Info Books And Also Christmas Time At Wdw

Goofynana

Original Poster
Hey - two questions in one - which information books do ya'll consider the best for "inside" scoops about doing WDW?? Also we are going the first week in December for the Christmas celebrations. Where is the best information on all of this? Really don't know all that goes on that time of year. Planning on staying for the Mickey's Christmas Party after hours - but need information on what goes on during those 5 hours??? Any information appreciated. Don't want to miss anything!! Thanks

seabee1

We are going the first week in Dec. too! Going to the MVMCP on the 5th. This will be our first time going to this party. I have done a bunch of research on this site alone, and found a ton of info. Basically, you get to ride the rides with a smaller crowd, there is a parade, special fireworks, special shows, tons of character meet and greets, cookies and hot choc., snow on Main St. Pretty much sounds like a great time for all! I can't wait!

Oh, on the books- I personally enjoy Birnbaum's Official Guide, but a good friend of mine swears by the Unofficial guide. I guess it is all personal preference. And don't forget to do searches on this site and ask question. It is amazing the wealth of knowledge all these posters posess. Have a great trip and maybe we will see ya!:xmas:

rljackson

I have found that the "Unoffical Guide to Walt Disney World" has been very informative and useful. It has a great deal of information on rides and activities. We always go at Spring Break which, like Christmas, is very busy. The touring guides for each of the parks have been great for avoiding long lines and really do seem to work well when followed. You may have to give a little spontaneity, but it has worked well for us and I highly recommend using them. Have a great time, we would love to go around Christmas sometime!

wolf359

I have bought a lot of Disney travel books, and have read pretty much everything out there.

I personally swear by the PassPorter books. They have lots of information that is well laid out and easy to read. Great maps, a detailed description for most everything, and lot of tips and tricks in one place. It's the one book where I can find pretty much any bit of info I need in one book.

I started collecting Disney travel books with the Birnbaum's guides and I have them all from '89 to about '99.
The Birnbaum's books are too sanitized now to be of any real help. It's been a long time since they actually wrote an opinion about anything. It's essentially a 200 page version of the park map you get at the gate of the park.

The Unofficial Guides are poorly organized in my opinion, and have so much unnecessary "filler" information they're hard to read. They print tons and tons of reader's comments that usually differ in opinion so much that you're right back where you started not knowing if you'd like something or not.

The Disney World for Couples books are also well thought out, and were my favorite before the Passporter books. The biggest drawback is I haven't seen an updated edition for a couple years, so the newest one you may find is still probably a bit out of date.

Frommer's publishes some of the best and most consistant travel books I've ever seen but their WDW book REALLY missed the mark for me. Their coverage of the parks is pretty solid, but the secondary information is arranged a little strangely.
For example many sections are grouped geographically, not WDW-specific, so many times shops and restaurants surrounding WDW are grouped in with those IN WDW, which can be a little confusing.
The biggest letdown is the restaurant coverage. They pretty much beat you over the head in almost EVERY restaurant review that the food in WDW is expensive and lacking in food quality compared to another restaurant elsewhere. I don't think it's realistic for someone to read that and say "hey instead of eating here at EPCOT, let's all hop in the car and drive into Orlando, 'cause I read about this French restaurant that's supposed to be better than the one here..."

Hope this helps, and have a great vacation! :)

Jen Jen

I think the Unofficial Guide is hands down the best book out there. I enjoy the others, but mind the informtion in the UG to be by far the most useful and helpful.

The first week of December is a great time to go! Just be aware that Pop Warner will be there that week, so unless you're staying in a deluxe resort (or even maybe if you are, I don't know), the busses, food courts and pools may be very crowded. You may want to request a room away from any pools, because the noice level tends to stay pretty high, pretty late. Having said that, I can't imagine a more beautiful, magical time to go!

MVMCP is great, the decorations are all beautiful, the Candlelight Processional reminds you of the reason for the season, and the Osborne Spectacle of Lights is truly spectacular! I also recommend a dinner at the Liberty Tree...it just really fits the season. No matter what you do or don't do, you'll have a wonderful time!

:xmas:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom