Is Disney Handling this Well?

O'Mailey

Original Poster
Okay, first I need to start off by saying that I'm really excited about all of the new attractions announced for WDW in the next few years. Each of them sounds like a good (well thought out) addition to its perspective park.

However, I'm wondering if Disney is doing the right thing by announcing all of this now. Disney has three great new attractions to market right now (Mission Space, Mickey's Philharmagic, and Wishes) without announcing what they are doing in 2 or 3 years. I'm wondering if any potential customers will decide to put off their trips to see Mission Space, Mickey's Philharmagic, and Wishes until the new rides are also built.

I know that, for local people, this is not a big deal. They can go and enjoy the new attractions now and still return when the new attractions begin opening. But, for a single school teacher in Michigan, I have to plan out my trip ahead of time and save money for it. Not to mention, preferrably find people to travel with and "share the magic." The fact is that I probably wouldn't go to Disney in the next couple of years either way. But, I'm wondering how many people who are planning to go to Disney might decide to put off their trip until the new attractions are also finished. They might think that they might as well wait a couple of years so that they can experience, Stitch Escape, Soarin', the new stunt show, and Expedition Everest. So, what do you think?

SpongeScott

I'm not waiting. I'll go again in 2004 and plan for another trip in 2005. Matters not to me when these things open, I'm going.

Foolish Mortal

I'd go even if the top 10 attractions World wide were going to be closed. For me (and MANY others) it's not just ride's and show's, it's also a piece of mind that I have while there. Rest of the world blew up ? Ah that's a shame, let's get a Dole whip and head over to Space Mountain.

DisneyFan 2000

Remember this: we are disney nuts so we know these things! Not everyone has this info and not everyone plans according to new entertainment so affects on attendence won't change, maybe even rise because of the new attractions!

PeeplMoovr

While I think it won't affect most people, I myself have been rethinking a trip I have tentatively planned for Oct '04, and have had moments of wanting to wait until the end of '05 for some of the same reasons.
I have a 6 hour flight to get to WDW, go at least every other year these days, and I have a slight apprehension about by next year's trip for two reasons:
1. I'd like to be able to get on all the new rides (Expedition Everest especially), and they won't be up yet and
2. The possibility that more than a few of my favorite rides will be shut down for refurb/maintenance next Oct in order to get ready for the big celebration in '05.

It's not that WDW is all about the rides/attractions, it's just that they add more to the place, and especially when you can't get there every month or even every year. They're part of the whole experience that I'd rather have when I go. (I went do Disneyland a few months back and Space Mtn, Pirates and a few other things were closed. It was still great, but something was definitely missing).

In the long run, I'll most likely go next year, and then in '06. Thankfully, I have that luxury. Back in the day when I was an East-Coaster none of this would've even phased me. But then I used to hit WDW a few times a year. Now this is all making me think a little bit. I'm only a 5 hour flight to Hawaii, and that's always a good "filler" trip, right?

So, for most people it probably doesn't mean much. For some, though, I think you're right.

:p

djmatthews

To be honest, I am thinking of postponing my trip until 2005, one of the reasons is because of all the new attractions being built are more likely to be open. I know if this was the case I would never go, but there are other reasons beyond that.

Redvette

There are certain types of people who will postpone buying a TV, because in a few years there will be a new technology, or the same thing with computers, a new chip is coming, so "I'll wait". To me that just means living with something outdated for even longer, I want the best stuff available now. I guess people will do the same with Disney, but If you waited until all future projects were complete you would never go, there are always future projects. I would love to to see EE, but I am not going to put off a trip for three years, so that I can see one more 5 minute attraction.

egionet

My family goes to WDW every other year regardless of what attractions are new. We like the new attractions, but my parents, who make all the vacation plans, do not really pay attention to what is new. They just like going to WDW and truly enjoy the old attractions as well as the new stuff.

Of course, everyone is different in how they handle their vacation plans because WDW is extremely expensive, but I don't see how the new attractions that aren't built yet will deter people. We travel from CT and will go see new and old stuff. So, in my opinion, some people will wait, but most won't.

CTXRover

This is actually a really good question. Often times, people will make plans to come to Disney a year or two in advance. To them, the fact that 4 additional new rides will be open by 2006 may keep them from going in 2 years and pushing it to 3 years. However, if you always wait for the newly announced things things to open, you may never go. Afterall, it is likely that when the last of the four new attractions are completed, that being Expedition Everest, they will announce something big, possibly another E-ticket or two, to be added down the road. So, technically, you could push it off forever because Disney is ever-changing.

However, up here in PA, the only thing I have heard that would be accessible to the "general" public not doing Disney searches on the internet is the opening of Mission:Space and Philharmagic and the whole Magical Gatherings thing. I have yet to see an article that says to expect 4 new attractions by 2006. So, what I think will happen is people not near Florida will plan to visit WDW now to see all the new stuff currently open that was presented to the media. They will get down there, have loads of fun, and see that Disney is building four new attractions around the resort. Now Disney has produced incentive into these folks to come back in a few years. By announcing everything now, it shows the whole industry and the stock market that Disney isn't going to let this tourism slump keep them down. Instead they are going to push the level of tourism up by creating a reason to come a visit, whether it be now, or 2-3 years down the road.

JLW11Hi

I was actually thinking about waiting a while before going back to Disney. I mean, I go every year, and this has been for about the 4 past years....and nothign has really changed at Disney much since then. It would be awesome to come back and have a ton of new things to go see!

But then again, I am pretty addicted to the place. lol

kennyj29

Postponing A Trip

To me it would be silly to do so because Disney will bring new things out, at that time, that they will be doing. If you keep postponing every time they announce something new is coming out, you'll never get there. This is my philosophy in life. My dad died before he could retire and he never, ever got to enjoy his life like he could have. It has turned me into a "I will enjoy my life while I'm young" type of person , I will make sure my kids enjoy life while they are young and we did!!!! I'm in debt, I pay my bills but I have enjoyed every single minute of it!!!! We will never, ever be sorry we did what we did and someday my bills will get paid but I made sure we enjoyed everything we wanted to do. We are happy, healthy, and have a lot of great memories to look back on. I will never postpone a trip because of lack of money. I will go now and then and whenever we want because that's what it's all about. If you don't live now, you never will!!!!!

DisneyFan 2000

I can understand people who want to delay:

2 new E - tickets (SOC, EE)
new stunt show
Stich's blah blah blah! :hurl: :hurl:

It is more than what happens on a usual year and it is the 50 year event!

Punkss

Most of the time these things are not just advertising future events and rides but also just to say "Hey, hello over there we're still here....come and visit"!

For one i didn't even think about going/coming to Florida until my boss and another girl from work went. It needs to be seen before people get ideas about going!

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
It will make me a little hesitant about going and then turning right back around and dropping that money again to see the newer new stuff when it's done. In the end though, I think everyone's love of WDW will make them go twice! :lol:

lilkitty819

Hi all

I don't make my Disney vacation plan on what new attraction's there are, i make them for my peace of mind...And Disney is always changing..It's been a year since I've been there, and when I get there in Nov. I'll have three new things to see..So as you see things change on a constant bases there....And if anybody remembers the Test track was suppose to be open in 96:brick: and didn't open till 99.....So don't make your plans on attraction....:hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom