hurricanes and disney

tinks

:eek: We will be in disney aug 28th thru sept 4th. i'm stressing out! What does disney do if a hurricane hits and does wdw usually get hit ???
oh and on another topic-We are staying at cbr and we have priority seating at cinderellas royal table for breakfast @ 8:20 am. how long do you think i should give us to get there from the resort??? :wave:

Laura

Premium Member
WDW almost never gets hit as far as I know. Last year was a freak thing. I am not a bit worried about hurricanes affecting my trip.

Upvote 0

DisneyBunny

If you do a thread search there are quite a few threads from last year that go into detail about what happens in the event of a hurricane.

I was there for Jeanne last year. I felt perfectly safe, and we never lost power or anything. It was actually a nice respite from the parks for a day. It was such a great trip that we're doing it again the same time this year. I'm not worried at all either.

Upvote 0

pluto3198

We were there when Hurricane Francis was projected to hit in September of 1999. It was the first time that Disney had closed their parks up until that time. All theme parks, water parks and Downtown Disney were closed. The only places open were the hotels. Disney moved everyone out of Fort Wilderness and into hotels for safety.

The hotel staff handed out flashlights and instructions (stay away from windows, keep curtain closed, fill tub with fresh water, stay indoors) to all guests. We stocked up on supplies (snacks, soda, beer, water) from the hotel store - we were staying at Port Orleans Riverside. Disney discounted food/drink prices in store by 20 to 30%. The food court and restuarant were open with more discounts - and a very long wait.

We deceided to get a pizza from the food court and hang out in the lounge. Hotel employees were very helpful despite the fact that it was insanely busy and I am sure they were worried about their own homes while they were away at work.

The hurricane made a turn to the north at the last minute leaving Florida with passing showers and wind. The only park to open the next day was Animal Kingdom - employees had to report to care for the animlas anyway. The park was open only to guests staying in Disney hotels. The park opened slowly and in stages as employees were able to report into work. Also Downtown Disney reopened that day as well.

By the following day all of Disney World was operating as normal.

I would not hesitate to make the trip. Disney handled the situation very professionally. At no time did we feel unsafe. In fact, we made our trip last year in September of last year between the hurricanes and would do so again.

Upvote 0

MissM

Don't stress your trip. There's no way to know or predict when and where a hurricane will hit - they can hit anywhere in Florida, not just Orlando area. However, you normally have a few days warning that one is coming in your general direction and there are very good safety procedures in place at Disney. Of course they're going to do everything they possibly can to ensure guests are not injured or harmed in anyway.

Hurricane season runs from June 1st - November 31st but it's not like there are hurricanes every day. And it's not like tornados that literally appear out of nowhere.
-m

Upvote 0

KnK

We have been there a couple of times during hurricanes. They do a great job of keeping everything going as smoothly as possibly. Closing the parks is one of the very last things they want to do, so it has to be really bad.

Don't worry. I am going again the second week of September and I am not the least bit worried!

Upvote 0

I dont think you should worry. Ill be going up there this Sat. 27th also. The storm that is threatning Florida for this weekend is not supposed to even become a Hurricane and should be in and out of Florida by Mid Sat afternoon. We will most definitely get alot of rain but nothing major. This storm is actually forcasted to come in through Broward county which is were I live. Better to through a Storm in Disney than stuck at home.

Upvote 0

lawyergirl77

Like other posters have said - if you read some past threads, you'll see that a) hurricanes rarely hit Orlando and b) even if they do, WDW is an incredibly safe place to be.

You can put your mind at ease by going to the National Hurricane Center at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

The only thing around Florida right now is a tropical depression... While those storms are no fun, they are definitely NOT hurricanes! :)

We'll be there at the same time as you, and while the thought has crossed my mind, I am definitely not stressing out about it. What are you going to do? Cancel your trip because a hurricane could potentially maybe perhaps hit WDW? They aren't tracking anything right now, so that would definitely be inadvisable, to say the least!

Have a great trip! I know I will!!! :wave:

Upvote 0

pinkrose

I wouldn't worry about this storm that's coming through this weekend. Like the otheres have said, WDW has great hurricane procedures. This storm isn't going to be a big one anyway. Enjoy your trip! :)

Upvote 0

kengels

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom