Imagineering a Haunted Mansion for each castle park land

Disney Warrior

Original Poster
Been a long time since I posted something on this forum, hasn‘t it? Well, I will be taking every land that appeared at a Disney castle park (DLC,MK,TDL,DLP,HKDL, and SDL) and putting a haunted mansion in them.
(These rides could either be omnimovers or trackless
These are blue sky concepts

Starting with Main Street U.S.A. (and World Bazaar and Mickey Avenue)
Could be themed to a 1920s/early 20th century mansion
Adventureland (and Adventure Isle): Abandoned jungle mansion or overgrown mansion
New Orleans Square: already exists
Critter Country: a haunted animal nest? (Or an mm-styled attraction through multiple animal habitats)
Star Wars GE: one of the citadels (maybe not the Death Star)
Frontierland (and Grizzly Gulch): already exists
Fantasyland: already exists (though a haunted mansion themed to an evil wizard/spirit’s castle could be really cool)
Toontown: Mc Duck Manor (a MM-styled ride taking you on a tour of Scrooge’s house from ducktales)
Tomorrowland: alien futuristic haunted mansion
Liberty Square: already exists
Discoveryland: steampunk haunted mansion
Toy Story Land: sid’s house (not exactly haunted since they don’t like ghosts in China)
Mystic Point: already exists
World of Frozen: Elsa’s palace (not haunted, a trackless ride)
Stark Expo: sanctum sanctorum (trackless ride not haunted)
Gardens of Imagination: chinese zodiac manor (calm omnimover or trackless ride)
Treasure Cove: sunken pirate ship (would be haunted if not at SDL)
City of Zootopia: one of the city’s buildings? (Idk which one though, it could be the police station, but it wouldnt be a haunted ride)

If you have ideas write them here
If you want, you can use ai to create art (or do it without ai) or generate descriptions of these rides (or you can do it yourself)

MickeyMouse10

Starting with Main Street U.S.A. (and World Bazaar and Mickey Avenue)

I think you could actually go really scary with this one. Kinda like on the movie "IT" the attraction could take place in an orphanage that had burned down in 1916. So all of the ghosts inside are the dead children. Who were never adopted and resent visitors.

If not an orphanage than it could be a prison or asylum where all of the inmates were killed in the fire, including the ones in solitary confinement.

Disney Warrior

Original Poster
I think you could actually go really scary with this one. Kinda like on the movie "IT" the attraction could take place in an orphanage that had burned down in 1916. So all of the ghosts inside are the dead children. Who were never adopted and resent visitors.

If not an orphanage than it could be a prison or asylum where all of the inmates were killed in the fire, including the ones in solitary confinement.
That might be a bit too dark though for Disney. It could still be a haunted jail (light-hearted) or some rich guy’s house that he abandoned

Disney Dad 3000

Funny you bring this up. I've had a somewhat connected idea ruminating in my head and outline form for a bit for a unique Disney 2nd gate idea (potentially for my DL Seoul park) called Disney Manors. May just end up doing it as a standalone idea though.

It wouldn't all be Haunted Mansions though. A grand mansion with a HM style ride, would be the park centerpiece, with a village sprinkled around it as the hub/entry, and then each of the lands would have their own manors in various forms (a mountain top retreat, Futuristic villa, etc.) as the centerpiece of each with various attraction types (Coaster, shooter/dark ride, etc.). Self-contained backstories for each land and some of the attractions connected to the individual manors.

Disney Warrior

Original Poster
Funny you bring this up. I've had a somewhat connected idea ruminating in my head and outline form for a bit for a unique Disney 2nd gate idea (potentially for my DL Seoul park) called Disney Manors. May just end up doing it as a standalone idea though.

It wouldn't all be Haunted Mansions though. A grand mansion with a HM style ride, would be the park centerpiece, with a village sprinkled around it as the hub/entry, and then each of the lands would have their own manors in various forms (a mountain top retreat, Futuristic villa, etc.) as the centerpiece of each with various attraction types (Coaster, shooter/dark ride, etc.). Self-contained backstories for each land and some of the attractions connected to the individual manors.
Sounds very interesting, excited to see the rest of your resort (side note: I’ve had the idea to post this thread since at least early September but I didn’t get around to posting it until a few days ago

cdunlap

Kachina Pueblo (Frontierland Haunted Mansion):
This is a dark ride that takes guests through Hopi Mythology. Guests queue along the walls of a wide desert canyon, crossing many suspension bridges, and enter by way of a Taos Pueblo/Cliff Palace hybrid embedded into Big Thunder Mountain. Guests enter a vestibule filled with ollas, which are clay jars used by the Pueblo people to carry water, where the ride's narration begins alongside its soundtrack, a flute, drum, and rattle song that sounds eerily reminiscent of Grim Grinning Ghosts. The narration says, “Greetings and welcome to the Kachina Pueblo, curious friends. Within these ancient walls of adobe are the spirits of nature. Please proceed forward into the next room for I have such wonderful things to show you.” Guests proceed into a Kiva, which is a ceremonial chamber shaped like a circle. The narration continues, “In the teachings of the Hopi people, the world is ruled by Kachinas, or spirits, of many different types. Children of the tribe learn about these different spirits through the use of Kachina dolls made of painted wood and through many different dances performed by masked dancers. These dances illustrate the powers of the different spirits while also showing their constant struggles against each other.“ The kiva floor begins lowering slowly as the narration plays before stopping at a hallway lined with dried cornstalks, looms, painted ceramics, drums, rattles, and articles of clothing. On the wall opposite of the objects are windows which show a thunderstorm raging on the outside. Guests walk down the hall and reach the load area, where they board Omnimovers themed to the famous black on black San Ildefonso pots, referred to by the narration as Enchanted Pots. The narrator gives a safety spiel, “Please enter the enchanted pot and be seated. Do not pull down on the safety bar, please. I will lower it for you. And heed this warning: the kachinas will appear to you only if you remain quietly seated with your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the enchanted pot at all times. Oh yes, and no flash pictures, please. The Kachinas are highly sensitive to bright lights.” The vehicles ascend up a ramp and enter a dark room where the Sun Kachina rises. The narration says, “Behold Tawa, the Sun as he rises over the desert.” The next room is the blue sky where the hummingbird and eagle fly by as the narration says “The Hummingbird humming and zipping by and the eagle majestically flying and screaming are mystically enchanting.” The vehicles descend into the desert, where a lone wolf howls from a rock as the narration says, “Howl, howl, o lone wolf, howl at the Sun and moon.” Vehicles proceed into a Hopi pueblo where the Chief kachina leads a procession of warrior Kachinas as the narration says, “The great chief leads his men to victory as they prepare to leave the pueblo.” Vehicles then proceed into a pueblo village where the Koshari clowns dance around and perform acts as the narration says, “Kosharis are Hopi clowns who are also Kachinas. Watch as they play.” The vehicles enter a cave where an Ogre Kachina jumps out and roars as the narration says, “Watch your behavior or the ogre will come and get you!” The vehicles the enter the unloading area as the narrator says, “Please exit to your left by stepping away from the enchanted pots with your left foot first. Step out and stand on the moving platform.” The moving platform in question turns into a moving ramp which carries guests up to the exit.

cdunlap

This is not for a Castle Park Land, but it is still worth posting here. Sarah Winchester’s Mysterious Mansion is a trackless dark ride in Paradise Gardens Park taking guests through the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose, California, which served as an inspiration for The Haunted Mansion at the main park. The facade, while being much smaller than the real Winchester House, will be enlarged by way of forced perspective, a classic Disney illusion. Guests enter by way of a set of Wrought Iron Gates with cobwebs and queue through gardens with several bushes and flowers of all colors, shapes, and sizes dotted with statues and the classic Imagineer Tribute Graves (e.g Brother Claude, Master Gracey, Good Old Fred, etc)

Guests then load their vehicles at the front door. Vehicles enter the front doors after they swing open and immediately go through the first scene, a representation of a gallery of stained glass with lines by Shakespeare, where this attraction's Ghost Host says, “Welcome, curious guests to The Winchester Mystery House, the beautiful, bizarre mansion built by Sarah Pardee Winchester, heiress of the Winchester Repeating Arms fortune, in San Jose, California. Tormented by the guilt of victims lost to the Winchester Rifle, Madame Winchester built the dizzying Queen Anne-style structure with many odd and mysterious features. Doors that open to walls, stairways that lead to the ceiling, and many more oddities in the massive 160-room mansion. Was she simply interested in architecture, or haunted by spirits? Explore the halls and unlock the secrets to the world-famous home. Unlock doors or find yourself in terrifying rooms. Find your way in and out or walk in circles FOREVER! Ha ha ha ha ha!” As the narration plays, guests hear a music box rendition of Danse Macabre, the attraction's main theme.

Vehicles then move into two doors that creak open as cold air blasts out and the Ghost Host says, “Though some say that this mysterious house is nothing more than the product of an eccentric woman’s mind, others say that the very spirits that Sarah tried to please with the constant building, remain in residence.” Vehicles then enter The Grand Ballroom as the Ghost Host says, “One ghost that is said to linger is that of a handyman that continues to repair a fireplace in the Grand Ballroom. The black-haired man has often been seen pushing a spectral wheelbarrow or working on the fireplace. Others have reported feeling the “presence” of someone or something in the ballroom. The elegant gold and silver chandelier in the grand ballroom swings by itself on occasion.“ Vehicles go in and pass the ghostly handyman fixing the fireplace and the swinging chandelier. A ghostly orchestra plays Danse Macabre.

Vehicles then ascend a ramp as the Ghost Host says, “Behold Sarah's Attic, a newly discovered room. The space formerly boarded up and containing a pump organ, a Victorian couch, a dress form, sewing machines, paintings, china dolls, and several guns of the family brand. It's been boarded up since Sarah's death in 1922 and unexplored since. It's a spirited place for those "aiming" to encounter fun with a paranormal twist.” Guests enter the attic and see all the objects listed and the Ghost of Sarah Winchester. Dressed in a veil and glowing in a whitish-blue tint, she weeps for her husband and the lives lost at the hands of his rifle. Beside the ghost is an old photograph of Sarah and her husband William. The pump organ plays Danse Macabre.

Guests then descend a ramp, passing by an infinite staircase, with small steps that loop in a square shape and ghost footprints pacing about them. The Ghost Host says, “The Winchester Mystery House has 160 rooms including 40 bedrooms. We are about to enter one, but first let us behold the infinite staircase!” Vehicles then enter a bedroom where they see the ghost of a thin young woman resting suddenly sinking into the very deep mattress and sheets. A music box plays Danse Macabre.

The final scene is an endless hallway effect mixed with both the Corridor of Doors and the Mirror Ghost effect. Guests proceed down a hall with a mirror at the end, making it seem endless. Knocks come from behind boarded up doors as The Ghost Host says, “Some think the winding hallways and labyrinthine layout were designed to confuse the ghosts and spirits Sarah supposedly thought were haunting her, allowing her to live in peace in her new home. Look, I think Sarah has come to bid you farewell.” Guests look in the mirror and see Sarah's ghost as she appeared in the attic. The ghost says, ”Please hurry back someday, it gets awfully lonely in such a large manor and I am just dying to meet your friends!“

Vehicles then exit through a greenhouse and return to the front door where the Ghost Host says, “Although she died in 1922, Sarah Winchester, a woman of independence, drive, and courage, lives on in both Californian history and legend to this day. I hope you enjoyed the tour of the Winchester Mystery House and its mysterious rooms. Farewell, my dear friends and enjoy your day.” Guests unload and wander through the gardens before entering the stables, home to The Museum Of The Weird.

The Museum Of The Weird is an interactive walkthrough section taking guests through bizarre exhibits. Guests wait in the foyer of the museum, lined with Crump styled Tikis as Danse Macabre plays. When the time is right, guests enter a doorway that says Museum Of The Weird at Castillo Real. Guests enter a chamber with Victorian designs covering everything as Danse Macabre is played on a pipe organ. Guests see the human faced chair, who says, "Welcome to The Museum Of The Weird! The exhibits are in dire need of help, The Candle is melting, the Plant is crazy, and Leota’s woeful. Help the museum!” Guests then enter a chamber with five doors, one of which they just exited from as Danse Macabre plays. This chamber is an octagonal room decorated with darkly comical paintings on the walls and gargoyle lighting fixtures. Guests find The Wax Candle Man, who cries out in pain, “Extinguish me or else I will melt!” as frantic violin plays. They help him escape from the flames by way of a door feeling maze. If they touch a hot door, there is fire behind it. Then, guests avoid the tendrils of the Man Eating Plant in a Laser Maze themed to a greenhouse. Finally, they find Madame Leota, who weeps, "Oh! My lost orb in my cart. I need it to do my magic!” Guests then navigate a mirror maze to find The Orb inside of the wagon. At the end, Leota says’ “Thanks!” Guests exit through a small chamber lined with suits of multinational armor, portraits of European kings and queens, April-December and the other Changing Portraits, and carved faces of Aztec warriors, all of which seem to watch guests as they pass. An orchestral version of Danse Macabre hauntingly plays on an echoing loop as guests exit back into Paradise Gardens Park.

Last edited:

WaltWiz1901

Fantasyland: already exists (though a haunted mansion themed to an evil wizard/spirit’s castle could be really cool)
Tokyo's Haunted Mansion is, in essence, almost the same as the MK Liberty Square mansion, location in Fantasyland notwithstanding (it was originally going to go in Westernland, but the spot it was earmarked for ultimately became home to Big Thunder Mountain after the OLC saw how successful it was at the American parks and wanted one for TDL).

Other ideas for a Fantasyland mansion I've seen include:
- orlando678-'s idea for a Haunted Chateau for TDL
- a Loire Valley chateau (from S.W. Wilson's 2017 TDL buildout)
- a gothic European vampire palace (from his most recent TDL buildout)
- a haunted castle (from his most recent Shanghai buildout)

MickeyMouse10

Liberty Square: already exists

Yep, it does.

But a version with the U.S. Presidents as the specters would be pretty cool too. Picture Abe Lincoln, George Washington and John Adams as the Hitchhiking Ghosts.

If Liberty Square isn't an option it could always be put on Main Street U.S.A., like Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. Because it is very American themed much like Liberty Square. Plus that would give us more options for possible parks.

Last edited:

cdunlap

Yep, it does.

But a version with the U.S. Presidents as the specters would be pretty cool too. Picture Abe Lincoln, George Washington and John Adams as the Hitchhiking Ghosts.

If Liberty Square isn't an option it could always be put on Main Street U.S.A., like Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. Because it is very American themed much like Liberty Square. Plus that would give us more options for possible parks.
Another cool option would be ghosts from all different eras of US history(e.g Civil War soldiers locked eternally in battle, Revolutionary War troops eternally marching, Salem witches flying, Ghosts of the Calvary protecting the mansion from enemies, maybe even throw ghosts and evil spirits from some Indigenous myths in there.) The facade could look like this:
IMG_2730.jpeg

MickeyMouse10

Another cool option would be ghosts from all different eras of US history(e.g Civil War soldiers locked eternally in battle, Revolutionary War troops eternally marching, Salem witches flying, Ghosts of the Calvary protecting the mansion from enemies, maybe even throw ghosts and evil spirits from some Indigenous myths in there.) The facade could look like this:View attachment 752673

I love it, that would be an instant classic. Plus I live about 40 minutes away from Salem, so I'm really into the late 1600's - 1800's and Witches.

Disney Dad 3000

Yep, it does.

Couldn't help but think of this old SNL skit
snlxprescard.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom