Is the Spaceship Earth screen show even related or a part of the main story?

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
I feel what we see on the screens at Spaceship Earth arrant even related to the story that covers most of the ride and that they did that on purpose. Have you ever noticed that Judi Dench kind of puts a closure to the story before the screen part. Then after that she comes on again and says "lets have some fun creating the future shall we". I almost feel that the story ends before the screens as planned and that the screens are just to fill in the ride down. After the ending statement she says " now lets have some fun creating the future shall we". I feel that the future isn't even a part of the story anymore and the screens are more of a post show to fill in the empty space and keep us occupied on the way down.

DisneyNut2007

All of that empty space used to be filled with actual show scenes that they actively went out of their way to cover up.

I very highly doubt that.

I still say that they were taken out altogether, so don't even try to rip the curtains down. More than likely, they'll expose unsightly nothingness.

ryno1982

I feel what we see on the screens at Spaceship Earth arrant even related to the story that covers most of the ride and that they did that on purpose. Have you ever noticed that Judi Dench kind of puts a closure to the story before the screen part. Then after that she comes on again and says "lets have some fun creating the future shall we". I almost feel that the story ends before the screens as planned and that the screens are just to fill in the ride down. After the ending statement she says " now lets have some fun creating the future shall we". I feel that the future isn't even a part of the story anymore and the screens are more of a post show to fill in the empty space and keep us occupied on the way down.

You're absolutely correct. The screens really have nothing to do with anything up until that point. And Dench's "Let's have some fun" is basically their way of admitting the screens are a joke.

powlessfamily4

I agree - I have never cared for the creating the future screens. It would have been better if they had "recapped" the historical facts we had just viewed... instead we are treated to 1960ish Jetson animation with poor photoshopping of our heads.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
way to boot up a post!

I don't mind the "your vision of the future" ending, because it's very funny if you do a funny picture! :D

Expo_Seeker40

well...the way it was supposed to end was you would answer your questions and on the way down you would see yourself and others in those prisms that are hanging from the ceiling....you would see your future and everyone else's future around you as you "traveled through time" from space back to earth. There would also have been stars and lights to give it a spacey, time dimension theme.

The budget ran out of money, the twinkle curtains were even there! I saw them and talked to CM's about them after SSE just opened and I got to walk down the descent with the lights on thanks to an evac back in 2007.

All that remains are the numerous triangles (many later added on after 2007) and some "new" (as in like 2 years ago) twinkle stars on the ceiling just before your vehicle turns around and you exit the ride.

I have no idea if you would see realistic or bada$$ CGI futures on those prisms, but I have a feeling it was meant to be more serious than the cartoony thing we have now.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
You're absolutely correct. The screens really have nothing to do with anything up until that point. And Dench's "Let's have some fun" is basically their way of admitting the screens are a joke.

When the ride first opened she didn't say "Lets have some fun", but now that I notice that I am ok about the ride, it beats having an outdated ending from 2007.

well...the way it was supposed to end was you would answer your questions and on the way down you would see yourself and others in those prisms that are hanging from the ceiling....you would see your future and everyone else's future around you as you "traveled through time" from space back to earth. There would also have been stars and lights to give it a spacey, time dimension theme.

The budget ran out of money, the twinkle curtains were even there! I saw them and talked to CM's about them after SSE just opened and I got to walk down the descent with the lights on thanks to an evac back in 2007.

All that remains are the numerous triangles (many later added on after 2007) and some "new" (as in like 2 years ago) twinkle stars on the ceiling just before your vehicle turns around and you exit the ride.

I have no idea if you would see realistic or bada$$ CGI futures on those prisms, but I have a feeling it was meant to be more serious than the cartoony thing we have now.

I hope they can finish the prisms someday but the ending looks pretty sharp the way it is and would probably look better if they lowered the contrast of the screens. Unlike the old ending this new ending is good because you see nothing but the prisms and the stars when in Spaceship Earth 3 it looked cheap because you could see all the hardware and the mesh for the fiber optics. This new ending is pretty sharp and easy to maintain where the old ending started to get sloppy and only a third of the lighting effects worked. I wont complain any more about Spaceship Earth, I just want to see them add the city even its between the garage scene and the projection tunnel.

Ralphlaw

I think the screens are fun, and they add excitement for the post-show, especially for younger kids who like to press buttons. Unfortunately, at least half the time we've been on, the photo part didn't work. But you've got to admit, the old webcam and fiberoptic lights weren't very exciting any more on the way down anyway.

Spaceship Earth was originally themed to the history of communication, which makes the future thing, (with commuting, lifestyle, and leisure choices), a bit of a stretch. But that theme has been compromised for several years now. Obviously traveling through time is the new theme, and ending with the future makes sense in that regard. It also fits in with the post-show activities.

Overall, I consider it all an improvement, but I miss the Jeremy Irons narration. Judi Dench, to me, does not have the mysterious voice of someone taking us on a trime voyage. I like her overall, but I can't help thinking of her in the Victorian/Elizabethan roles, and in her modern London character in "As Time Goes By." She sounds too much like a proper English housewife to me. For female voices, I think Kate Winslet, Liv Tyler, Emma Thompson, Whoopi Goldberg,or what's-her-name who played Troi in Star Trek: The Next Generation, might have been better. Even Oprah, for that matter, who is probably the world's most powerful woman in the field of communications and who crusades for educational opportunities. Of course, that may be just me.

pumpkin7

way to boot up a post!

I don't mind the "your vision of the future" ending, because it's very funny if you do a funny picture! :D

epcot.jpg

i was in hysterics at my husbands face because i didn't see him do that.. lol. the time before that, we had our heads next to each other so we came out as kind of a funny clare/james mutant... i had some of james head on my cheek, and he had my forehead on his cheek. fail.

but other than that, i would rather have seen the old scenes they had on the decent than watch that video of our 'future'.
then when you get outside into the main interactive hub, you can't get to do anything or see anything because there are too many people in there already playing on stuff! grrr.

edit; ooo 100th post, woo!

thelookingglass

"Lets have some fun!" = "Ok you ADHD-ridden, reality TV watching zombies, the "boring" history lesson is over, now you get to use your fingers and see a picture of yourself!"

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
Its amazing how all that system can process all those screens. I will love it even more when that version becomes a childhood memory for my kids someday. I feel that Spaceship Earth now resembles World of Motion, Horizons and the original Journey into your Imagination. The narration is kind of spoken and told mike it was on World of Motion as well as some of the music after the renaissance scene. The end feels like the old Journey into Your Imagination finale except amazingly where the ones on the screens and there is a personal screen for every 2 seats. The space scene even you know is telling history Horizons had big scenes like that 2 and the music heading for space sounded very much alike the ominax music.

There are allot of positive changes that happened to Spaceship Earth. Project Tomorrow is the best post shows I have seen since the old Image works and once again fills the whole space. The new landscapes make me feel like I am at Epcot Center again. As much as I miss the old music the new music at the end and in the tunnel the new music is coordinated very nicely from the entrance to the end. The old music, renaissance to the space scene is much better then the old music all though I did like the old tunnel music. The old music had a nice tune but was tacky sounding in my opinion. This music is very detailed and full sounding. It has a full symphony sound where the old music almost sounded like it was recorded on a keyboard and mixed together. Now if they could just upgrade the northern lights scenery.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster

The stars have arrived, I started to notice them in 2010. The the first time i remember seeing them, 3 days after that i saw even more. It would be cool to see some other futures. Ant the northern lights in the space scene would be one of the best parts of the ride if they looked like northern lights.

RonAnnArbor

I think you have to take a step back here, though....the ending of the ride has NOTHING to do with Disney magic, or show, or anything else.

The ending has to do with advertising for Siemens AG and the touchscreen as well as all the postshow computer programs, globe-board, etc...

They give you the kind-of-entertaining "Your Future" as a subtext for the actual touchscreen, the photography equipment, the LED projections in post show, etc.
THat is pretty much all there is to it. EPCOT is entirely built around sponsorship and if someone else ante's up the money to do something more spectacular at an affordable price, I am sure the attraction will change again. Siemens AG's bread and butter is computer and communications technology, and it's about selling you product, instilling branding, and nothing else. Your touching the touchscreen is advertising.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
I think you have to take a step back here, though....the ending of the ride has NOTHING to do with Disney magic, or show, or anything else.

The ending has to do with advertising for Siemens AG and the touchscreen as well as all the postshow computer programs, globe-board, etc...

They give you the kind-of-entertaining "Your Future" as a subtext for the actual touchscreen, the photography equipment, the LED projections in post show, etc.
THat is pretty much all there is to it. EPCOT is entirely built around sponsorship and if someone else ante's up the money to do something more spectacular at an affordable price, I am sure the attraction will change again. Siemens AG's bread and butter is computer and communications technology, and it's about selling you product, instilling branding, and nothing else. Your touching the touchscreen is advertising.

Its a good thing Spaceship Earth has nothing to do with Disney magic or it would be joining The Seas in the pool of complaints along with Grand Fiesta. Siemens definitely didn't produce the music score or have any talent intervention with the ride, maybe they approved it but thats about it. Theres no crying over Horizons in this thread allowed but for example look how Horizons was created, they keep on designing a ride and bringing their ideas to the sponsor until its approved. GE disapproved the ride until Disney designed a ride best suited for them and along with that Disney uses their talent and creativity and what they think would be best.

Siemens needs to advertise their products and they use the Disney talent of the Imagineers to advertise. The imagineers are what make the ride appealing to us. I know very well Spaceship Earth is an advertisement and it always has been. I have been riding it every time I visit Epcot for the past 20 years. Im not trying to prove you wrong... Siemens probably wanted touch screens at the end of the ride and the hardware installed at Project Tomorrow but they arrant imagineers, they use the imagineers to design the artistic parts of the ride for them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom