Internet Phones

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
I saw the recent thread about internet on property, and saw that someone said there were "Internet Phones" in side the gates of the MK.

A few questions about these:

1. Where all are they, in the parks? Just at the front gates? All 4 parks?

2. Do they have internet explorer? How do you use them?

3. Do you pay with Credit Card, I hops?

I will need to check my work e-mail and a work-related website twice during my trip, and it sure would be nice if I can just do it at these things.

Thanks in advance

DonickCo

unforchently, and im speculating here, with AT&T dropping sponsorship, the internet phones have been removed. On my last trip down the phones were no where to be seen.
I could be wrong…but I know that I saw at least 3 phones removed, the one in the epcot braes way and the one of the ones at MK.

-DonickCo

I'm not going to be too much help here. I don't know if the phones are still there either. But I know I saw one at OKW, and I think I saw one at one of the All-Star resorts? So maybe each resort had one, I'm not sure.

Ok, here's the horrible part, I can't remember the names of the places in MK that I may remember seeing them (it's been 2 years) so I'm going to try and describe it :lol: There was one down main street and to your right, around that restaurant I think. And one in a tunnel kinda thing in Adventureland, around where the washrooms are. Those are the only ones I can remember.

I hope they're there though. I'm going to need to check my e-mail at least once.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Thanks for the reply TTA - I appreciate it when people reply who actually have valuable input.

Are there any other places, HANDY, to access the internet for money? I'll be using the company credit card, so $$ isn't a problem. And I'll be staying at Port Orleans Riverside, so going to another resort to use the internet is not really an intelligent option for me.

DopeyFan

Hi Tom-- The net phones are no longer in the Magic Kingdom. And I'm almost certain that they are not in the other three parks. They've been gone for the past couple of months. I really wish they would come back!

Don't know about resorts.

J

joviacdan

They have (or at least had) them at the All Star Resorts, as well as a few other places when I was there in January.

When I was there last October, I used them quite a bit. Honestly, I thought they sucked. They don't work well at all. I'd say, if I tried to check my email 15 times during the week, I was successfull maybe 5 times.

They're also a ripoff.

Moustronaut

There should be one in the lobby area of dixie landings.

If not, the conference centers at Boardwalk Inn, Beach Club, Contemporary, Grand Floridian, and Coronado Springs have business centers.

Not sure what they have to offer or how much it costs but it would be worth a phone call to any of the resorts to ask.

Also, do you have a wifi enabled laptop or pda? all of the above mentioned conference areas are wifi enabled if that would be of use to you.

phlydude

If you have a rental car, you can go to a Public Library and use the Internet there. They may charge a small fee (much cheeper than if in Disney) but will give you about 1/2 hour to use the internet.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Originally posted by phlydude
If you have a rental car, you can go to a Public Library and use the Internet there. They may charge a small fee (much cheeper than if in Disney) but will give you about 1/2 hour to use the internet.

Sorry, I have a policy that I don't get in the car once we park at the resort until we leave :lol:

As for WIFI.....are you referring to wireless internet? I will be bringing a laptop, to download our digital pics to each day. If I got an 802.11b or g card for it, I'd be able to get online?

We're staying at Dixie Landings...I guess I could look around there.

I'm not really concerned with how much it costs because the company will be paying. It's a personal vacation but it would be REALLY handy to check my work e-mail and this online project manangement system we have running - I'm trying to build a 6.5 million dollar hospital, and that's hard to do when I'm in Florida for a week :lol:

iluvstitch

You can use the Internet for free at the Wonderland Cafe at DisneyQuest. They are the fastest computers, but it's usually quiet up there and there's no time limit. -Stephanie

TURKEY

Originally posted by joviacdan
They have (or at least had) them at the All Star Resorts, as well as a few other places when I was there in January.

When I was there last October, I used them quite a bit. Honestly, I thought they sucked. They don't work well at all. I'd say, if I tried to check my email 15 times during the week, I was successfull maybe 5 times.

They're also a ripoff.

They are in the process of removing the internet phones from the All-Stars.

TURKEY

Originally posted by Moustronaut
There should be one in the lobby area of dixie landings.

If not, the conference centers at Boardwalk Inn, Beach Club, Contemporary, Grand Floridian, and Coronado Springs have business centers.

Not sure what they have to offer or how much it costs but it would be worth a phone call to any of the resorts to ask.

Also, do you have a wifi enabled laptop or pda? all of the above mentioned conference areas are wifi enabled if that would be of use to you.

There is no Wi-Fi or internet phone at Port Orleans.

Wi-Fi at Boardwalk, Contemporary, Coronado, Grand, and Yacht & Beach.

DonickCo

Disney is installing hotspots in all of the resorts. I know for a fact that at the contemporary you can get online, for a fee of course daily or hourly, I think it was about $10 a day. I went online in the convention center and by the pool, I think it works in the lobby as well. It was an 802.11b network. Hope this helps,

O and by the way, you can get online, wirelessly, for free at the IBM both in innoventions. If its still up :animwink:

-DonickCo:animwink:

Woody13

Tom,

You can get on the Internet via a dialup connection at any of the WDW resorts. It costs $0.75 per call. All the resort room phones have data ports to connect the modem from your laptop.

It's not high speed, but since you only intend to check your email and your work related website, it should be fast enough. The charges will show up on your resort bill.

Have a great time!:wave:

Moustronaut

Originally posted by edwardtc
As for WIFI.....are you referring to wireless internet? I will be bringing a laptop, to download our digital pics to each day. If I got an 802.11b or g card for it, I'd be able to get online?

Yes. All you need is an 802.11b card for your laptop.

Each of resorts with conference centers, the ones i listed above, have wireless internet in the lobbies and in the conference centers.

Unfortunatly... Port Orleans is not one of them. The only moderate resort with Wireless Internet is Coronado Springs.

I believe the charge is $10 for a continous 24 hour period. I think that's at one resort... like I don't think you can log in at one resort and then log in at another resort in the same 24 hours. But I'm not 100% sure about that.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Originally posted by Moustronaut
Yes. All you need is an 802.11b card for your laptop.

Each of resorts with conference centers, the ones i listed above, have wireless internet in the lobbies and in the conference centers.

Unfortunatly... Port Orleans is not one of them. The only moderate resort with Wireless Internet is Coronado Springs.

I believe the charge is $10 for a continous 24 hour period. I think that's at one resort... like I don't think you can log in at one resort and then log in at another resort in the same 24 hours. But I'm not 100% sure about that.

Well, from all of this, it sounds like I'll have to wait until I get back home - oh well.

I don't want to carry a laptop around property, that's silly. And I can't use dial-up because I don't have an account with any dial-up company.

Thanks for all the input people - I appreciate it.

Woody13

Originally posted by edwardtc
Well, from all of this, it sounds like I'll have to wait until I get back home - oh well.

I don't want to carry a laptop around property, that's silly. And I can't use dial-up because I don't have an account with any dial-up company.

Thanks for all the input people - I appreciate it.

Check with your ISP. I can hook up with mine via any route.....even dail-up.:eek:

Moustronaut

Or try netzero or peoplepc or whoever else has inexpensive dial up access. If you can sign up for a month for $15, it's even cheaper that two days of wireless access.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Originally posted by Woody13
Check with your ISP. I can hook up with mine via any route.....even dail-up.:eek:

Well, my work ISP is Ameritech's Business DSL Service thru Covad - no dial-up access.

My home provider is Comcast Cable Internet, also no dial-up access :(

The idea of buying one month of Net Zero really isn;t that bad of a deal! So, do i just plug my modem into the phone line in the hotel room and dial the local #? Or are there 2 phone jacks or what?

Moustronaut

Better yet just saw the commercial on TV for PeoplePC

You can try them free for 30 days and I checked, they have several local orlando numbers.

There's a data port on the side of the phone. plug a phone line into that, then connect to your laptop.

Think you have to dial 9 first but there's a card in the room that explains all that.

just remember to bring a phone cord!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom