Is this a fastpass+ strategy that will work?

lincolnryan

Original Poster
I have 3 kids (6, 3, 3) and my oldest is likely to want to ride some rides that my younger ones won't want to. So for Space Mountain, I should only get 2 fastpasses for that ride. 1 for me, 1 for my son. Once he rides the ride, then we can do a rider switch he can ride again with my wife. So this would be like receiving 2x the fastpasses? Is that correct?

JohnD

Yes, you can do that. It's no different than getting paper FPs for you and your son, then you hand your paper FP to your son to ride again. Just remember to hand your MB to him so he can go back on the ride.

lincolnryan

Original Poster
Why would I need to hand my MB to him? I thought the rider switch pass covered up to 3 riders? So he uses his on the first ride, I use mine on the first ride, and then I have a rider switch pass that covers the mom/son.

JohnD

Why would I need to hand my MB to him? I thought the rider switch pass covered up to 3 riders? So he uses his on the first ride, I use mine on the first ride, and then I have a rider switch pass that covers the mom/son.

Okay, I think I see what you mean. Without rider switch if, say, the family was waiting outside, then your son would grab the MB for whoever is not riding, say you or your wife, and use that FP+

However, I don't believe rider switch means a free ride. Whoever intends to ride still needs a FP+ to gain entry. But one "hangs back" to watch the kids. You then trade off. I think what you're suggesting is that you, your wife, and your son each have a FP+ for SM. You and your son ride first on your own FP+ and MBs while your wife waits with the younger kids. In theory both you and your son would hang back to watch the kids while your wife rides. But in this instance your son rides in place of your wife. In the spirit of honesty, he could take her MB (primary reason being the on-ride photo). As to whether you get to ride again, I don't know. Perhaps you get to because WDW requires a parent to accompany their child. If so, lucky you.

CAPTAIN HOOK

I've just looked up the definition in The Unofficial Guide but it still defines it in "old money" ie paper Fast Passes. See below -

The “Rider Exchange” (referred to as the “Switch-Off” in The Unofficial Guide) is possibly a less-known time-saving technique amongst the Disney guest population because it is not as widely publicized. However, it is a necessary option for parties that have a person who is unwilling or unable to ride attractions but can’t be left alone while the rest of the group experiences them. Here is another excerpt from The Unofficial Guide to briefly explain:

“To switch off, there must be at least two adults . . . . On most Fastpass attractions . . . . When you tell the cast member that you want to switch off, he or she will issue you a special “rider exchange” Fastpass good for three people. One parent and the non-riding child (or children) will at that point be asked to leave the line. When those riding reunite with the waiting adult, the waiting adult and two other persons from the party can ride using the special Fastpass.”

MrNonacho

Premium Member
I have 3 kids (6, 3, 3) and my oldest is likely to want to ride some rides that my younger ones won't want to. So for Space Mountain, I should only get 2 fastpasses for that ride. 1 for me, 1 for my son. Once he rides the ride, then we can do a rider switch he can ride again with my wife. So this would be like receiving 2x the fastpasses? Is that correct?

That works just fine. @CAPTAIN HOOK has it exactly right. The parent that's NOT riding first should ask the greeter at the front of the attraction for a Rider Switch Pass, which is essentially a Fastpass valid for three people. So, only the people riding FIRST need to book FP+, as the second riders will be using the Rider Switch Pass. It's also not considered "cheating" if a kid wants to go again with the second parent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom