All things Magic Mountain

Hattieboxghost110

I keep hearing rumors that MM will get a GINORMOUS roller coaster in 2019. I'm pretty excited if this is true.

Honestly, I think 2018 will be a turning point for the park. Why?

1. We have Neil Thurman as the new park president.
2. Have transitioned to a 365 daily operating schedule to join the ranks of other SO CAL theme parks and will eventually bring heavy investment.
3. New memberships being created to attract greater audience/revenue.
4. LOTS of new renovations/refurbishments that will upgrade the park such as Jet Stream, Sandblasters, Bumper Cars, Tidal Wave, Removal of Monorail, Retheming Colussus County Fair Area, New Marquee for Samurai Summit, etc.
5. New World-Breaking Flat Ride in CRAZANITY that will add variety to the ride lineup.
6. Possible/Likely Announcement this fall about GINORMOUS roller coaster and Cyclone Bay refurb for 2019.

Something is happening to this park and it is good.

Phroobar

Original Poster
I keep hearing rumors that MM will get a GINORMOUS roller coaster in 2019. I'm pretty excited if this is true.

Honestly, I think 2018 will be a turning point for the park. Why?

1. We have Neil Thurman as the new park president.
2. Have transitioned to a 365 daily operating schedule to join the ranks of other SO CAL theme parks and will eventually bring heavy investment.
3. New memberships being created to attract greater audience/revenue.
4. LOTS of new renovations/refurbishments that will upgrade the park such as Jet Stream, Sandblasters, Bumper Cars, Tidal Wave, Removal of Monorail, Retheming Colussus County Fair Area, New Marquee for Samurai Summit, etc.
5. New World-Breaking Flat Ride in CRAZANITY that will add variety to the ride lineup.
6. Possible/Likely Announcement this fall about GINORMOUS roller coaster and Cyclone Bay refurb for 2019.

Something is happening to this park and it is good.
Maybe that area outside the park is for this huge coaster? If so to quote the President, the thing will be "Huuuggge!" That will be the first ever theme park expansion for the park.

I too don't like the wraps on the coaster cars. Currently Magic Mountain doesn't have advertising on the cars. But then that kind of behavior isn't unique to Six Flags. Disney does it all the time with Monorails and buses. The difference there is it's Disney's own advertising on the monorail vs a third party for Six Flags.

Let's face it Disney uses the parks for advertising just as much if not more than others. It is just as "in your face" as Six Flags / Universal does but you don't notice it as much since it's Disney IPs being advertised. Whole restaurants (Beauty & the Beast) and lands (Star Wars take over of Tomorrowland) taken over for advertisements. Just because it's not M&Ms or Takies doesn't make it acceptable.

Rich T

I too don't like the wraps on the coaster cars. Currently Magic Mountain doesn't have advertising on the cars. But then that kind of behavior isn't unique to Six Flags. Disney does it all the time with Monorails and buses. The difference there is it's Disney's own advertising on the monorail vs a third party for Six Flags.

Let's face it Disney uses the parks for advertising just as much if not more than others. It is just as "in your face" as Six Flags / Universal does but you don't notice it as much since it's Disney IPs being advertised. Whole restaurants (Beauty & the Beast) and lands (Star Wars take over of Tomorrowland) taken over for advertisements. Just because it's not M&Ms or Takies doesn't make it acceptable.

I hate the wraps on the monorails, too (except the Cars Land faces--that was cute).

But...Phruby, I gotta disagree with you. There's a huge difference between going to Disneyland and seeing a restaurant themed to a Disney property (it's part of the reason we go to Disney parks in the first place) and seeing a hair product billboard on the side of a roller coaster (this was at SFDK). SFDK also had credit card ads being *broadcast* over their park sound system.

If Magic Mountain took down all their current ad signage and replaced them with cool, artistically awesome posters for their own rides, I wouldn't only just stop complaining, I'd actually go to the shops to see if I could buy a Twisted Colossus poster. Huge difference. You're saying that if Disneyland had billboards for Pampers and Mastercard in Fantasyland, it would be no more objectionable than opening Star Wars attractions in Tomorrowland??? What the hey?

Last edited:

Hattieboxghost110

Maybe that area outside the park is for this huge coaster? If so to quote the President, the thing will be "Huuuggge!" That will be the first ever theme park expansion for the park.

What area are you referring to? Is it the one by Apocalypse?

Last I heard is that it's purely a housing development. Which I think is a stupid place to build a subdivision. I'm pretty mad that the LA board of supervisors got bought off by developers to build a MASSIVE new development when there is already so much urban sprawl, congestion, & traffic in LA County.

Santa Clarita/Northern LA County was great because it had resisted this overdevelopment. Now that's gone. I'm actually thinking about getting into land conservation in California due to gross abuses such as this one. Too many people, too much greed here and I think action needs to be taken.

But that's neither here nor there.

Phroobar

Original Poster
What area are you referring to? Is it the one by Apocalypse?

Last I heard is that it's purely a housing development. Which I think is a stupid place to build a subdivision. I'm pretty mad that the LA board of supervisors got bought off by developers to build a MASSIVE new development when there is already so much urban sprawl, congestion, & traffic in LA County.

Santa Clarita/Northern LA County was great because it had resisted this overdevelopment. Now that's gone. I'm actually thinking about getting into land conservation in California due to gross abuses such as this one. Too many people, too much greed here and I think action needs to be taken.

But that's neither here nor there.
That must be it. All of those houses get to look at back side of Apocalypse, Riddlers Revenge and the backside of the park from their backyards. It's really just on the other side drainage / road channel on the backside. There isn't even houses near this area. It's pretty much the area that was on fire a few months ago.

Phroobar

Original Poster
I hate the wraps on the monorails, too (except the Cars Land faces--that was cute).

But...Phruby, I gotta disagree with you. There's a huge difference between going to Disneyland and seeing a restaurant themed to a Disney property (it's part of the reason we go to Disney parks in the first place) and seeing a hair product billboard on the side of a roller coaster (this was at SFDK). SFDK also had credit card ads being *broadcast* over their park sound system.

If Magic Mountain took down all their current ad signage and replaced them with cool, artistically awesome posters for their own rides, I wouldn't only just stop complaining, I'd actually go to the shops to see if I could buy a Twisted Colossus poster. Huge difference. You're saying that if Disneyland had billboards for Pampers and Mastercard in Fantasyland, it would be no more objectionable than opening Star Wars attractions in Tomorrowland??? What the hey?
If Six Flags had an in house IP, they would be advertising it the same as Disney does. Disney doesn't do third parties outside of ride sponsors. Universal is kind of half and half. You get advertisements for their IPs AND third parties. I see that as much worst than Disney or Six Flags. Besides, the advertisements at MM are becoming much rarer now. That is one of those things that is disappearing over the last few years. The M&Ms stairs are still there but the ad isn't very well taken care of anymore.

Rich T

If Six Flags had an in house IP, they would be advertising it the same as Disney does. Disney doesn't do third parties outside of ride sponsors. Universal is kind of half and half. You get advertisements for their IPs AND third parties. I see that as much worst than Disney or Six Flags. Besides, the advertisements at MM are becoming much rarer now. That is one of those things that is disappearing over the last few years. The M&Ms stairs are still there but the ad isn't very well taken care of anymore.
That's why I don't like Universal either.
I wouldn't even mind if Six Flags filled their park with ads for other Six Flags parks. What I hate about that aspect of the company is that, to me, their parks aren't an escape at all. The outside world's advertising barage, with all it's crassness and narcissism, follows you right into Six Flags. There's almost no separation at all from the "real" world. That's their current style. I guess a lot of people are fine with it. I'm not.

Just as an example of how it can be done, the Santa Cruz Boardwalk is a free-entry classic amusement park with no marketable in-house IPs, and they keep any on-site ads and promos (and there are very few) tasteful and unobtrusive. Their theme is what they are: "Classic Seaside Amusement Park" and they work hard to make it a clean, safe, and classy escape from everyday cares. You actually feel like you've entered another world there.

I'm just saying I'm sure Magic Mountain--and all Six Flags parks--could be a lot more pleasant, starting with re-thinking their approach to selling ad space. Maybe I'm just a lone voice--I don't go to movies much anymore because of the ad onslaught--but, then again, maybe I'm a Canary in a Coal Mine.

Hattieboxghost110

I'm just saying I'm sure Magic Mountain--and all Six Flags parks--could be a lot more pleasant, starting with re-thinking their approach to selling ad space. Maybe I'm just a lone voice--I don't go to movies much anymore because of the ad onslaught--but, then again, maybe I'm a Canary in a Coal Mine.

I agree that I don't like the ads on the coaster trains themselves. It looks suuuuuper tacky.

That being said, I find Magic Mountain to be a pleasant experience overall. It's funny to me that many people, especially on these boards, still talk about MM as being filled with gangs, run-down. filthy, terrible park.

Here is my experience. I drive into the parking lot and notice the BEAUTIFUL SKYLINE of roller coasters and rides. Undoubtedly, one of the most impressive coaster skylines in America. I go through metal detectors and security which is now par for the course on ALL MAJOR THEME PARKS. It makes me feel pretty safe.

I buy a flash pass, which is a great value IMO. (I usually go only once a year). I NEVER wait in line unless I want to ride in front and spend my day actually RIDING RIDES and stuffing my face. My average ride count when I go is 20 RIDES IN 1 DAY or more.

I eat at a SIT-DOWN, FULL SERVICE restaurant that actually has GOOD FOOD, for a theme park. (Full Throttle Sports Bar)

I walk around and enjoy the newly refurbished areas of DC, Steampunk District, Full Throttle Plaza, & Metropolis. I love the very SCENIC views & feeling of RIDING IN THE TREES I get on Ninja, Goldrusher, Revolution, Tatsu, etc.

My favorite view of the park is on the bridge going to X2. It's GORGEOUS!

Most importantly, I get on some of the most KICKASS COASTERS on the planet, including my personal favorites, X2 & TWISTED COLUSSUS.

At the end of the my day, I ALWAYS feel like I got BANG FOR MY BUCK.

SFMM still has a lot of work to do, but it's definitely going in the RIGHT DIRECTION!

Rich T

I agree that I don't like the ads on the coaster trains themselves. It looks suuuuuper tacky.

That being said, I find Magic Mountain to be a pleasant experience overall. It's funny to me that many people, especially on these boards, still talk about MM as being filled with gangs, run-down. filthy, terrible park.

Here is my experience. I drive into the parking lot and notice the BEAUTIFUL SKYLINE of roller coasters and rides. Undoubtedly, one of the most impressive coaster skylines in America. I go through metal detectors and security which is now par for the course on ALL MAJOR THEME PARKS. It makes me feel pretty safe.

I buy a flash pass, which is a great value IMO. (I usually go only once a year). I NEVER wait in line unless I want to ride in front and spend my day actually RIDING RIDES and stuffing my face. My average ride count when I go is 20 RIDES IN 1 DAY or more.

I eat at a SIT-DOWN, FULL SERVICE restaurant that actually has GOOD FOOD, for a theme park. (Full Throttle Sports Bar)

I walk around and enjoy the newly refurbished areas of DC, Steampunk District, Full Throttle Plaza, & Metropolis. I love the very SCENIC views & feeling of RIDING IN THE TREES I get on Ninja, Goldrusher, Revolution, Tatsu, etc.

My favorite view of the park is on the bridge going to X2. It's GORGEOUS!

Most importantly, I get on some of the most KICKASS COASTERS on the planet, including my personal favorites, X2 & TWISTED COLUSSUS.

At the end of the my day, I ALWAYS feel like I got BANG FOR MY BUCK.

SFMM still has a lot of work to do, but it's definitely going in the RIGHT DIRECTION!
Clearly, you and Phruby are exactly the demographic SFMM is designed for. :) And that's awesome. I just have to face facts: I'm getting older and SFMM has practically nothing for me or anyone else who just isn't that much into roller coasters anymore.

...I still say you'd like the park even more without the cruddy ads... :D

Phroobar

Original Poster
Clearly, you and Phruby are exactly the demographic SFMM is designed for. :) And that's awesome. I just have to face facts: I'm getting older and SFMM has practically nothing for me or anyone else who just isn't that much into roller coasters anymore.

...I still say you'd like the park even more without the cruddy ads... :D
I just have kids that have outgrown Disneyland and want something more thrilling. I will do most of them during the day but sometimes just wait at the exit.

I'm in Texas right now. How's Six Flags here?
Never been there. Have you visited the Alamo's basement?

Last edited:

Phroobar

Original Poster
There's no basement in the Alamo!
64ae786d4eb06969ee9cbf3821cdc339.jpg

Rich T

I'm in Texas right now. How's Six Flags here?
Even though I have some issues with the company's current business model (ads, ads, ads), I'd definitely visit SFOT for the historic element. It's the first Six Flags park, and set the template nearly all subsequent American Non-Disney theme parks followed.

It's got the first Arrow Log Flume, the first (and many say the best) Arrow runaway train, the Oil Derrick Tower...
It's got a classic Schwarzkopf looper, a classic 80's out and back wooden coaster, and the amazing Texas Giant hybrid coaster.

Plus, it's a shrine for all Banana Splits fans, as the park was featured in many of their music videos as well as Season One's opening credits (Season Two switched to King's Island). I only mention this because, pre-internet, this show provided many kids' first look at a Non-Disney theme park. I was spellbound. :D
FleegleNo.jpg

Fleegle being an a-- on the skyride.

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/01/22/7-questions-with-six-flags-magic-mountains-new-president/

>>
Q: As the new park president of Six Flags Magic Mountain, what are some of the goals you hope to accomplish in the next year?

A: My passion really is about the team member experience and what it’s like to work here. Every single team member that interacts with our guests makes a huge impact on the guest experience. We want to make sure that experience the team member is having is just as good as the experience that we’re delivering to the guests.

As we go into 365 days of operation it’s really important that we deliver on a great guest experience over and over again.

Obviously, we’ll continue to drive the thrill experience here at the park as our longterm planning.

And obviously, for us, it’s really about driving tourism to Southern California and certainly to Magic Mountain.<<

Phroobar

Original Poster
Every time I get home from MM I get a survey about my guest experience. One of the questions they always ask is about park employees. Did anyone park employee go out of their way to make your day great? I typically say no because they do their jobs but don't typically interact with people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom