Is the MCO Security Line Usually That Bad?

TheMouseFan

I wish I had gotten a picture, but when we were there on Saturday, June 11 at about 7:45pm, there was absolutely no line at all!! I could not believe it!

donsullivan

Premium Member
I live in Orlando and travel a lot for both business and pleasure in and out of Orlando. After the dozen plus years I've lived here I've notice a number of things with security that are very unique to that airport that seriously affect security lines.

- The length of the security lines ebbs and flows in wide swings with length over very short periods of time. They can be 'short' one minute and 10 minutes later be double or triple the length. There never seems to be any obvious reason for it, it's just the way the traffic pattern flows.
- A large number of passengers are only taking the second flight of their life. The first one is how they got to Orlando and they have apparently been under a rock for 15 years and do not understand the basics of the security process thus slowing the lines.
- Too many people with too many carry on items. With everyone trying to keep their airfare cost as low as possible, they seem to take their lives possessions in carry on luggage. The more of those items there are, the slower the process goes.
- People not taking off their jewelry and other metals thus requiring multiple passes through the scanner, slowing down the line.

The general pattern I see is large number of travelers unaware of how to move thru the process smoothly causing otherwise unexplainable slowdowns

Last edited:

jla127

- People not taking off their jewelry and other metals thus requiring multiple passes through the scanner, slowing down the line.

we were going on a trip with my mother, who I was pushing in her wheelchair, plus she had her cane, her carry-on and her bag filled to the rim with all sorts of crap (PLUS she HAD to have sandwiches for the plane ride!).... only when we got up to the TSA scanner did I realize ALL of the jewelry she chose to wear that day.. costume jewelry rings on just about every finger... two necklaces in addition to her lifeline necklace. I said to her "REALLY MOM???? what were you thinking wearing all this crap???" The TSA lady just laughed. I can't even explain why she had to has all that stuff on!! It's not like she had never traveled before. Me? I wear one ring and take that off when I'm traveling.

donsullivan

Premium Member
we were going on a trip with my mother, who I was pushing in her wheelchair, plus she had her cane, her carry-on and her bag filled to the rim with all sorts of crap (PLUS she HAD to have sandwiches for the plane ride!).... only when we got up to the TSA scanner did I realize ALL of the jewelry she chose to wear that day.. costume jewelry rings on just about every finger... two necklaces in addition to her lifeline necklace. I said to her "REALLY MOM???? what were you thinking wearing all this crap???" The TSA lady just laughed. I can't even explain why she had to has all that stuff on!! It's not like she had never traveled before. Me? I wear one ring and take that off when I'm traveling.

LOL. Yup, that's the pattern I was referring to. My theory has always been that they've been convinced their jewelry will be stolen by security so they wear every single piece they brought with them on their person to 'protect' it, which only results in slowing down the lines as they have to go through multiple times before they 'get it'. Meanwhile everyone behind them (including me :)) is just fuming at the hold-up.

I use TSA PreCheck now since I travel a lot for business and you don't see it much in those lines, even in Orlando. Most people who are willing to pay for the expedited security model are 'seasoned' travelers and move through very smoothly. There was a time where they were randomly assigning that privilege to anyone whether they'd been through the background scan or not and that introduced some of the same craziness. It absolutely drove the PreCheck passengers who know how to move through security smoothly, out of their minds. That practice has been stopped now and it's back to only TSA PreCheck approved travelers going through that line and it flies. Worth every penny of the cost to make my security experience, no matter the airport a more predictable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom