Inspiration for Cinderella Castle

rubysparky77

Original Poster
Last year in U.S. Government, the topic of Neuschwanstein Castle came up when my teacher was discussing Germany. He said that Neuschwanstein was the main inspiration for Cinderella Castle at WDW. I argued that Neuschwanstein was actually the inspiration for Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland. Wikipedia confirms this, but also adds a snippet of information under the Cinderella Castle article that states that one of the inspirational castles for Cinderella Castle was Neuschwanstein. Can anyone elaborate on this? Thanks.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I heard that Neuschwanstein Castle was indeed ONE of the inspirations.

Also, never trust Wikipedia. :wave:

Captain Hank

Neuschwanstein castle figured heavily in the design of Sleeping Beauty Castle. If you look at Sleeping Beauty Castle from the back, the center section is based primarily on Neuschwanstein. SBC also took inspiration from other castles and landmarks, such as the Cathedral of Notre Dame.

Cinderella Castle also took some inspiration from Neuschwanstein, but not nearly as much.

PinMadness

My grandparents visited Neuschwanstein Castle.

They have a replica of it in their living room and to me it looks more like Cinderella Castle than it does Sleeping Beauty Castle.

KentB3

This quote is from Wikipedia's article about Cinderella Castle at WDW's Magic Kingdom and Tokyo Disneyland:

Cinderella Castle was inspired by several French castles, most notably Château de Pierrefonds, Château d'Ussé in France, Fontainebleau, Versailles, and the chateaux of Chenonceau, Château de Chambord, and Chaumont. Another landmark that inspired the design of the Cinderella Castle is the Neuschwanstein Castle in Füssen, Germany, which is also one of the final candidates for the New 7 Wonders of the World.

Ironically, Château d'Ussé was the inspiration for story of Sleeping Beauty, which is represented by Disneyland's castle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom