Is Airtran Airlines anygood?

fizzle75

Original Poster
My wife and I are in the process of planning our next trip to the world in april for our 2nd wedding anniversary. We normally try to fly out of either Asheville,NC or Greenville,SC because they are only about a 1 1/2 hour drive from our home. Money is a little tight right now and we really can't afford $300.00 airplane tickets so we have been searching the web for some cheap flights,so far the cheapest direct flight we have found is out of Charlotte,NC (the flight is around $150.00)but it is on an Airline we aren't familiar with called Airtran. We are still kinda new to flying and I am a little nervous about using an airline I am not familiar with so my question is this...have any of you used this airline and if so what did you think of it and what kind of experience did you have with them. Also if anyone has reccomendations for a cheaper flight please let me know. I would greatly appreciate any advice or input you can give,you guys always seem so helpful. I love WDWMagic!!!:wave:

kal1484

I love airtran, nice planes, nice people. Its the airline I fly the most. They have nice, cheap flights without losing any service!

fizzle75

Original Poster
I love airtran, nice planes, nice people. Its the airline I fly the most. They have nice, cheap flights without losing any service!
If we fly out of Charlotte our flight will take us about 1 1/2 hours,which for most folks wouldn't be that long of a flight but I am overweight and I have a bad knee that gives me a fit if I can't stretch my leg out when I am sitting so my biggest concern is roominess. Are Airtran's jet's very roomy?

maelstrom

Just keep in mind that, at least in Orlando, the line to check-in for AirTran is going to be several times longer than those for any other airline.

cloudboy

AirTran does have fairly short seat pitch (the distance between seats) they run at 30", while most others are at least 31" if not 32". I believe their 737s have a inch more legroom than the 717. OTher than that, they are not really a small carrier - they are getting up there with the majors.

Another option may be to use Jet Blue. I think they fly into Charlotte. They have 33"-34" in their planes. And seatback video! Either way, try and put your luggage in the overhead bin to give yourself a little more leg room. You may also want to try to get an isle seat, which gives you a tad more room and you don't have the curving sidewall to contend with. The only problem is you don't get to look out a window.

disneygirl746kt

Airtran operates Boeing 717 & 737-700...They are not the roomiest jets in the world, but you may be able to get an exit row where you can stretch your leg out. Keep in mind the 717 has a 3-2 seating configuration just like the MD80 & MD90 (717 is just the updated version of those jets from when Boeing merged with McDonnell Douglas). As for the 737 it has a 3-3 seating configuration. As in all jets though, unless you pay for first class you have a very good chance of being cramped unless you can book early enough to pick the seats you want.

For the first time in November 2005, I used Airtran to fly to Orlando. Ever since ATA (doesn't fly out of Indianapolis any more) and Delta stopped flying the good times out of Indianapolis, my dad and I had to find a different airline.
I have been on both 717 and 737s and I was very pleased with both. I flew the 717 on the way down to Orlando without my father, but with a friend. The 717 is small, but near the emergancy exits had more leg room (but which airlines don't? lol). I flew the 737 on the way home. Again, I was very pleased with them and I do plan on flying with them as long as I can.
When you fly with them, while you check in, see if you can try and get an emergancy exit seat, if they have them available on your flights. That's what we do. Hope that helps out.
~*kaytee*~

MickeyTigg

AirTran is attempting to buy our local airline, Midwest Airlines (one of the top rated airlines in the US)....so I'm not a big fan of AirTran at this time.

:mad:

TiggersGang

Just got back from the world and flew Airtran. We went out of Boston Logan and it iwent very smooth. The planes are new, seating not very leg roomy unless you have emergency seating (which we got going down to FL). Coming back at MCO, we were at curbside check in, we had hard tickets and we stood in line for 15 minutes and when we got up to the front they told us that we had to go inside to check in. That didn't go over very well with me. Everyone seemed to be clueless as for what to do. Airtran should have someone outside telling people where to go if you have hardcopy tickets. The security line was a joke also. The lines were unbelievable. When you get to the gate they only had McDonalds, AuBon Pain, Sbarro pizza. When you fly Delta they have the Outback Steak House that you can sit at the bar and have a few drinks and a nice meal cause they only give you drinks and pretzals or graham crackers on the plane (but you get what you pay for). Fly them again? Probably.

MotoDisney

Just got back from the world and flew Airtran. We went out of Boston Logan and it iwent very smooth. The planes are new, seating not very leg roomy unless you have emergency seating (which we got going down to FL). Coming back at MCO, we were at curbside check in, we had hard tickets and we stood in line for 15 minutes and when we got up to the front they told us that we had to go inside to check in. That didn't go over very well with me. Everyone seemed to be clueless as for what to do. Airtran should have someone outside telling people where to go if you have hardcopy tickets. The security line was a joke also. The lines were unbelievable. When you get to the gate they only had McDonalds, AuBon Pain, Sbarro pizza. When you fly Delta they have the Outback Steak House that you can sit at the bar and have a few drinks and a nice meal cause they only give you drinks and pretzals or graham crackers on the plane (but you get what you pay for). Fly them again? Probably.

Well that's a decent review. I'm glad it was smooth going out of Boston and it wasn't a total loss coming back but they should be able to get you where you need to go without waiting around for nothing. I'll have e-tickets but it's good to know about the hard tickets.

My DW and I will be going on Airtran in a few weeks, we usually fly Delta but couldn't pass up the fare.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom