Is Disney starting to lose that genuine quality for you?

Are you losing interest because it is losing that magical Disney feel?

• Total voters

Tony the Tigger

I am definitely downgrading my Disney World AP in one month when it renews simply because I do not feel valued and loved as a Platnium Pluss Passmember. I love the parks dearly but truly what's the point?? As a SeaWorld passholder, I'm treated like a God even thought I'm only Silver (one of the lowest tiers). I get NOTHING from WDW. Why the hell can't they give me discounts on everything like SWO? I find it downright offensive Disney believes they can charge me full price for booze and quick service food when just up the street I get all of that for a 20% off. Add in the weekday happy hour at SWO, the greatest summer event in Orlando, and a great ride lineup and I'm sold. Disney is becoming down right idiotic with their FL passholder rates and I refuse to fall victim. Why would I pay nearly $80 a month for WDW when the top tier at SW is almost half that? Step it up Disney!! Give me a night parade at MK, non IP fireworks, actual new additions to ALL THE PARKS, and maybe I'll be Platinum Plus again. Until then, bye!

How many times can you ride Pirates at Sea World?

In all seriousness, SW is fine. We have done AP’s there. I don’t remember being “treated like a God” but I know I have plenty of discounts at WDW with my lowly Weekday Select FL AP.

Room discounts of 20% to 35%, dining discounts of 10% to 20% (and there are often temporary specials where more restaurants are 20%.) Merch discounts. Free parking. What more do you want?

HoldenC

How many times can you ride Pirates at Sea World?

In all seriousness, SW is fine. We have done AP’s there. I don’t remember being “treated like a God” but I know I have plenty of discounts at WDW with my lowly Weekday Select FL AP.

Room discounts of 20% to 35%, dining discounts of 10% to 20% (and there are often temporary specials where more restaurants are 20%.) Merch discounts. Free parking. What more do you want?
Honestly I despite Pirates of the Caribbean and wouldnt be upset it it was bulldozed tonight. I want discounts on booze, $10 preferred parking, actual passholder gifts that are not cheaply made plastic magnets, the passholder room discount is joke. A value for still at least $105?? Ridicoulous. Also where is the passholder lounge at WDW? Oh right nowhere because they do not care!!!!!! I'll admit I'm just "over" disney for moment. There is truly nothing that interests me personally that I can get excited for. Some stupid land based on an overrated and not that good movie franchise at Studios doesn't cut it 🤷‍♂️

eliza61nyc

Honestly I despite Pirates of the Caribbean and wouldnt be upset it it was bulldozed tonight. I want discounts on booze, $10 preferred parking, actual passholder gifts that are not cheaply made plastic magnets, the passholder room discount is joke. A value for still at least $105?? Ridicoulous. Also where is the passholder lounge at WDW? Oh right nowhere because they do not care!!!!!! I'll admit I'm just "over" disney for moment. There is truly nothing that interests me personally that I can get excited for. Some stupid land based on an overrated and not that good movie franchise at Studios doesn't cut it 🤷‍♂️
Remember though everything is very personal.

Booze?? I could care less, I don't go to Disney to drink. Bars are a dime a dozen. I go to the world for the rides and attractions. So I'd much rather have the room discount. Some "stupid" land?
Again, personal choice. Most folks want new stuff,.there aren't there for a lounge. Lol, I've been to the dvc lounge what 3 times. Yeah it's cute but it's not the reason I'm in Epcot.

I'll take the room discount and it will be enough to cover all the booze I can drink..

HoldenC

Remember though everything is very personal
Yah clearly what I said in my post if you could read 🙅‍♂️🤷‍♂️ it's all personal. I find nothing of interest right now and that's okay. I've been going every year for 10 years so a break is fine. Next year when Runaway Railway, Rat, and IllumiNations 2.0 opens, I'll ne excited again. Until then I'll be a gold AP

eliza61nyc

Yah clearly what I said in my post if you could read 🙅‍♂️🤷‍♂️ it's all personal. I find nothing of interest right now and that's okay. I've been going every year for 10 years so a break is fine. Next year when Runaway Railway, Rat, and IllumiNations 2.0 opens, I'll ne excited again. Until then I'll be a gold AP
Disney or any company that has repeat customer can find themselves caught between a rock and a hard place. Every one wants the things that benefit them. I travel with seniors so preferred parking makes my life easier.
Maybe they need a way for people to "pick" their poison.
I just don't think a passholder discount is necessarily a reflection of how much Disney cares.

bUU

OTOH, I can see why Iger and co want to do all these remakes, it a way to "keep those IP alive", aka "useful" to the Parks and general merchandising.
It goes beyond that. A scant few movies transcend, but most movies (even animation) are invariably grounded in the time that they are produced. As such, they become dated.

Throughout human history, stories have been restaged generation after generation so as to give them a new life in the minds of new viewers; it is only the last few generations that it has been practicable to repeatedly playback a specific staging of a story (through video rebroadcast), and that technological artifact doesn't make it better and often makes it worse. The treatment of a previous staging of a story as if it were a sacred relic does a disservice to the story, robbing it of the natural and traditional way stories remain relevant in human history. It also is a disservice to the next generation, practically implying that nothing they can produce can be as good as what past generations produced. The reality is actually the opposite: Generation after generation for hundreds of years each generation has exceeded the previous. Nostalgia, while a quaint tendency, is overall a damaging perspective to hold on to too tightly.

bUU

You are parsing what you wrote above...attempting to gain credibility as “more dedicated” of a fan in the spectrum you were talking about
No I'm not; that's not even a small part of what I wrote; you're just making up nonsense to post in an attempt to make it seem like you have a point when all you really want to do is to distract attention away from points you don't like but for which you don't have a legitimate response.

As for all your other “counterpoints”... they are just combative.
Far far less so than your replies to those comments you don't like. You're reckless and aimless in that regard.

I gave you examples, you don’t like them.
Me liking them has nothing to do with it. They were not examples of what we were talking about. Again, what we were talking about was you having demonstrated over and over that you are utterly unwilling to see past your own personal preferences to what could be a broader reality that justifies not doing what you personally want done.

We both should move on.
Fair enough, but I wonder if you are able to hold to that.

I would suggest you drop the economist routine
Why would you even think that anyone would care one bit about your suggestions about what they should post about? That seems like yet another desperate attempt by you to control the discussion so you don't have to encounter comments you don't like but for which you have no legitimate response. So let's turn it around... why don't you take your own advice? Just post that you like things and don't like things and leave the "economist routine" to those of us with knowledge, experience and most importantly, a broad and mature perspective about business.

bUU

You, at least partially, bought a home based on its proximity to Disney World. You clearly have an incentive to defend Disney World based on this.
How do you account for the 30+ years of online posts within which I have regularly and consistently put self-centered curmudgeons in their place whenever they seek to put their own personal preferences over the professional expertise, experience, knowledge and access to research data that some business' managers - any business' managers - have? My point is as it has always been - that it is fine to say what one personally likes or does not like, but when people start inflating the importance of their preferences into some kind of conclusion about the decisions made by a business then they're being ridiculously egoistic, irrational and childish.

bUU

I just don't think a passholder discount is necessarily a reflection of how much Disney cares.
It isn't, and this highlights another aspect of this: Anthropomorphizing businesses is another indicator of what I've been talking about, and another reflection of being unable to cogently differentiate between one's preferences (likes and dislikes) and the broader reality of the commercial transactions between themselves and the businesses with which they engage.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
How do you account for the 30+ years of online posts within which I have regularly and consistently put self-centered curmudgeons in their place whenever they seek to put their own personal preferences over the professional expertise, experience, knowledge and access to research data that some business' managers - any business' managers - have? My point is as it has always been - that it is fine to say what one personally likes or does not like, but when people start inflating the importance of their preferences into some kind of conclusion about the decisions made by a business then they're being ridiculously egoistic, irrational and childish.
Mental illness? I dunno. That’s a long time to spend claiming TWDC and it’s myriad of executives are infallible.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Mental illness? I dunno. That’s a long time to spend claiming TWDC and it’s myriad of executives are infallible.
Did you miss the part where he claimed to be a internet cop doing “citizens arrests” on chat boards? 🙄

30 years defending the “sanctity of the chat room”...

Somedays you think you’ve seen everything...some days you actually have seen everything.

“Self centered carmudgeons”...like the kind that infer that buying a rancher on the corner of 192 and 27 is somehow like moving into the Big Pine Key at the grand as your private condo...perhaps?

Can’t make this stuff up.

bUU

No one claimed anyone was infallible, so basically you're lying about what I said, clearly indicating you have no legitimate response to a comment you didn't like. How about when you start typing in a lie you stop and think that perhaps that's an indication that you have gone too far and should step away from the discussion?

To be clear: I haven't said that Disney is infallible: I have said that random people posting self-serving prattle on the Internet are far far far more likely to be be wrong about Disney's business than Disney is.

Did you miss the part where he claimed to be a internet cop doing “citizens arrests” on chat boards? 🙄 30 years defending the “sanctity of the chat room”...
I said nothing about being "a internet cop" or about "defending the sanctity" of anything. So you've labeled yourself as yet another poster stooping to lying about what I've said to cover up the wholesale failure of your argument.

So how much more will you lie to try to distract attention away from comments you don't like but for which you don't have a legitimate response?

Prototype82

I think that was just a horrible idea...pooched in the way only the “DAK team” can do it.

But it’s not entirely their fault. They have really not stressed writing stories for new original attractions - it’s all IP for years - and someplaces just aren’t designed for parades and shows.

Dak maybe the best example.

I still feel like Rivers was perfect as a show for AK. If that hundred-lantern effect would've made it out of it's tech mishap, it would've had some pretty universal wow factor. It's amazing that the execs even allowed them to do something original. Guess I'm glad I had it while I did...

What happened to RoL?
I haven’t seen any version of it.
Though the original could've used some plussing here and there, it was a well-composed original story with live choreography and gorgeous costumes. Then the actor budget cut left the show running with loop holes and parts missing. Then eventually all of it was chopped for an IP-based show(which can work if done well) that was thrown together in a rush and doesn't even use half of the tech capabilities... It's just kind of telling about the decisions being made...

Last edited:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
you have gone too far and should step away from the discussion?
I believe you’re right, but not for the reasons you think. I’ve no interest in continuing a back and forth with you. I’m sorry I’ve insulted your friend, TWDC, I’ll try not to do so in the future.

bUU

I believe you’re right, but not for the reasons you think.
No, truly, if you have to stoop to lying about what another poster posted, then truly you need to rethink posting that.

I’ve no interest in continuing a back and forth with you.
Then why did you post this reply?

I’m sorry I’ve insulted your friend, TWDC, I’ll try not to do so in the future.
Disney isn't my friend. As a matter of fact, the problem seems to be that several posters in this thread think that it should be their friend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom