Is Refrigeratior worth it?

mikepaj

We are staying at WL in November for 7 nights. "We" includes my 6 and 4 year old boys. I was wondering if it is worth renting a refrigerator. My wife thinks it would be a good money saver to get breakfast foods and eat in the room most mornings. Also, my boys are big milk drinkers (2+ gallons a week) and don't usually have soda. I'm willing to bend the rules, it is Disney after all, but the last thing I need is to have them on a week long soda bender. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Ringo8n24

We went in October (WL) with a two year old and found a medium sized ice chest worked well. The ice kept the milk very cold and the ice was free. We gathered our breakfast items the night before at the food courts and was able to put it all together with what we had in the ice chest. You could get by without it, but it is your preference.

Upvote 0

Imagineermole

I would say get the fridge. It is only an extra $10 a night and you won't have to worry about having enough ice to last through the night because the fridge will keep everything cold. Plus the food will not get soggy due to the melted ice.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

well for 7 nights thats $70 for the use of a little fridge. I would stop at a local discount store and buy a mini-fridge for that money. Then you could pass it on to someone else when you were leaving. You might even be able to hook up with someone here on the boards! EIther way, you pay Disney the $70 to use a fridge, or buy one yourself and either sell it for $25 or give it away and REALLY make someones day when they are checking in. We have done that before both with the fridge and stroller, although this year we just rented strollers.

Upvote 0

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Best way to figure it out is to put it down on paper. How much would you spend each morning for your family to eat, along with the time it would take to go to the breakfast bar, versus, popping something out of the fridge, and into a microwave. We're going to take a micro with us next trip, along with having a fridge. Aside from that, we're going to buy the mugs next time out for free refills each day/evening.

Just my thoughts.

Upvote 0

SewIn2Disney

We had one last year, due to medication that needed to be refridgerated, and It was great! We could come back to cold drinks at night (esp. when you're too tired to walk to the food court) You could also pack your own drinks and have them on hand. It was also great to keep a container of cream cheese for a quick bagel in the morning.
But-like others have suggested, buying one at the local WalMart might be cheaper.
Either way, having one is great!

Upvote 0

cherrynegra

Yes!!!! You're going to need it to store soft drinks or water in a cool place. Plus any goodies you decide to get that you want kept cool. Highly recommend it.

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

This is one reason I LOVE dvc (all the rooms come with one.) It really saves us money and snacks, breakfest foods, lunches (sandwiches) you even have a place to put left overs if you want it (but you then need the dvc microwave!) How much more would it be for a room at VWL? (just a thought)

Put juice boxes and water bottles in the frezer part and then take them with you in a cooler bag, they keep cold great and that saves you ton too. (the water at WDW is really bad and bottled at 1$ each adds up fast.

Anyway I love have a freg, it really is easier. 10$ a night adds, up and the ones they give you normally are small and dirty, but it is worth it. I don't think I would bother buying one unless I had a car, even then it sounds like a good idea, but they can be bulky.

Upvote 0

Moonshadow1

We had one at the Contemp. a few years ago. It was well worth the money. In the Florida heat you are going to be very thirsty. On an average day at home we drink almost a gallon of liquid a day. More when we spend anytime in the sun. Think about all the $2 drinks you would buy. Compared to the seventy dollars for a frig. We brought gatoraide with us into the parks in one of the half quart bottles. One for the moring and one for the afternoon. I think we saved that much in drinks alone not to mention milk and stuff for breakfast.

Upvote 0

frazierle

We rented the little fridge our first trip then bought one of those ice chest fridges, that work off of ac/dc for about $65. It's much larger than the ones that were rented. We drive so its not a problem to take with us and we do bring snacks, water, milk, etc in with us. We have used it quite a bit over the last few years, so it has paid for itself a number of times.

Upvote 0

scorp111

frazierle said:
We rented the little fridge our first trip then bought one of those ice chest fridges, that work off of ac/dc for about $65. It's much larger than the ones that were rented. We drive so its not a problem to take with us and we do bring snacks, water, milk, etc in with us. We have used it quite a bit over the last few years, so it has paid for itself a number of times.

Yes,

If you are driving I would really recommend one of these. We bought one 6 months ago, and use it all the time. It is nice to be able to keep things cold, without worrying about Ice.

You could buy one for around what you would be giving Disney to borrow thier unit.

Upvote 0

DarkImage4

We went both ways on the fridge issue.

On our honey moon 2 years ago, we rented the firdge, and were very happy with the prospect of having ice cold drink waiting for us at the end of the day.

Last year we just used a large cooler, and though it did the jobs, it wasn't quite as cold, and any food items we tried to leave in there weren't quite right when we went back to them.

Never thought about buying one, might have to consider that prospect for the future.

Go with whichever way the math works out in your favor.

HAVE FUN!!!

Upvote 0

GenerationX

We have three young sons, and we have found renting a fridge to be very convenient. Like your boys, mikepaj, our boys are big milk drinkers.

With regards to breakfast, we pack plastic spoons, plastic bowls, and the kids' favorite cereal in a suitcase. We eat in every morning but one (a character breakfast). The extra space in the suitcase for the trip home is always taken with souvenirs.

It's also nice to have a fridge to freeze water bottles. We venture out to the parks with an old baby bottle bag containing two refrigerated water bottles and two frozen water bottles. By the time we've finished drinking the refrigerated water, the other bottles have thawed just enough to start drinking them.

My main concern is time. Buying a fridge may be the cheaper route, but I'd rather spend the time at the parks or at the resort pool.

Upvote 0

JBSLJames

GenerationX said:
My main concern is time. Buying a fridge may be the cheaper route, but I'd rather spend the time at the parks or at the resort pool.

We are looking at the same issue. The idea of cereal for the kids (on days we don't do a PS) is great and my wife and I can do the breakfast bars. I think someone mentioned buying the fridge is a good idea if you drive down. I aggree that I would not want to get to Orlando then search out a Wal-Mart to buy a fridge, but since we are driving down, we may buy one up here and take it with us on the trip. . .added bonus - pack drinks and sammy's for the trip as well, cutting down on the 'fast-food' costs.

What are the cubic foot dimensions for the WDW rentals?

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

One of the nicest, but often overlooked, things about WL is that the walk to the food court is very short, and it is all inside. It doesn't matter if it is pouring rain; you can make the trip in comfort. It's really not that much trouble for one of you to make a run while everyone else is getting dressed.

From allearsnet.com--the beverage menu from Roaring Forks, the counter service restarant at WL:
Assorted Juices - $1.69
Milk - $1.29
Coffee, Hot Tea - $1.89
Hot Chocolate - $1.89
Bottled Water $2.25
PowerAde - $2.35
Fruitopia - $2.59
Fountain Soft Drinks - Large $1.99 and Small $1.89
Beer Domestic - $3.99
Beer Imported - $4.29

Will your kids drink $10 worth of milk per day? The refillable mugs are around $12 and are good for anything on the fountain plus coffee, tea, and hot chocolate.

I would bring cereal from home and buy milk at the resort. (At the resorts they sell the prepackaged stuff already in a bowl. I think I would bring that--the kids will think it's really special.)

However--if you're driving down, or will have a car in Orlando, I'd buy one.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom