Is Star Wars special anymore?

Phroobar

Original Poster
Since we can expect a new Star Wars movie every year for the foreseeable future does this make a new Star Wars movie opening special? We use to have to wait 3-4 years for a new movie and wait ten years for a new trilogy. Each release felt exciting and new. Now we will get a new movie every year. Each one will be hit or miss in quality and how well it does in the theaters. As for toys, we only get a wave or two major characters now instead of weird background characters. What are your feelings on this? Do you like watching the trilogy movies or the anthology movies? Will one be better than the other? is that feeling of "special" still there?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Since we can expect a new Star Wars movie every year for the foreseeable future does this make a new Star Wars movie opening special? We use to have to wait 3-4 years for a new movie and wait ten years for a new trilogy. Each release felt exciting and new. Now we will get a new movie every year. Each one will be hit or miss in quality and how well it does in the theaters. As for toys, we only get a wave or two major characters now instead of weird background characters. What are your feelings on this? Do you like watching the trilogy movies or the anthology movies? Will one be better than the other? is that feeling of "special" still there?

I'm pleased as punch for 3 MCU movies a year. And each one is a gangbuster.

Star Wars going once a year seems too slow in comparison.

WhatJaneSays

Yep, it's just at special as it was before. I've noticed no lack of excitement in either my personal life or professional circles for all three of the Star Wars movies that we've had on "rapid fire" so far; Episode movies are more prized than the one offs of course. Having lived through the slogging wait between prequels, I never want to go back to that. I'd opt for more movies of varying production budget, subject, or main story involvement over the perceived "more valued" content movies every day of the week.

(As an aside: we already have 4 penciled in events for 2019's Episode IX, and 1 for whatever anthology movie comes out after Solo in 2020.)

prberk

For good or ill, and I really can see ill in it, I have come to realize that the SW "franchise" (and oh, how I hate that word in an artistic/storytelling context) is now more like the James Bond series (better word) than like a trilogy (or even trilogy of trilogies, as we first thought of it). I am not sure that we are better for this.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I grew up in an era where we waited years between movies and there was, at best, a trickle of information about those movies during the gap. We were so desperate for Star Wars back then, many of us actually enjoyed the Christmas Special.

What we have now is absolute heaven in my eyes.

SosoDude

Yeah, not saying that I don't like SW any longer, but it has lost that "special" feeling to me. I look forward to each movie release and all the hype, but the whole brand holds my attention about as long as the movie is in the theaters. Back when the original trilogy was happening, it held my interest a lot longer. I started feeling this way when the prequels were released.

The Empress Lilly

I grew up when there was nothing. Except rummaging through your pile of magazines with Star Wars content to look at the same pictures and posters over and over. And toys, photos on my toys packaging.

The comics had to fill the gap. Then some novels. VCR. One theme park ride. Then video games, followed by re-releases, the internet, the prequels, dvd's. Then another slight gap, then the animated series. Then Disney era came, with new movies, heavy park presence. Finally I have just the right amount of Star Wars.

Maybe I've been too lazy to check out EU stuff, but I've always had too little rather than too much Star Wars in my life, considering my fascination and love for it.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
I grew up in an era where we waited years between movies and there was, at best, a trickle of information about those movies during the gap. We were so desperate for Star Wars back then, many of us actually enjoyed the Christmas Special.

What we have now is absolute heaven in my eyes.

I agree 1000%

Princess Leia

For good or ill, and I really can see ill in it, I have come to realize that the SW "franchise" (and oh, how I hate that word in an artistic/storytelling context) is now more like the James Bond series (better word) than like a trilogy (or even trilogy of trilogies, as we first thought of it). I am not sure that we are better for this.
Except even James Bond doesn’t come out every year. Daniel Craig’s final appearance is next year, and that’s 4 years after Spectre came out. And I appreciate that wait (okay, I wish it came out this year, but the man’s mental health seemed to be at stake after the last one).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom