Is Disney World actually trying to step it up again?

kap91

Yes. They've been heading in that direction for a long time. Just very, very, very slowly. It'll probably take until whatever is built after avatar though for people here to start acknowledging it.

Kman101

I think a lot of people's non reaction or meh reactions stem from being disappointed so long in really nothing new. And it also seems that it stems from things being taken away and less being added.

They also take forever to do anything and knowing why (to stretch out the cost) makes it somewhat annoying and takes a little bit of the excitement out of things. Such as knowing Avatarland is coming since 2011 and won't be in the parks until 2017. I can understand being meh about that.

I do think they're trying. I see a lot of improvements, some refurbs are better than others, some of their 'entertainment' offerings could be better.

And also, a lot of the updates they did in the early 2000s were just very meh and unexciting as a whole. Stitch? Nemo? Figment? All somewhat blah attractions.

I do give them credit where credit is due. Festival of Fantasy is a major step up from their parades. But then you have parades in the other parks cut. It's like nothing can be added without taking something away. So I get the lackluster reactions. I do think focusing so much on what's taken away lessens the excitement for anything new.

And plus everyone has different tastes. So some updates and refurbs, people just aren't going to like them.

I think Rivers of Light is a huge step in the right direction for Animal Kingdom.

And once I see them saying we'll see updates and new rides for Epcot and DHS, I'd say many will see that as a step in the right direction.

I see a lot of negativity towards the hub re-do at the MK, and I'm all for preserving certain aspects of the parks, but honestly, it sounds like a huge step in the right direction. More fountains, more trees, more flowers, more walkways. I know losing some water around the hub and castle isn't very popular, but I think the MK deserves a large, expansive, impressive hub.

All that aside, can Disney PLEASE invest in Epcot and DHS! And can they please stop stretching every project out for years on end?

kap91

I think a lot of people's non reaction or meh reactions stem from being disappointed so long in really nothing new. And it also seems that it stems from things being taken away and less being added.

They also take forever to do anything and knowing why (to stretch out the cost) makes it somewhat annoying and takes a little bit of the excitement out of things. Such as knowing Avatarland is coming since 2011 and won't be in the parks until 2017. I can understand being meh about that.

I do think they're trying. I see a lot of improvements, some refurbs are better than others, some of their 'entertainment' offerings could be better.

And also, a lot of the updates they did in the early 2000s were just very meh and unexciting as a whole. Stitch? Nemo? Figment? All somewhat blah attractions.

I do give them credit where credit is due. Festival of Fantasy is a major step up from their parades. But then you have parades in the other parks cut. It's like nothing can be added without taking something away. So I get the lackluster reactions. I do think focusing so much on what's taken away lessens the excitement for anything new.

And plus everyone has different tastes. So some updates and refurbs, people just aren't going to like them.

I think Rivers of Light is a huge step in the right direction for Animal Kingdom.

And once I see them saying we'll see updates and new rides for Epcot and DHS, I'd say many will see that as a step in the right direction.

I see a lot of negativity towards the hub re-do at the MK, and I'm all for preserving certain aspects of the parks, but honestly, it sounds like a huge step in the right direction. More fountains, more trees, more flowers, more walkways. I know losing some water around the hub and castle isn't very popular, but I think the MK deserves a large, expansive, impressive hub.

All that aside, can Disney PLEASE invest in Epcot and DHS! And can they please stop stretching every project out for years on end?
I guarantee you DHS will be the next park to see new things (and probably quite a few) followed by Epcot. Inside info? No...but everything points that way.

CP_alum08

All they would have to do to gain more of my attention is to spend less time/money on the resorts, espeically DVC. I know work is being done in the parks but not enough for my liking.

Beholder

With every thing that Universal is doing I hope so!

I think this adds to the frustration that we sometimes tend to have with Disney's efforts. We have a direct comparison, we have somewhere we can point to and say "See, it can be done faster, and with quality attractions!" We want Disney to be the undisputed champion of theme parks, and I'll admit, having Potter touted by some as the best attraction ever, well, that stings. I want Disney to build the biggest and the best. When they choose to build slow or scale back, it just adds to the frustration.

But to the original question, I think WDW is on an upswing. Disney Springs, MK's FL, the encouraging rumors about DHS and EPCOT, and AK nighttime show and Avatar/Pandora, I like this "movement" if you will much better than the stagnation we've grown used too. Even though it isn't exactly what I'd want or especially the pace I'd like, I'm happy to sit back and watch it unfold and just hope I'm blessed enough to keep going and enjoying it all.

seascape

I do not agree they they are spending too much time on DVC's. I am a DVC owner and go three times a year and hoping to increase it to four times and a total of 24 days. I think they need to build more resorts and attractions. They go together because you need more people in the parks and they need somewhere to stay.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
All they would have to do to gain more of my attention is to spend less time/money on the resorts, espeically DVC. I know work is being done in the parks but not enough for my liking.

First, Disney Vacation Club is not for everyone, but those that do not want to stay there should thank Disney Vacation Club Members for the money they add to the Disney Parks. Still, here we go again on complaining about Disney Vacation Club. Disney Vacation Club is a cash cow for Disney. They can build resorts and have them paid for by the people staying there. Every Disney Vacation Club resort on park made big bucks fast for Disney. Disney Vacation Club brings large numbers of people to the parks every year. Disney Vacation Club members spend millions on food and souvenirs at the resorts and parks. Moving members into rooms that they pay for frees up rooms for other guest to stay on the park without Disney having to pay to build more resorts. As long as they can sell more Disney Vacation Club timeshares, then they take nothing away from Walt Disney World and just add millions for Disney to spend on other things. The only thing that could hurt Walt Disney World is that Disney Vacation Club had large numbers of timeshare points sitting unsold for long periods of time. That is not happening.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Now let me say that I am happy to see Walt Disney World getting the care it needs after years of very slow growth and some maintenance that needed to get done. I do think that with the improvements coming in the next three years, will keep me be coming back to visit Walt Disney World more than ever.

BigTxEars

Why the dislike for DVC? I can see no harm is does, it brings revenue to WDW which is a good thing IMO.

What as I missing?

BigTxEars

They're not; what is bad is when they put money into DVC that could be spent on something else, ie: more rides, when they already have plenty of properties.

Agree at some point the DVC spending has to drive a good ROI for WDW. I do not know where that balance is but I would guess WDW does. It seems they are spending money in a lot of places across WDW right now. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom