Is your resort rate guaranteed once you book?

Karenb64

Original Poster
For the most part, we start by booking a "room only" reservation about a year out from out trip. In the past I know we have received a letter sometime after the the first of the year letting us know our rate has increased. So I'm wondering if anyone knows what the policy is for rate increases once you have booked and whether it makes a difference if you book "room only" or a package. Thanks for the help!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
For the most part yes. However, if you book way in advance (300-499 days out) you are typically charged holiday rate and it is adjusted down from there once the actual rates are released.

Karenb64

Original Poster
For the most part yes. However, if you book way in advance (300-499 days out) you are typically charged holiday rate and it is adjusted down from there once the actual rates are released.
Does it make a difference if you book "room only" or book a package. I know that on every trip when we've booked in one year for travel the next and they've had a rate increase, we have gotten a letter informing us our nightly rate went up. I would then have to call in and give them more money to cover the increased deposit cost - the equivilent of one nights stay when it is "room only". I wonder if they have changed their policy on this and no longer increase your rate once you've booked regardless of how it is set up.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Does it make a difference if you book "room only" or book a package. I know that on every trip when we've booked in one year for travel the next and they've had a rate increase, we have gotten a letter informing us our nightly rate went up. I would then have to call in and give them more money to cover the increased deposit cost - the equivilent of one nights stay when it is "room only". I wonder if they have changed their policy on this and no longer increase your rate once you've booked regardless of how it is set up.
Yes. It can make a difference.

In the past, policy had been to calculate you room only rate using current holiday rates if you were booking past the time when rates had been officially released. Since the holiday rate applies to only a few weeks a year most would see a decrease in the price once prices were officially released. However, if your reservation was during a period that is considered holiday, then your price could conceivably go up.

A package reservation will lock you into a price, but they can not be booked as far in advance as a room only. You also can not switch one into the other as a vacation package and a room only reservation are technically handled by 2 separate arms of the company.

Karenb64

Original Poster
Yes. It can make a difference.

In the past, policy had been to calculate you room only rate using current holiday rates if you were booking past the time when rates had been officially released. Since the holiday rate applies to only a few weeks a year most would see a decrease in the price once prices were officially released. However, if your reservation was during a period that is considered holiday, then your price could conceivably go up.

A package reservation will lock you into a price, but they can not be booked as far in advance as a room only. You also can not switch one into the other as a vacation package and a room only reservation are technically handled by 2 separate arms of the company.
Thank you for the info. I'm helping a friend right now plan a trip and she asked about guaranteeing a rate and it got me thinking of how you might do that. Also, I know technically you can't roll a "room only" into a package, but we've always been fortunate when a deal like free dining has come up to get in on the deal by cancelling and rebooking. When we do this we always call and do it over the phone to make sure there are rooms available connected to the deal. Have you or anyone else ever heard of someone not being able to do this because I give people this tip all the time.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thank you for the info. I'm helping a friend right now plan a trip and she asked about guaranteeing a rate and it got me thinking of how you might do that. Also, I know technically you can't roll a "room only" into a package, but we've always been fortunate when a deal like free dining has come up to get in on the deal by cancelling and rebooking. When we do this we always call and do it over the phone to make sure there are rooms available connected to the deal. Have you or anyone else ever heard of someone not being able to do this because I give people this tip all the time.
Yes. Having a room booked in no way guarantees you that you can switch that same room to a promotion. If it does anything, it will actually reduce the chances of a promotion being available.

Disney releases promotions based on projected booking rates. If they are meeting their numbers they don't release a promotion. If they are coming in shy, they will. That room you book in advance very well might be the one that blacks out that particular resort from a promotion.

This will typically happen at the more popular resorts. For instance, Port Orleans French Quarter is one of the most popular resorts on property. It is frequently blacked out or will have very limited availability when promotions come out.

Poofiesdream

There are only so many rooms reserved for promotions. Even if you have a room already booked there has to be a room available in the promotion for you to switch. They cancel your room and book you in a room under the promotion. Different room categories. I have tryed to do this and couldn't because there was no rooms available on the dates I was going with the promotion.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.

We did exactly this during our summer trip while riding a bus from MK to HS when the free dining was announced. We changed our entire reservation from the AoA to BW from room only to package.

LucyK

@Master Yoda is there any truth to the rumour that beginning January 1st your package prices is not guaranteed and if there are any increases before you make the final payment your package price will go up?

LucyK

What would make the price increase?
The annual ticket price increase for one and for people like me, who books months in advance, everything. My balance must be paid on September 26th, 2014 and package prices usually are released around July so I might pay 2015 prices for my 2014 package.

DisneyJoe

The annual ticket price increase for one and for people like me, who books months in advance, everything. My balance must be paid on September 26th, 2014 and package prices usually are released around July so I might pay 2015 prices for my 2014 package.
Your ticket prices may increase, but from my experience, rack room rates are locked in on a year to year basis.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom