I'm Hungry

Hockey89

View attachment 486202
Menu Transcript from the DIS.

Here's the menu, and yes, there are some safer items there. But the average American does not typically eat tofu, or octopus, or cassava, or lamb, or kimchi, or farofa because these are typically Latin, African, or Asian cuisine as the restaurant advertises. I personally recall trying falafel for the first time here. Yes, I recognize that things like the "A lot at Steak" and the "Tastes like Chicken" are relatively accessible, but that does not make the whole menu uninspired and dull.
People really don’t eat lamb or tofu? falafel is pretty awesome. Asian and Latin food are some of the most popular food in this country. I agree African flavors not as mainstream and Kimchi is outside the mainstream. I love Kimchi

Lilofan

People really don’t eat lamb or tofu? falafel is pretty awesome. Asian and Latin food are some of the most popular food in this country. I agree African flavors not as mainstream and Kimchi is outside the mainstream. I love Kimchi
Kimchi is good for digestion and I love the little plates of everything that goes with the Korean barbeque in Vegas, NYC and LA.

jaklgreen

View attachment 486202

Here's the menu, and yes, there are some safer items there. But the average American does not typically eat tofu, or octopus, or cassava, or lamb, or kimchi, or farofa because these are typically Latin, African, or Asian cuisine as the restaurant advertises. I personally recall trying falafel for the first time here. Yes, I recognize that things like the "A lot at Steak" and the "Tastes like Chicken" are relatively accessible, but that does not make the whole menu uninspired and dull.

My American kids would eat almost everything on that menu. Except tofu, but not because it is "out there', it is just gross. The menu has steak, chicken, pork, fish, seafood, and a vegetarian dish, none of which is strange or different. All of these things can be found anywhere USA. With the exception of some tiny town. Our family has had all of the stuff that is listed on that menu at one time or another. Being raised by European parents, I was exposed to different foods and I wanted to give my kids that same experience. My fully American husband, who was raised on tater tot casserole, was not exposed to different foods. I did not want that for my kids so I took my kids to the store and involved them in the meals. We made it fun to try new things and they got very excited going to places like WDW to be able to try different foods. The only reason the 'Mericans think that any of these foods are "out there" is because they choose not to even try anything different. Which is really sad because there is so much good food out there. And America is made up of many different cultures, I don't think you can really say what the "average American" typically eats. All of these ingredients are at local markets, even in the mid west, where I live. So people obviously do eat these things. FYI, my kids LOVE lamb.

Hockey89

My American kids would eat almost everything on that menu. Except tofu, but not because it is "out there', it is just gross. The menu has steak, chicken, pork, fish, seafood, and a vegetarian dish, none of which is strange or different. All of these things can be found anywhere USA. With the exception of some tiny town. Our family has had all of the stuff that is listed on that menu at one time or another. Being raised by European parents, I was exposed to different foods and I wanted to give my kids that same experience. My fully American husband, who was raised on tater tot casserole, was not exposed to different foods. I did not want that for my kids so I took my kids to the store and involved them in the meals. We made it fun to try new things and they got very excited going to places like WDW to be able to try different foods. The only reason the 'Mericans think that any of these foods are "out there" is because they choose not to even try anything different. Which is really sad because there is so much good food out there. And America is made up of many different cultures, I don't think you can really say what the "average American" typically eats. All of these ingredients are at local markets, even in the mid west, where I live. So people obviously do eat these things. FYI, my kids LOVE lamb.
I agree with all of this. There is nothing worse then going out to lunch or dinner with an adult that eats like a 2 year old.

Chicken Guy

Any food can be found in America, but we’re talking about whether it is commonly eaten. Congratulations on your diverse taste, but are you trying to tell me that lamb, tofu, and octopus are as commonly eaten in America as food like chicken, pasta, and cod? It just isn’t so. I do not mean to put down this food, but only to say that it is uncommon in most American circumstances.

Hockey89

Any food can be found in America, but we’re talking about whether it is commonly eaten. Congratulations on your diverse taste, but are you trying to tell me that lamb, tofu, and octopus are as commonly eaten in America as food like chicken, pasta, and cod? It just isn’t so. I do not mean to put down this food, but only to say that it is uncommon in most American circumstances.
I have a hell of a lot more lamb than cod. I know tons of people that eat lamb and tofu. Octopus not as much but it is still eaten a lot. I do have to say it is a very hard ingredient to cook well but it’s amazing when right

PS WHO LIKES COD MORE THAN LAMB.

Chicken Guy

I have a hell of a lot more lamb than cod. I know tons of people that eat lamb and tofu. Octopus not as much but it is still eaten a lot. I do have to say it is a very hard ingredient to cook well but it’s amazing when right

PS WHO LIKES COD MORE THAN LAMB.

If you don’t mind my asking, what region of the US do you live in? Because that is certainly not what the cuisine is like in the Northeast.

Archie123

View attachment 486202

No one said that the whole menu was uninspired and dull. We are just saying that there is nothing on that menu that is exotic and I think you are underestimating that more and more people are eating many of the things on that menu that they may not have eaten in the past.

Hockey89

If you don’t mind my asking, what region of the US do you live in? Because that is certainly not what the cuisine is like in the Northeast.
Funny. Grew up in Nh. School in CT and lived in the North End of Boston for ten years. Live in the burbs now. If you want Lamb, Mistral in Boston. Not sure what part of NE you live. There are certainly parts of NE that are old school for sure but plenty are not.

Chicken Guy

No one said that the whole menu was uninspired and dull. We are just saying that there is nothing on that menu that is exotic and I think you are underestimating that more and more people are eating many of the things on that menu that they may not have eaten in the past.

So because more people are eating exotic food, it is no longer exotic?
Funny. Grew up in Nh. School in CT and lived in the North End of Boston for ten years. Live in the burbs now. If you want Lamb, Mistral in Boston. Not sure what part of NE you live. There are certainly parts of NE that are old school for sure but plenty are not.

Honesty you could find anything up here if you look hard enough. I just don’t think that exotic food being eaten more often makes it any less exotic.

jaklgreen

I see lamb on almost all menus at restaurants now. So obviously, people are eating it. I think that you are confusing what YOU commonly eat, to what many other Americans do. We tend to forget that America is made up of many cultures, each having their own "normal". Go to the grocery store and look at what people buy. Yes, beef and chicken are the most purchased proteins, but that does not mean that the others are what you call "exotic". They just tend to be more expensive and thus eaten less often, not because people don't like them. When I see lamb chops on sale, I buy them and freeze them. In fact, I took some out of the freezer yesterday and plan no making them for dinner today. Again, I live in the middle of the Country where meat and potato are king. And I do see plenty of people who refuse to even try anything different. But refusal to eat something different, does not make the other foods in any way weird or exotic.

Hockey89

I see lamb on almost all menus at restaurants now. So obviously, people are eating it. I think that you are confusing what YOU commonly eat, to what many other Americans do. We tend to forget that America is made up of many cultures, each having their own "normal". Go to the grocery store and look at what people buy. Yes, beef and chicken are the most purchased proteins, but that does not mean that the others are what you call "exotic". They just tend to be more expensive and thus eaten less often, not because people don't like them. When I see lamb chops on sale, I buy them and freeze them. In fact, I took some out of the freezer yesterday and plan no making them for dinner today. Again, I live in the middle of the Country where meat and potato are king. And I do see plenty of people who refuse to even try anything different. But refusal to eat something different, does not make the other foods in any way weird or exotic.
It’s also nice that you can buy short ribs and lamb shanks at most places now. It’s great. Cheap. Just need a long braise.

UNCgolf

I would guess well over 50% of Americans have never eaten tofu. That's the kind of thing that's far more common if you live in a large city, but even then significant amounts of the people there won't eat it. A huge number of Americans don't eat much beyond beef, chicken, and pork.

In fact, the way Disney restaurants have become more and more homogenized should tell you something about that. It's obviously a measure to increase profitability because they weren't making enough money/getting enough guests at restaurants that relied on more "exotic" options.

Last edited:

Hockey89

I would guess well over 50% of Americans have never eaten tofu. That's the kind of thing that's far more common if you live in a large city, but even then significant amounts of the people there won't eat it. A huge number of Americans don't eat much beyond beef, chicken, and pork.

In fact, the way Disney restaurants have become more and more homogenized should tell you something about that. It's obviously a measure to increase profitability because they weren't making enough money/getting enough guests at restaurants that relied on more "exotic" options.
Mapo Tofu is amazing. Fried is great. Just need need to add texture.

A lot of that second portion is because of the DDP. They had to dumb it down. Your take could be correct but it was noticed soon after DDP took off

jaklgreen

I think that a big issue with some people when it comes to ordering something is that they assume that something is "exotic" by the way the menu is written. When the menu for Skipper got posted, at first glance it might look, as some say, "exotic". But really, it is not much more then meat and veg. I think with less and less people learning how to cook, and eating more processed food, that their palates are much more limited then their parent's and grandparent's. It has done a big disservice to our younger generation to limit their exposure to different types of foods. It all starts when you are young. If you are exposed to a variety of food, you will enjoy a wider variety as you grow. Nobody is going to like every single type of food out there. But you don't know what you will like if you are too close minded to try it. That is what I see from many people where I live. They just flat out refuse to try anything new. And worse, they don't expose their kids to different foods either. But those closed minded people do not speak for everyone. There are plenty of Americans that eat a wide variety of foods.

UNCgolf

Mapo Tofu is amazing. Fried is great. Just need need to add texture.

A lot of that second portion is because of the DDP. They had to dumb it down. Your take could be correct but it was noticed soon after DDP took off

I think the DDP reason is tied in with what I said. They wanted people to use the DDP and didn't want to deal with complaints about what the restaurants were serving. That's not the only reason, of course -- lots of other stuff about the DDP.

I wish the DDP would disappear along with FP+.

Hockey89

I think the DDP reason is tied in with what I said. They wanted people to use the DDP and didn't want to deal with complaints about what the restaurants were serving. That's not the only reason, of course -- lots of other stuff about the DDP.

I wish the DDP would disappear along with FP+.
100% about DDP and FP+. FP+ has crushed the experience for the worse. It’s terrible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom