Is the Mummy Roller coaster comparable to Space Mountain?

OG Runner

Hi Guys,
I am going to Universal in 3 weeks and I never rode on The Mummy before for fear of being sick. I like to try new things and kinda want to see the story/theming of the ride but don't want to deal with feeling sick all day.

I cannot do very intense roller coasters. I can handle smaller, more tame ones like Seven Dwarves and Thunder Mountain at WDW. I also can do Simulator rides like Forbidden Journey and Transformers with no problems.

I did try Space Mountain once at WDW and almost was sick on the ride. I walked out of there regretting having gone on at all and was feeling nauseated the rest of the day. I think the roller coaster itself wasn't too bad but the fact it was in the dark made it worse. I don't want the same thing to happen to me on The Mummy.

What do you think? Can I handle the Mummy or is it too similar to Space Mountain?

WE'RE WAITING!!! :D

PCWalsh

Posting this response light years later. I’m sick of my fear of roller coasters. I once feared Space Mountain and Mount Everest and now they’re my two favorite rides at Disney. My fear is from build up of anticipation I believe. I want to go on the Mummy to pump me up to get me on Velocicoaster that opens in June. It looks like more of the simpler extreme roller coasters out there. What’s the biggest drop on the Mummy? If there aren’t any bigger than Space Mountains I shouldn’t worry a bit.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Posting this response light years later. I’m sick of my fear of roller coasters. I once feared Space Mountain and Mount Everest and now they’re my two favorite rides at Disney. My fear is from build up of anticipation I believe. I want to go on the Mummy to pump me up to get me on Velocicoaster that opens in June. It looks like more of the simpler extreme roller coasters out there. What’s the biggest drop on the Mummy? If there aren’t any bigger than Space Mountains I shouldn’t worry a bit.
Tamer than Slinky Dog or 7DMT.

Very spoilery...

PCWalsh

Tamer more than baby rides? I’m curious as to what happens at the end of the Mummy... when the room fills with smoke and strobes? Are you dropping or something or is that just effects to move you back to the queue?
Also I’m talking about Orlando location.

sonoma15

Also I’m talking about Orlando location.
The Orlando one doesn't really have any big drops besides the one coming out of the midcourse brake run which isn't actually really a big drop at all, you can see the layout here:
1620616812495.png

PCWalsh

This is great to know! Since Space Mountain seems to have a more intense track itself and I’ve heard the Mummy is a much smoother ride I should have no problems with this one. I know it’s mainly the intimidation factor of The Mummy that makes it seem more intense. Any word on what the ending scene is with the smoke and strobes? Does it do anything at this part?

sonoma15

This is great to know! Since Space Mountain seems to have a more intense track itself and I’ve heard the Mummy is a much smoother ride I should have no problems with this one. I know it’s mainly the intimidation factor of The Mummy that makes it seem more intense. Any word on what the ending scene is with the smoke and strobes? Does it do anything at this part?
No, it's just a regular brake run that plays a short video at the end of it

Rob562

FWIW, RCDb lists Mummy at a maximum height of 44 feet, with a max speed of 40mph. (That's likely the uphill launch and immediately after) Compare that to MK's Space Mountain at 90 feet tall but only 28mph.

-Rob

Crazyredheads

Original Poster
I rode the Mummy finally after posting this link and was really nauseous afterwards. I almost crawled out on all fours. I don't know if it's because I cannot handle roller coasters in the dark but they are just not for me. Both the Mummy and Space Mountain made me sick but I am fine on roller coasters like Toy Story Slinky Dog Dash, Thunder Mountain and Seven Dwarves. I think everyone is different so just see what you can tolerate. I personally need to see where the roller coaster is going to not be sick.

OG Runner

I rode the Mummy finally after posting this link and was really nauseous afterwards. I almost crawled out on all fours. I don't know if it's because I cannot handle roller coasters in the dark but they are just not for me. Both the Mummy and Space Mountain made me sick but I am fine on roller coasters like Toy Story Slinky Dog Dash, Thunder Mountain and Seven Dwarves. I think everyone is different so just see what you can tolerate. I personally need to see where the roller coaster is going to not be sick.

I can understand how things worked out. I am actually just the opposite. I can do Space Mountain and Rock n Roller Coaster, but can't seem to get myself on the Hulk & Rip Ride Rockit at Universal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom