Internet access?

Jonathan

Original Poster
I read in another thread that there was Internet access in the Magic Kingdom. Is this true? If so, where? Is there a charge? Are there places in all the parks to log on?

CTXRover

Yep, you can access the internet from all 4 Disney parks at special AT&T internet kiosks. They are usually located around areas that have regular, pay phones. They were there this August, so I imagine they are still there.

From these you can access all "Disney-owned" sites for FREE (yea! :) ), including sites for ABC, Lifetime, ESPN, Disneyworld, Disneyland, Walt Disney Pictures, Touchstone Pictures, and I think Disneyauctions, etc. For access to the rest of the internet, there is a charge. I believe it is $1.00 for every four minutes. Although steep, I found it very helpful to check my e-mail over my trip (4 minutes was plenty of time for this, with time to spare for "surfing"). In the MK, I'm pretty sure there is one near the train station. I also know there is one in the breezeway between Adventureland and Frontierland. There is others as well, but I don't remember where.

These internet stations are also at most resorts, somewhere near their lobby.

I want to add one item though, and that is that two of these internet stations had been removed from Epcot recently. There is others in Epcot, but I don't know why they removed these two. That is why I caution that they may be gradually removing them due to problems or other issues with them. Then again, maybe not.

mrtoad

Originally posted by CTXRover

I want to add one item though, and that is that two of these internet stations had been removed from Epcot recently. There is others in Epcot, but I don't know why they removed these two. That is why I caution that they may be gradually removing them due to problems or other issues with them. Then again, maybe not.

Just a guess, maybe people were going to places that are best not seen in public. I know that they could use software to protect people from doing that, but no software is foolproof. I'm sure Disney does not want some kid walking by while someone has who knows what up on the screen.

Even if their software was 100% protection against this, it would not stop what you view in Email, so it could be anything up their for the rest of the (pardon the pun) world to see.

Purdue129

Originally posted by CTXRover
Yep, you can access the internet from all 4 Disney parks at special AT&T internet kiosks. They are usually located around areas that have regular, pay phones.

I know there is one in the ABC Commisiary(sp?) in MGM. I used it to check ESPN for free for NCAA Bball Tourney scores last March.

CTXRover

Originally posted by mikebegley
Just a guess, maybe people were going to places that are best not seen in public. I know that they could use software to protect people from doing that, but no software is foolproof. I'm sure Disney does not want some kid walking by while someone has who knows what up on the screen.

That was one of my thoughts too. I hope this wasn't the case because I found them pretty convenient. Another possibility is that they were in areas where they weren't being used very much so they were moving them to higher "pedestrian" areas. (One was outside the gates near bathrooms close to Epcot's bus stops, although the other one was in the locker room area)

RogueHabit

Originally posted by tigsmom
I know the resorts have internet access in the rooms, but I'm not sure about the parks...
Not at Rort Orleans they don't, at least they didn't have it last year... I was unaware of any reort base internet access.

As far as the kiosks go, I tried one last year and they were VERY slow, very hard to use and in all were a waste of money IMHO.

Caylan79

We stayed at the Boardwalk Resort last Christmas and there was no internet access in the rooms. I was rather surprised as its a fairly common feature of more upscale or high-end hotels now.

tigsmom

Originally posted by Catch 22
Not at Rort Orleans they don't, at least they didn't have it last year... I was unaware of any reort base internet access.

As far as the kiosks go, I tried one last year and they were VERY slow, very hard to use and in all were a waste of money IMHO.

There is a port on the side of the phone in the rooms...we were told that it was in all rooms,all Resorts. We took the local Orlando phone number from our carrier (Frontier; they rent out numbers in all major cities). We had trouble connecting until we figured out you had to add the number for an outside line (think it was 9, maybe 7).Then we had no troubles...hooked up the laptop and posted daily from the Wilderness Lodge. :D

Moustronaut

Originally posted by Caylan79
We stayed at the Boardwalk Resort last Christmas and there was no internet access in the rooms. I was rather surprised as its a fairly common feature of more upscale or high-end hotels now.

All of the resorts have had a port for dial up access for your laptop or whatever for at least since 98 (my first trip as an adult). You have to pay $.75 to connect for a local call and any long distance charges for your home ISP if they don't have an 800 number or an orlando access point.

BW has AT&T internet terminals on the Inn side as part of the pay phones near the belle vue room.

None of the disney resorts have high speed internet access (except maybe swan or dolphin) or offer their own ISP. I've always thought this was kinda strange given the amount of business conference traffic at some resorts and since the Celebration Hotel (Disney's version of the B&B located across I-4) does have high speed access.

Caylan79

well, what I meant was high speed access from the room. It'd be kind of insane to pay as you go for internet access . . . although I have heard that that is more common overseas . . . I'm spoiled to free high speed here at my apartment :)

Stitch79

I found that the kiosk (used the one in the hotel) came in handy when I had to pay a bill I had forgotten about! Normally I don't like to think about those things at disney, but the circumstances didn't work that way. They are good if you happen to need them but I wouldn't use them for leisurely surfing.

As for high speed access in the rooms, I believe the Swan and Dolphin have that as part of the rehab but I'm not sure about the Disney resorts. Some of the deluxes might but you should check with the hotel to find out for sure.

Bagheera

Those resorts with convention facilities also have business centers with high-speed Internet access. I plan to try it out at the Boardwalk next month. No idea of the cost, though, so I may just dial out from the room if it's too much..

Woody13

Courtyard by Marriott offers high speed connection via wayport.net for $9.95 for your total length of stay. However, I also found some free wireless zones (both 802.11b and g).

RogueHabit

Originally posted by tigsmom
There is a port on the side of the phone in the rooms...we were told that it was in all rooms,all Resorts. We took the local Orlando phone number from our carrier (Frontier; they rent out numbers in all major cities). We had trouble connecting until we figured out you had to add the number for an outside line (think it was 9, maybe 7).Then we had no troubles...hooked up the laptop and posted daily from the Wilderness Lodge. :D
Oh, those things. Yeah, they do have those ports in the phones, but I wouldn't consider that Internet Access (just spoilt I guess :D).

I know that some holtels (non Disney) are starting to install network ports in their rooms which link to a high speed DSL or T line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom