Trip Report It's been so long... A belated September 2017 TR

With our April trip delayed, and needing a bit of escape, I figured I would post a belated report of our daughter C's first trip back in 2017!

First a little background - I grew up going to Disney every other, if not every, year with my family. While my folks have tons of photo albums filled, I've got one photo from back in the early 90s when characters themed to the countries used to wander WS.

IMG_5712.JPG

When I was in HS, we rather abruptly stopped, due to my sister graduating college, me heading off to college, and also being in the post-9/11 world (being in NY it affected my parents rather strongly). I never really thought I was too old for Disney, but just never really thought of going back.

Flash forward 14 years later, and a co-worker of mine went multiple times a year, and we started talking about it during off times. This peaked my interest and I started doing more and more research, and when I found out kids under 3 were free, and that the free dining promotion was coming up, I knew we had to book. After some waffling with dates, we booked for 9/20 - 9/27, at All Star Music!

MK_TOMBRDG1_20170922_405011853931.jpg

As for the title - it not only speaks to this being such a delayed report and how long I went without a trip before this, but in the case there are any other Hoyas out there, speaks to mine and K's college fight song!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Glad your C likes It’s a Small World - took my C until she was a teenager to finally admit (on our recent trip) that she actually likes it but was also liking giving me grief about it...

slipperalwaysfits

Coming up - a ride on one of my personal favorites! But would C join team Dad, or team Mom and find it annoying?
Maybe K only finds it annoying if she has to go on it so many times in a row? Or is it just the song that gets stuck in her head?

I'm not ashamed to admit I was wondering how they turned a mirror into a door.

C was seriously asking how it was now snowing outside!

DISNEY MAGIC, TO BOTH OF THE ABOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :geek: :jawdrop::bookworm:

Too bad you had to cancel your trip for this year. But at least the little one will be old enough to enjoy it when you do go back next year and C will really have fun!

Spash007

Original Poster
Glad your C likes It’s a Small World - took my C until she was a teenager to finally admit (on our recent trip) that she actually likes it but was also liking giving me grief about it...

Haha, I know the day will come that she says she doesn't like it. And no matter how many times I tell her she used to, I know I will probably get an eye roll. I just hope to hold off on that day as long as possible!

Maybe K only finds it annoying if she has to go on it so many times in a row? Or is it just the song that gets stuck in her head?

DISNEY MAGIC, TO BOTH OF THE ABOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :geek: :jawdrop::bookworm:

Too bad you had to cancel your trip for this year. But at least the little one will be old enough to enjoy it when you do go back next year and C will really have fun!

So we tend to only go on it once a trip. She got stuck on it once when she was in high school, so I think she has PTSD lol. I had gotten stuck on Figment once, so I understand her feelings. Thats what I still think with the mirror - you can't see the lines in the wall where the door comes from!

Yeah, a slight positive is that we were hoping L would be walking by then to walk up to Mickey, but seems like even if he is, he probably would still need a bit of support

Songbird76

First, no, traveling never goes smoothly. At least in my experience. Some trips are easier than others.
2nd, I still think you are an awesome dad! The Philharmagic is amazing and what one kid loves another is terrified of. My son loved that at 2.5, though he hated wearing the 3d glasses and kept taking them off. And he had to be taken out of It's Tough to be a Bug, screaming, when he was 8 and there are 4 year olds who think it's hilarious. You just never know until you try.
3rd, My kids are 12 and almost 14 and both still love IASW, so the day may not come when C says she doesn't like it. I'm 43 and still love it. I think there's a nostalgia component to it.

Following along now!

Spash007

Original Poster
First, no, traveling never goes smoothly. At least in my experience. Some trips are easier than others.
2nd, I still think you are an awesome dad! The Philharmagic is amazing and what one kid loves another is terrified of. My son loved that at 2.5, though he hated wearing the 3d glasses and kept taking them off. And he had to be taken out of It's Tough to be a Bug, screaming, when he was 8 and there are 4 year olds who think it's hilarious. You just never know until you try.
3rd, My kids are 12 and almost 14 and both still love IASW, so the day may not come when C says she doesn't like it. I'm 43 and still love it. I think there's a nostalgia component to it.

Following along now!

The other thing I realized after the fact is that I think C has an issue with the 3D glasses. I have a hard time seeing with them, and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the astigmatisms I have in both eyes. I'm wondering if C has the same (she overall has great vision though so we haven't been to an eye doctor yet), so seeing blurry images in the dark, with the loud noises probably could be pretty scary

Spash007

Original Poster
Day 2 Cont.

Wow it's been a week since I last updated. Sorry about that - some days seem to be easier than others, but with balancing work, kids at home and we figured with all of us home now we would foster a dog (who is cute, but 1 year old so high energy) lately time has been rough. I may or may not be currently on a conference call that I really don't need to be, so why not use this time now to update!

When I left off, we were finishing up at BoG. We stopped for a few nice pictures on the way out.

IMG_3370.jpg

As well as some silly ones.

IMG_3371.jpg

With full tummies, tiredness hitting us, and the heat ramping up, we decided to head out for a pool break. But first, stopping for a castle picture.

MK_FNTSYBRG_20170922_405020393908.jpg

Although the castle isn't straight on, I really like this spot since no one is behind us.

I'm pretty sure C slept on the bus, so at least she got a short nap in. When we got back to ASM, we quickly changed and headed down to the pool. I believe we took turns getting ready so C could get some extra time in the pool. I think we may have tried to get her to nap in the room, but that clearly wasn't going to happen.

After showering and getting dressed, we headed to DS for dinner.

IMG_2290.jpg

This was one meal we were really looking forward to. We sat in the main dining room, and overall really liked the atmosphere and had a great server.

IMG_3380.jpg

For our meals, K got the fried chicken which she loved.

IMG_2287.jpg

I had Steak with pickled onions, which I don't believe is on the menu anymore. I liked it, but it wasn't nearly as good as the fried chicken. My desire to not order two of the same thing backfired here.

IMG_2289.jpg

C had Mac and Cheese, which I think she liked. To be honest though, C was a stinker during this meal. The travel, early morning the day before and short nap seems to have really gotten to her. The good thing is when she misbehaves, she isn't disruptive. More just wanting to use the restroom every 5 minutes, not eating, not sitting still etc.

K and I each had drinks (I think I had a sweet tea moonshine, not sure about K. But one of the many restroom breaks, our waiter came over with an "extra' watermelon Moonshine that he had made. We're pretty sure he could see we were stressed, and I will say that was our favorite drink we had - yummy and strong!

IMG_2286.jpg

For dessert, we split the Hummingbird Cake which was very good. And I think we're actually going to attempt to make for our dessert on Easter!

IMG_3390.jpg

After we finished up, we walked around DS a bit. C fell asleep in the stroller, so we were able to take our time. I know we went to World of Disney (before the remodel), The Christmas shop, the kitchen store, and a few more places. C woke up before we made it to the Lego store, so we looked around in there too.

IMG_2294.jpg

At about 8, we called it a night and headed back to ASM and quickly fell asleep!

k8einwdw

After we finished up, we walked around DS a bit. C fell asleep in the stroller, so we were able to take our time. I know we went to World of Disney (before the remodel), The Christmas shop, the kitchen store, and a few more places. C woke up before we made it to the Lego store, so we looked around in there too.

IMG_2294.jpg

At about 8, we called it a night and headed back to ASM and quickly fell asleep!
Awww, I miss old World of Disney! 😢

slipperalwaysfits

but with balancing work, kids at home and we figured with all of us home now we would foster a dog (who is cute, but 1 year old so high energy) lately time has been rough

YOU ARE AMBITIOUS!!

K and I each had drinks (I think I had a sweet tea moonshine, not sure about K. But one of the many restroom breaks, our waiter came over with an "extra' watermelon Moonshine that he had made. We're pretty sure he could see we were stressed, and I will say that was our favorite drink we had - yummy and strong!

That pink drink was the first thing I was eyeing!! That is so sweet that the waiter could see the stress of being with a little one! Those C sure looks happy with that cake!! :geek: :geek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom