Is WDW ever NOT crowded?

Gospel Bill

Here's something I've been wondering. Have crowds been getting progressively getting bigger and bigger at WDW in the last few years?

Nov 04:
I went for the first time in a long time to WDW in late Nov 04. I was really surprised at how many ppl were there. We didn't have to wait to long for any rides due to arriving early and using switch passes because of our kids but the overall traffic in the park just seemed heavy to me. Walking around Epcot was really difficult. In the end I wrote it off to the fact that we were there during Vets Day and Soap Weekend and the Food & Wine Festival.

Dec 05:
We in arrived in the second full week of Dec expecting an "empty" park. According to touringplans.com the week we were visiting was to be the least crowded week of any week of the year but much to my surprise the crowds were almost as big as Nov of the year before. I couldn't figure it out.

May 10 - 16, 2006:
I arrive expecting a fairly full park and I was right. Using a smart touring schedule and arriving early allowed us to ride what we wanted and have a good time. Surprisingly though, I found May to be just a little more crowded than early Dec.

January 07:
I've always been told that January is the "best" time to go to WDW, I'll find out in six months but to be honest, I'm not expecting it to be much different.

So what's the deal? Has it always been like this or are the parks getting more and more crowded every year? I guess this also depends on one's own definition of crowded, but to me when I can easily reach out and touch someone I don't know everytime I move through the park, that is what I would call crowded.

Maybe I'm searching for a myth, or maybe what I'm looking for doesn't exist any longer. You tell me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad and I'll still go and have the time of my life, but for once I'd love to have the parks "all to myself." I just want to know how realistic that is.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yes, the crowds have been getting bigger. After 9-11 attendance dropped like a stone but attendance is now past pre 9-11 numbers. Most of the WDW sites are using post 9-11 attendance numbers which are no longer relevant. Attendance numbers use to have big peaks and valleys depending on the time of year. The peaks are still there but the valleys have filled in. To sum up WDW will always be busy.

Upvote 0

Teenchy

I have been going in September for several years now and its never been crowded. We usually never wait more than 15 min. for any ride. Maybe a little longer if its a new ride, i.e. Soarin, etc.

There are lots of statistics out there that will show you the least crowded times.

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
January is your best bet of any.

Late August, Sept, October, Early Dec, and Jan were all the known "slow" periods.

August looks to really busy this year, and probably September as well, October was busy last year, and the only two unknown are early December and January. From the looks of things, early December will be quieter, but still busy. Janaury is probably going to be fairly slow.

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

"Crowded" is a relative term in Disney terms -- the parks are never "empty" if that is what you mean. I go several times a year. One trip is always the third week in September. In the past 10 years it has never been crowded during that week. The three week period after school resumes every year is September is the only time I have ever seen the parks "not crowded" - although there are always many people there. Basically, that is a time of year that, as school starts, parents are not that likely to pull their kids out of school (although there are always parents who apparently DO pull their kids out of school during that time) Just not so many.

Upvote 0

ilovepluto23

I know a TON of people in the "Katrina" area here (LA, MS) have been going to WDW since the hurricane hit. People just need to get away from this horrible mess here, and what better place than WDW?!
Everyone had the same idea. And WDW from this area is only a day's drive.

When I went this year during Mardi Gras (February 24th-March 1st) it was fairly crowded compared to 2004 Mardi Gras which was around the same time...I think the 24th was Mardi Gras day actually. 2004 I could walk right on every ride...2006 the lines were MUCH longer. I think the entire state of Louisiana was there though :lol: .

So I think it all depends on why people are going to WDW, what's going on in their lives (that makes them want that vacation), finances, time off from work, etc. Every year is a little different from the next b/c of different circumstances.

But yes, WDW seems like it is generally busy at all times now.

Upvote 0

Boray

I hope WDW will always be "busy", but not packed. (It's a business - they need to be busy to fund more attractions, etc...)

Anyway, we always go at the end of October and rarely wait more than 20 minutes for even the most popular of attractions. I love that time of year because it isn't too hot, like the summer months tend to be. It will probably always be less busy, simply because of where it lands in the year. (ie: close to the beginning of the school year.)

Upvote 0

KrazyKowboy

good times

We go to WDW the week after Thanksgiving and find the crowds sparse to moderate. Most wait times hardly ever exceeded 20 - 30 minutes.

It pays to plan your days ahead and avoid the parks that offer extra magic hours like the plague. You'll make up for the shorter hours with shorter lines and lighter crowds.

Hit the star attractions early or during peak meal periods and just before park closing. This strategy has worked well for our family.

I admit that the crowds this past year (Nov.-Dec. 2005) seemed to be a bit heavier than in other years recent past.

Upvote 0

tecowdw

I've gone many different times during the year. Overall, I do feel it is busier than in the past. However, mid to late September has always proved to be the least crowded in my experience. January can be sparse also, especially if a cold spell occurs. I can remember Epcot feeling deserted one cold January day a year or so ago. In fact, it was weird because cast members were just standing around begging for some interaction with people that walked by. That's too light for me ~ it detracts some of the experience. October and early December are not really what I consider uncrowded anymore with the special events Disney does.

I agree with the prior post that "not crowded" is a relative term. Disney parks always have crowds of some sort. Your best bet for lower crowd levels is to stay away from the holidays and "normal" busy time, such as summer, spring break, etc.

On the other hand, ANYTIME is a great time to go to Walt Disney World!!
:sohappy:

Upvote 0

erinmarie

You are going during a perfect time. My husband and I went during the first week in January a couple years ago, and it was pretty empty. It was great! Also, we usually go the first week in December, and it's not too bad. January is better, but we like to see the decorations and go to the Very Merry Christmas Party. Enjoy yourself!:king:

Upvote 0

coasterphil

I remember we took a trip the first week of december of 2002, and the parks were completely empty, the longest we ever had to wait for something was 10 minutes. Its too bad that it won't be like that again, but at least now Disney will have more money to pour back into the parks.

Upvote 0

dr_teeth90210

coasterphil said:
I remember we took a trip the first week of december of 2002, and the parks were completely empty, the longest we ever had to wait for something was 10 minutes. Its too bad that it won't be like that again, but at least now Disney will have more money to pour back into the parks.

Two weeks prior to Christmas is a great time to avoid crowds and the heat.

The slowest time I've seen at Disney was an E-ride night two weeks after September 11th.

Upvote 0

scottnj1966

Last two years has been really different here at WDW. Combination of no one taking vacations 01 and 02, then the last two years of some really good Disney promotions have brought many people here.
We Floridians know when the room rates dont go down for residents here then they are packed, its been like that for two years now.

It will get its slow times again. Fuel costs are hurting everyone and real estate has skyrocketed. Vacations will slow down again. Disney will then want us back.

Gospel Bill said:
Here's something I've been wondering. Have crowds been getting progressively getting bigger and bigger at WDW in the last few years?

Nov 04:
I went for the first time in a long time to WDW in late Nov 04. I was really surprised at how many ppl were there. We didn't have to wait to long for any rides due to arriving early and using switch passes because of our kids but the overall traffic in the park just seemed heavy to me. Walking around Epcot was really difficult. In the end I wrote it off to the fact that we were there during Vets Day and Soap Weekend and the Food & Wine Festival.

Dec 05:
We in arrived in the second full week of Dec expecting an "empty" park. According to touringplans.com the week we were visiting was to be the least crowded week of any week of the year but much to my surprise the crowds were almost as big as Nov of the year before. I couldn't figure it out.

May 10 - 16, 2006:
I arrive expecting a fairly full park and I was right. Using a smart touring schedule and arriving early allowed us to ride what we wanted and have a good time. Surprisingly though, I found May to be just a little more crowded than early Dec.

January 07:
I've always been told that January is the "best" time to go to WDW, I'll find out in six months but to be honest, I'm not expecting it to be much different.

So what's the deal? Has it always been like this or are the parks getting more and more crowded every year? I guess this also depends on one's own definition of crowded, but to me when I can easily reach out and touch someone I don't know everytime I move through the park, that is what I would call crowded.

Maybe I'm searching for a myth, or maybe what I'm looking for doesn't exist any longer. You tell me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad and I'll still go and have the time of my life, but for once I'd love to have the parks "all to myself." I just want to know how realistic that is.

Upvote 0

Astronaut Jones

What are the 11/26 - 12/19 crowds like? It's value season but sometimes that doesn't mean "not crowded." Is there any major increase the closer it gets to Christmas time?

Upvote 0

Tinkerbella16

We like to go the 2nd week of november...its never been too bad, but just right. This year we are arriving on the last day of super soap weekend and it gets pretty crowded for that event, many people will be leaving that day....so it shouldnt be so bad when we arrive. WDW will always be crowded, just not wall to wall like the summer crowds. I think november is the best time to go...not so crowded, but a good crowd, and the weather is nice...doesnt rain that much and the heat isnt bad at all.

Upvote 0

barnum42

Avoid times when schools are out and the crowds will be smaller.

The quietest I've seen it since 911 (I was there a few days after) was in the wake of one of the hurricanes a couple of years ago. It was very quiet.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom