöl) to the front bumpers, hood, headlight glass, forward facing part of side-view mirrors and the roof of your vehicle. If you make several applications of wax to these areas, the bug guts will be much easier to clean off. If you can find a gas station with a water hose, your cleaning will be easy. Just make sure you bring a soft scrubber sponge and the bug mess will come off easily. It's important to remove the bug guts ASAP, otherwise the mess tends to harden and it becomes more difficult to remove.

Unfortunately, you can't always find a water hose when you need one. So, that's when plan B comes into effect. I always keep a spray bottle of Meguiar's Quik Detailer in the trunk. You can spray this stuff on the bug guts and let it sit for a minute, then use the soft scrubber sponge to clean up the residue. Just be sure to clean your sponge out with water when you're done.

WDWKat26

I was driving home from school the other day and had 4 hit my windshield in 5 minutes, I was royally PO'd especially since I just washed my car a little while ago. Now that it's lovebug season again i'm gonna have to wash my car like twice a week! :(

Woody13

Original Poster
SpongeScott said:
and love bug remnants can eat the paint off your car too.
Yes indeed Scott those insect remains can ruin your paint and that's part of the reason why I was inspired to create this thread. The other reason is that today I stopped by the grocery store to pick up a few supplies just in case Rita takes a more easterly path. I noticed a car in the parking lot that was covered with bug guts from top to bottom. The radiator was clogged up with insect remnants too. The windshield was "blacked out" with bug guts as were the headlights.

After getting my supplies, I left the store and went to my car. I noticed that the driver of the "bug-mobile" had just gotten into her car. I was curious to see how she could drive that car with all the bug guts on the windshield. She got into the car and rolled down her window and stuck her head out just like a train engineer! She then drove off down the highway with her head still stuck out the window and numerous bugs hitting in her hair, forehead and teeth.

PixyDust

Our guys that have been in Mississippi and Louisiana the past several weeks restoring power have been sending us pictures of the Love Bugs. They are so thick, it is just unreal. We've been cracking up because they even fly around "together". Glad we don't have them up here!!! The pictures are plenty thank you!

Yoop33

I still have bugs on the front of my Expedition from the last trip to Disney
(I don't think they sell a better target for bugs)

maharet97a

Now love bugs are one thing I don't miss about living back in the south. I know there were some places that used to sell special washer fluid and other removal products to help with them. Granted they probably didn't do a better job than the wax, but just a heads up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom