Hurricane Milton coming to FL

vikescaper

Is everyone prepared
If you call it being prepared, I have plenty of beer (and water and food) at the house. Finished boarding up the windows today and going to secure a few small things in the yard early in the day on Tuesday. 100% not mentally prepared. I always have hated bad thunderstorms so this is like times 100000 for me.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Oof. Eyewall replacement cycle?

Hopefully he hits some cooler water before the new eye is solid

Touchdown

Original Poster
IMG_6714.jpeg

DisneyCane

From experience I'd turn off my Ac, TV, and other electrical items when I know the Cat 1,2,3 is coming across. I've learned when back in the day when the power goes out my TV got fried when we were watching TV. Having surge protector outlets help but better safe than sorry I turned off my AC so that doesn’t get fried when the power goes out. Our neighbors were really worried about the guy down the street at that time who had roof solar panels. Those could be flying missles in a Cat 3. A number of neighbors cleaned out a lot of stuff out of their garage to squeeze their two vehicles to fit inside. Good luck to you.
If they are installed to code they aren't any different than the roof itself. If they are ripped off, lots of roof pieces will be flying missiles from other houses as well.

Lilofan

I hope and pray that the storm stays slightly south of Tampa. If it is slightly north the storm surge damage is going to be unfathomable. If you are in those evacuation areas get the heck out ASAP!
Mayor Castor advises that if the path is accurate with the predicted 12 ft storm surge the entire Pinellas county which includes St Petersburg , Clearwater etc will be completely under water. Challenging to do to leave now with reporting that multiple gas stations on interstate and local are already out of gas.

Last edited:

Lilofan

In St. Petersburg, they are scheduled to start picking up debris this coming Monday. I don’t know if Milton will change this plan but I am thankful that my neighborhood wasn’t impacted to hard. I know several people at work that got hit hard and I am worried about them with this storm.
If I were you I’d be getting out of Dodge ASAP with Mayor Castor advising Pinellas County would be under water if the path is accurate and with the 12 ft storm surge.

John park hopper

Storm surge is a killer if you are dumb enough to think you can ride it out have enough sense to write you social security number and name with permanent marker on your chest. It will make it easier to identify your body. Hurricane Hugo we had a 17' storm surge measured at our town boat landing (on intracoastal waterway) We are a couple of miles from the ocean (ocean-barrier islands-marsh -town of Mcclellanvile SC)We headed inland at the last minute-had friends who stayed they had 5' of water in the house and managed to get to the second floor. Thankfully no one was killed.

drkarcher22

Mayor Castor advises that if the path is accurate with the predicted 12 ft storm surge the entire Pinellas county which includes St Petersburg , Clearwater etc will be completely under water. Challenging to do to leave now with reporting that multiple gas stations on interstate and local are already out of gas.
My mom has a childhood friend in St Petersburg who refuses to leave. I told her to let him know that I would drive up from southeast Florida and get them but he isn’t budging. It’s infuriating listening to him come up with reasons to not go all the whole my mom is terrified that one of her friends is all but killing them self over pride.

DisneyCane

That's an issue created largely by people who aren't in an evacuation zone deciding to evacuate to avoid inconveniences like power outages. If you aren't subject to evacuation orders you should prepare and hunker down and leave the limited highway capacity and available fuel for people whose lives are at risk. You can live without AC for a few days, there are people who will be killed if they can't get out of the highest risk areas.

DisneyCane

Storm surge is a killer if you are dumb enough to think you can ride it out have enough sense to write you social security number and name with permanent marker on your chest. It will make it easier to identify your body. Hurricane Hugo we had a 17' storm surge measured at our town boat landing (on intracoastal waterway) We are a couple of miles from the ocean (ocean-barrier islands-marsh -town of Mcclellanvile SC)We headed inland at the last minute-had friends who stayed they had 5' of water in the house and managed to get to the second floor. Thankfully no one was killed.
People don't seem to comprehend how powerful water is. All you need to do is visit the wave pool at TL and see how far the waves push you and those are designed for fun. The force of storm surge from a hurricane is orders of magnitude higher.

DisneyCane

My mom has a childhood friend in St Petersburg who refuses to leave. I told her to let him know that I would drive up from southeast Florida and get them but he isn’t budging. It’s infuriating listening to him come up with reasons to not go all the whole my mom is terrified that one of her friends is all but killing them self over pride.
All you can do is make the offer. If somebody is that stubborn you can't force them to go with you. You did your part, it's up to them to accept your help.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom