I almost missed the boat on FP+ reservations

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
I knew the time was coming up, but when I checked this past weekend, the window had not opened up for me.

Well it did shortly after that. I'm glad I opted to check again today. I got everything we wanted, though it's mostly mid morning and early afternoon. I tried to avoid the late afternoon only because I'd rather try to get new FP+ once I used up the three that they give us.

I will say that I hate how this is setup. It works ok in MK, given the number of attractions to use it on, but less so at EP and HS.

Herdman

This will be our first time with the new system when we go later this year. I have a feeling I'm going to like the old paper system better.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
This will be our first time with the new system when we go later this year. I have a feeling I'm going to like the old paper system better.
We've been doing it for a while now, and that's what is getting my goat. I should been more attentive. I didn't really miss out, thankfully as I was able secure the things my family wanted.

If they allowed an easier way of securing additional FP+ after you used up the three, that would be go a long way. Instead you have to find a kiosk, wait in line for your turn, and then try to get another FP+. The system the last time I used the kiosk was not the most intuitive and I don't think I was the only one, given how busy the CM was trying to help everyone.

CaptainAmerica

We've been doing it for a while now, and that's what is getting my goat. I should been more attentive. I didn't really miss out, thankfully as I was able secure the things my family wanted.
This is the conventional wisdom so I don't blame you for feeling like you do, but it's completely overblown. Unless you're going during an extremely busy time, you could make your Fastpass+ reservations a day or two before and still get solid options. I just checked for tomorrow and Splash, Space, Thunder, and Peter Pan are all still available. That's next-day during President's Week, when a lot of kids are out of school. People act like you're doomed if you're not in the system right at 60 days out, but that simply isn't the case. It's nothing but hype built on the hysteria of dining reservations 180 days out from something like Free Dine. (Even the 180-day dining thing is overblown.)

If they allowed an easier way of securing additional FP+ after you used up the three, that would be go a long way. Instead you have to find a kiosk, wait in line for your turn, and then try to get another FP+. The system the last time I used the kiosk was not the most intuitive and I don't think I was the only one, given how busy the CM was trying to help everyone.
My understanding is that the kiosks are temporary and they're looking to do exactly what you suggest. I believe you'll be able to make those selections from the MDX app eventually.

Last edited:

SAV

Instead you have to find a kiosk, wait in line for your turn, and then try to get another FP+.

Is it that much different from going to the old FP machine, waiting in the line for your turn and then try to get another FP?

I must be in the minority because I found the new system to be much easier to plan out my day since going in I knew I had 3 ride times already pre-determined and would be able to plan around them. I also found the kiosk to be rather easy to use.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
Is it that much different from going to the old FP machine, waiting in the line for your turn and then try to get another FP?
I can't recall really having to deal with much lines for the old machines. Maybe having one or two people in front of me, at most. Now, there's more people and the wait is longer.

CaptainAmerica

I can't recall really having to deal with much lines for the old machines. Maybe having one or two people in front of me, at most. Now, there's more people and the wait is longer.
But the walk is much shorter. Hiking between Big Thunder and Space or Kilimanjaro and Everest is a much longer journey than from wherever you happen to be in the park to the nearest kiosk.

Herdman

I'm guessing now you have to wait until it's your turn at the kiosk to see if the ride you want is still available at a time you want? I liked walking up to the ride and seeing the display of the new FP return time without spending time in line for something you may not want.

Rob562

I'm guessing now you have to wait until it's your turn at the kiosk to see if the ride you want is still available at a time you want? I liked walking up to the ride and seeing the display of the new FP return time without spending time in line for something you may not want.

Correct. Though you may also have multiple times available to choose from. On the old ticket system, you either took what the machine was currently printing, or you skipped it. If it overlapped your dinner reservations, oh well.

With MDE you can also go into the app and edit the attraction or time choice of those additional FP+ selections after the fact. (Good luck on doing that with the paper system)

-Rob

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
Yup, there are no longer kiosk by each ride to get a FP, but rather a couple of centralized locations. The lines are longer as is the level of frustration.

Either way, I'm happy I was able to lock in my FP+ reservations when I almost missed it I found out Thunder Mountain is closed during our stay, I'm bummed out about that. TM is one of my kids favorite ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom