I-4 versus 417?

Trisha Lynn

Original Poster
For reasons, when we do our WDW vacation next year, we're going to rent a car at MCO and hit the supermarket (the Publix on Narcoosee) before heading to Port Orleans French Quarter. According to Google Maps, there's only a four minute difference between taking 417 to the resort hotel and taking I-4. It also looks like there are more toll stations on I-4. Some questions:
  • Am I correct in assuming that it is better to take 417 over I-4?
  • About what time would rush hour start on 417?
  • I've never been to Florida before and the only reason why I agreed with my hobbit that we can get a rental car is if he let me drive to the resort. How good is the wayfinding and signage when you get close?
  • Where are the lowest cost gas stations along that route for refilling the car before turning it in at the airport?
Thanks so much in advance.

oupiglet

I-4 is not a toll road, 417 is. Traffic starts around 3:30pm but you never really know what you'll get. There is construction on I-4. Signage to the parks is pretty clear on the main roadways. I find the signage worse once inside Disney property than outside. (I live just north of Orlando).

disney4life2008

I-4 is not a toll road, 417 is. Traffic starts around 3:30pm but you never really know what you'll get. There is construction on I-4. Signage to the parks is pretty clear on the main roadways. I find the signage worse once inside Disney property than outside. (I live just north of Orlando).

If you are trying to avoid traffic and people that can't drive, avoid i4. 417 is a toll toad, lots of tolls, fast moving traffic. It depends on the day.

Trisha Lynn

Original Poster
What's the toll price right now? Is there a cash lane or do I have to get a transponder with the car rental?

Pghdrumr

What's the toll price right now? Is there a cash lane or do I have to get a transponder with the car rental?

I would avoid the transponder with a rental car. They are more expensive.
There is a cash lane at each toll location. I believe the total is $3 each way. Much less than the rental car company will charge.

We always take 417 from MCO to WDW. I hate driving on I4 - There are crazy drivers on that road. You'll want to take the South Exit out of the airport - that will get you to 417. Once on 417, there are 2 tolls before you get to the WDW exit. $1.50 each. I don't know the Publix on Narcoosee. We go to the Publix near the Outlets - If you want directions to that let me know. There may be a different toll for the Narcoosee exi, so you should bring quarters with you. Most, but not all of the tolls are manned, but there's a couple that you need coins for exact change.

Trisha Lynn

Original Poster
We go to the Publix near the Outlets - If you want directions to that let me know. There may be a different toll for the Narcoosee exi, so you should bring quarters with you. Most, but not all of the tolls are manned, but there's a couple that you need coins for exact change.

Seeing as I'm compromising with my hobbit on renting a car versus arriving via the awesome Magical Express, I'd rather use a supermarket closest to the airport so that once I'm on the freeway, there's no other stops between me and the POFQ and that looked to be the closest one. Where on the route are the Outlets?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom