Is it possible to extend ride run times?

co10064

Premium Member
Original Poster
General question, I'm not sure if it has been answered here before.

Is it possible for operations to modify the length of certain attractions' run times? Or more specifically (since I'm sure it is theoretically possible), is it ever done, maybe during times of low crowds during special events?

For example, do rides like Tower of Terror or spinners like Dumbo or Mad Tea Party have modes that allow operators to extend the ride time profile?

Robbiem

I’m not an expert on Disney operations but I would think that a lot of the flat rides could have varying lengths like their fairground equivalents.

I guess in theory that you could alter the omnimover ride speeds and the speed of the boats on small world / pirates / splash etc but you might impact on the show and definitely affect capacity

mf1972

i would think it’s possible on some rides, such as any onmimover. i doubt they would ever do it because as robbiem mentioned, it’ll definitely increase the wait time for attractions. and no need to attempt it for IASW. that ride can feel like an eternity for just about anyone 😜

Br0ckford

Premium Member
Just pull a Clark Griswold. The rides last as long as you want.
600px-Vac_006.jpg

WorldExplorer

If you ride one of the spinners like Dumbo really early or really late, with no one in the line, they'll run the ride like normal and tell everyone after it ends that if they want another ride they can just stay put until it starts again.

So I'm guessing those types don't have an extended run option.

wdwfan22

If you ride one of the spinners like Dumbo really early or really late, with no one in the line, they'll run the ride like normal and tell everyone after it ends that if they want another ride they can just stay put until it starts again.

So I'm guessing those types don't have an extended run option.
A couple of weeks ago we rode Dumbo four times in the evening cause nobody else was riding. During three of the cycles we were the only people onboard.

lazyboy97o

Ride system controls can be altered to adjust run times but it’s not something left to the discretion of individual operators. Some attractions like the Jungle Cruise are operator controlled so they can impact ride times. Standardizing ride times is one of the things Dick Nunis did in the early days of Disneyland.

JIMINYCR

CM's that have posted on this site in the past have stated that the rides are set up to perform in a set cycle. The managers overseeing their performance are setting them to a standard of x numbers of guests riding in a time period. If they are not meeting those numbers they are being held accountable for not getting guests loaded and unloaded efficiently. I dont know how break downs are accounted for in that process. So there wouldnt be changing of run times by the CM's operating the rides. They can give repeated rides as stated by others when its slow. Weve had many repeated ride throughs when there arent lines.

Raxel7851

CM's that have posted on this site in the past have stated that the rides are set up to perform in a set cycle. The managers overseeing their performance are setting them to a standard of x numbers of guests riding in a time period. If they are not meeting those numbers they are being held accountable for not getting guests loaded and unloaded efficiently. I dont know how break downs are accounted for in that process. So there wouldnt be changing of run times by the CM's operating the rides. They can give repeated rides as stated by others when its slow. Weve had many repeated ride throughs when there arent lines.
It may just be me feeling it, but when we were at the MK in September, we rode the HM at least 4 times. Each time the ride stopped several times. It did seem like when it started back up, it felt like it was running just a little faster, like it was trying to catch up for the time lost.

lazyboy97o

It may just be me feeling it, but when we were at the MK in September, we rode the HM at least 4 times. Each time the ride stopped several times. It did seem like when it started back up, it felt like it was running just a little faster, like it was trying to catch up for the time lost.
The omnimovers are able to be slowed down to assist with loading and unloading.

thomas998

General question, I'm not sure if it has been answered here before.

Is it possible for operations to modify the length of certain attractions' run times? Or more specifically (since I'm sure it is theoretically possible), is it ever done, maybe during times of low crowds during special events?

For example, do rides like Tower of Terror or spinners like Dumbo or Mad Tea Party have modes that allow operators to extend the ride time profile?
You're best hope is that they simply run the ride an additional time because their is no one in line. We've experienced that on Soarin' in the past simply because they had closed the line behind us and they were running it again for some of the CMs that wanted to ride it. We only road it once more from what we thought were the prime seats, but as we were leaving they were going to run it again and there were some other guests that were going to ride it again so I have no clue how many times they actually went. So for the popular rides your best chance if probably going to be if you are the last ones of the day to ride it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom